Turbo body kit advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo body kit advice

Some of you purists might react badly - but here goes !!

Am still restoring the wifes black MG Maestro (it's getting there !) and a month ago I acquired a turbo bodykit. The side skirts make such a difference and they are going on.

Does anyone have any pics or diagrams of the brackets on the sills ? I'll have to make them, but a guide as to the design would be a real help.

While I do this I'll add pics as I go - could be useful to others if restoring / repairing this bodykit

Thanks in anticipation !

Andy

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
    Some of you purists might react badly - but here goes !!

Am still restoring the wifes black MG Maestro (it's getting there !) and a month ago I acquired a turbo bodykit. The side skirts make such a difference and they are going on.

Does anyone have any pics or diagrams of the brackets on the sills ? I'll have to make them, but a guide as to the design would be a real help.

While I do this I'll add pics as I go - could be useful to others if restoring / repairing this bodykit

Thanks in anticipation !

Andy
    Hi Andy,
    Don't know about the Maestro side skirts but the Montego ones are stuck/bonded on with only an additional self tapper on the front and rear
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

They are just a L shaped bracket.

maestro turbo no 498

Comment

Thanks for replies
        The arrangement on Montegos must be different - there is no flange line to bond on the maestro ones. Also the sill is square isn't it, whereas the maestro sills are angled in.

Reggy5's pics look more like it. Reggy - can you remember if the brackets are pop riveted onto the sill , or self tappers, or spot welded ? The ones in your pic look very bright - were they renewed ?

Clearly if you have your sills replaced, all the brackets then need transferring.

And can you remember if there is anything extra at the front end ? (The rear whell arch arrangement is obvious, although the original fixings are broken off.

And finally - what's going on with all that masking tape ? !! Readying up for a respray ?

Comment

The brackets are pop reverted to the sills, I think the original brackets are aluminium ( I may be wrong )

Yes I made new ones , but out of sheet steel.

Nothing on the front just the last L bracket on the sill. And the back has two threaded rod on the skirt that has to stick through the rear arch.

Masking is just there so the bonding goes off so my side mouldings stick , I know a little over the top
          maestro turbo no 498

Comment

Thanks Reggy5. I'll need to knock these up - not a problem.

But getting the hole centres and place to fit the bracket I guess is easy to get wrong. Clearly best approach is make the brackets, fir to the skirt and mark of the sill.

Did you have slightly oversize holes in the bracket to give a bit of final adjustment / tolerance ?

PS to two studs you mention at the rear arch are broken off on my 2nd hand skirts. I think these get corroded just like the std MG trims.

I might have to use tiger seal or someother solution.

Comment

Andy,
              Long time no chat, and we still haven't managed to meet up yet!
              I still have my Maestro Turbo in Ryde, it is off the road and under cover for the winter, but you are welcome to come have a look at anything that may help you. PM me mate.

Comment

Hi JFT
                Must admit I wondered if you still had it !

Yes - that would be great - there are a few details that would be helpful by just seeing.

I'll pm you soon

Comment

Working...
                X