No announcement yet.

mg 1600 restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

right, carbs overhauled, 2 missing wires replaced to coil means we have sparks, but still wouldn't fire up. suppose I was been a bit optimistic really. anyway, ran a compression test, none at all on 3 + 4, 50whatevers on 1 + 2. poured oil down plug holes and ran test again, same result, so not bottom-end. possible head-gasket? took cam cover off and discovered problem 3 + 4 exhaust valves stuck open! possible 1+ 2 not sealing? anyway that's all until I have time to remove the head and investigate further! thanks for reading need to spend bit of time on the beast to ready it for xmas stages

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20141025_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	289708

Name:	WP_20141025_002.jpg
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	289709
      got the head off. doesn't look too bad. all the exhaust ports are rusty, that's why the valves stuck. gave them a good soak with wd40 and they popped back in. need to remove the valves and grind them back in, clean everything up and put it back together.

Comment

Nice one Martin. Will be running in no time. Id like another MG1600. For the forests

Comment

Any updates? Or are you flat out getting the rally car ready for croft

Comment

no updates as yet, rally car has been taking all my spare time but that passed it's mot today! hopefully get on with this one in the new year

Comment

Name:	10429444_10203415464567159_2067839985584138639_n.jpg
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	289790
              all ready for xmas stages!

Comment

not a lot happening with this car at the moment. busy putting my efi back on the road. once that's sorted, i'll be putting 1600 engine back together.

Comment

mg 1600

What exactly are you doing with it? Competition or standard.
                  Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

As it's an ex race car, I'm going to restore it to a road rally spec type car and use it for auto tests and 12car navigation events. The efi will be restored and kept standard.

Comment

mg 1600

Good ,you will have to update as and when,if you can. What colour is the efi?
                      Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

White, E plate

Comment

Working...
                        X