Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you

Comment

I used standard EFi ECUs on my O series 16v conversion and it detonated and melted a piston so be careful when choosing ecus mine did have
      10:1 compresion ratio though

Comment

cheers Russ wont mess with them then leave the ones it is running since 1996 when the conversion was done

Comment

Interesting topic this.

My maestro is M16, and have had it off the road for a year doing major rework all over. Part of this was totally cleaning the engine bay and engine (all covered in wax-oil). This set-up uses the original M16 loom plus ECU. The ECU designed for the engine is the only logical solution - it includes to lambda sensor etc in the map plus a diagnostic plug which all helps.

When I got it it had no conversion wiring diagram, so I've buzzed out every connection both in the engine bay and the splicing into the main Meastro loom. Drawn a complete diagram and now know what every relay does and every connector into the fuse box, and ECU !

Mines got a Rover 200 series fusebox and the loom from the M series engine - I buzzed out every internal connection of this too to get the full picture. That was a Ba**ard but worth it in the end.

The installation I had was generally ok, but I did 3 main mods :
          1. Change mid and rear exhaust sections to 2" bore, plus some clearances tweaking.
          2. Increased the clearance at the front cross member cut-out ( the power steering pump had evidence of hitting the top pipe elbow)
          3. Modified the wiring so the pump runs via the in-line resistor as per O-Series set-up, with a link to the starter for starting 'pump boost'. The maestro pump is not immersed in the fuel like later Rovers, so should not (so I've been told) be run continually at 12V.

Will do some pics if it helps.

I've got a pdf copy of the official Rover workshop guide for this series engine - can post it up if you haven't already got one.

Comment

not quite the power hike I remember, it was adding 30bhp more!!

here:

http://www.rovertech.net/forum/viewt...?f=32&t=110482

Comment

still thinking about putting the t16 turbo in but not 100 % as i would like the power as i was thinking of doing a few track days is the wireing for the t16 turbo and the m16 the same?? both the engine are fitted with a dizzy

Comment

If you want power then a t16 turbo is great in a maestro, decimates 90% (or possibly higher) of what is out on the roads today mainly because of the power to weight. Not sure about the wiring though, I got help there

Comment

power to weight will be good as no rear seats trims carpets etc just a roll cage

Comment

rear seats weigh nothing really, you are probably putting in the weight you take out in the cage? I'm not sure how much the cage weighs but the trim and seats isn't going to be much.

From my experience the t16 in a maestro is a great power plant. You do need to sort out your brakes, suspension and bushes though. I do have a big brake kit if interested! you could use a maestro turbo rad if you have one as these are good enough for the t16. Personally I quickly outgrew the t25 on the t16 but that is for you to decide as you get to know the car.

Comment

Well putting the t16 turbo in .So will have a m16 engine gearbox & all the wireing for sale soon if anybody is interestd engine is sweet as a nut What big brakes do you countrydude? i have some they are the g60 conversion will need help with the wireing i think

Comment

they are the same brakes I have the gt60.

I'd like to help, but the wiring is still a mystery to me. I do know the early 2 gap dizzy is the simplest wiring job, it might pay you to go with that. The later wasted spark is a more reliable ignition system though as you are relying on the same dizzy and rotor arm from a 1.4 k series! If you do go down that route then it will pay you to stick with the lucas brand as that outlasts anything else by a long way.

Comment

Working...
                        X