Potential manual adjust clutch cable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trocse View Post
    quick question on self adjusting clutch cables.

Before i put my maestro off the road last year i felt the clutch pedal was further away from normal, and had less travel on it, is this a result of the self adjusting cable? is the clutch on its way out? or is the cable just too far stretched?

THanks
    Hi

This is less likely to be the clutch it's self and more likely the cable self adjuster not working correctly.

You can try to reset the cable to rejuvenate it by grasping the clutch release arm on the gearbox and pushing it down towards the floor against the spring tension of the cable, there might be some initial resistance but then it will move easily any stiffness indicates the release arm pivot is siezing up inside the gearbox. You then release the arm and allow the spring to retake up the slack in the cable. You may need to give the outer cable a bit of a shake to assist the spring to fully adjust the cable.

If that does not work and there was no tightness in the release arm pivot, then a new cable will be needed

Comment

Thanks for the reply, will have a look this weekend.

Do you have a price for these new cables?

Comment

In the region of £20, probably less.
        M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
          In the region of £20, probably less.
          I'm running behind so haven't sent the cables off to be inspected by the potential supplier. The cables will be made 30-40% uprated as higher power cars snap them with heavier clutches, the end will be made (onto the clutch peddle) will be metal. Hopefully they will be made universal to rover 200 and 400 cables too.

I'd say £20 is way off the mark tbh. You can source a nos cable on ebay for that, but getting an uprated and manually adjustable cable made up will be more, possibly substantially more.

Comment

Clarification: I thought he meant how much would a NOS clutch cable be for his car. Ebay search reveals that you can get them between about £3-£33 plus postage. My last cable was £18 or thereabouts.

An uprated cable of the type you propose would obviously be more expensive than NOS, but worth it even at <£substantially more> I've had 2 cables snap on the road and one cable lose its self adjust badly enough to warrant replacement.
            M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
            Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Working...
            X