CD changer under the passenger seat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red is the colour...

Seems strange, all the Philips stereo's were Red display at the time and the MM cars had green displays!

My MG has an old JVC cassette radio with changer in the boot and the display is a perfect match for the green dashboard. These days i think you can set the colour to what ever you want on some units, not sure how they do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jez View Post
      My MG has an old JVC cassette radio with changer in the boot and the display is a perfect match for the green dashboard. These days i think you can set the colour to what ever you want on some units, not sure how they do that.
      Im not sure on that too,it must be a vari-colour LED or something. I fitted a kenwood unit to mine which is modern but doesnt look too new it was the only one i could find that the display matched the digi dash's greeny blue colour. When i got it I wasnt too happy that there was a USB port under a cover on the front. However this has turned out to be the best thing about it, I have an 8GB memory stick and stored hundreds of tracks on it so i dont keep cds in the car at all

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV View Post
        wonder if it's the same one Matthew Semple has?
        No I have a Philips R741 as fitted to some MGFs. Mine is a later unit and has MG on it rather than Rover.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. Under the seat it will go and i will try the Velcro option, to avoid putting any holes in the carpet. The Phillips R960 is a vast improvement in sound over the factory R570. Also fitted 4 JVC speakers behind original grills, so with the CD changer all my 80s classics have never sounded so good!
          I'd be surprised if the R960 sounds that much better than a R570 - did you fit the new speakers at the same time? More likely explanation of a vast improvement and well worth doing because the standard speakers were hopeless.

Comment

speakers first

No the JVC speakers were fitted first, the same as in my MG Maestro. I was surprised the R570 sounded noticeably worse than the R670 standard in the MG. The R960 has a lot more grunt.

I have now realized that speakers tend to disintegrate over time. All 8 speakers from both Maestros were falling to bits when I brought them, the MGF speakers were the same, and two almost unused expensive pioneer speakers i had kept in the loft for 20 years fell to bits when I got them out!

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. Under the seat it will go and i will try the Velcro option, to avoid putting any holes in the carpet. The Phillips R960 is a vast improvement in sound over the factory R570. Also fitted 4 JVC speakers behind original grills, so with the CD changer all my 80s classics have never sounded so good!
              The R3 Rover 200 Series had the optional CD autochanger mounted underneath the passenger's front seat; I don't know whether the mounting kit could be used for your Maestro?

Later Rover 25s and MG ZRs had the CD autochanger mounted beneath the nearside rear ledge in the loadspace area, which the left hand side of the parcel shelf rests against.

Comment

I cannot remember the exact specification of the outputs but I always thought the R570 and R670 were the same unit apart from the fact that the R670 also had auto reverse. I guess it is possible that you had a particularly duff unit that was worse than the R670 you had.

Comment

By the way - does anyone know if the lead between the R960 and the CD Changer the same as the lead required for the R741?

Comment

Working...
                  X