upgrade turbo for td montego?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrade turbo for td montego?

just wondered what it the easiest turbo upgrade for a td mont? [leaving manifold etc stock]

not sure that there is an easy to fit turbo upgrade, most of the ones I've heard about involve modifications to manifold..probably gain more per pound spent by fitting an intercooler, very easy, as inlet manifold elbow just turns around, so you have two pipes pointing in more or less the right direction to stick some silicon hoses onto and attach an intercooler in front of rad on lhs, then turn injector pump up a notch or two...best done at a friendly mot station, so that you can make sure it will pass an emission test after you've finished...another horse or two can be unleashed by fitting a bigger exhaust.. All of these things and more are gone into in more detail on here www.roverdiesel.co.uk as far as I can tell anything not mentioned on there is either not worth doing, or more bother than it's worth..there is some Prima tuning information in the faq section of these forums. http://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/t...-diesel?t=4517 which you might have seen already ...the author of this online Rover bible is on here too : E_T_V He might have some alternative turbo suggestions, but if you don't want to fiddle with the manifold I'd stick to intercooler.. good luck
    John

Comment

hi john thanks for the info buddy,i didnt know those sites,l'll look into them !,i did think an intercooler was probably best start point,but unsure of benefit,do it and see !,I had been wondering if their was a common turbo upgrade,ie from a range rover etc,all the best pete

Comment

No common turbo upgrades but obviously a lot more modern turbos are available that will perform better.

Everything would usually need a different exhaust making up. I'd certainly also advocate an intercooler and bigger/free flowing exhaust.

I just tweaked the turbo (running 23psi!) and injection pump with a modified exhaust (no physical mods) and it went very well. Probably better than my tweaked 620diesel upto about 30mph (it was in a campervan so hardly aerodynamic!). I'd guess at 100ish bhp, maybe a few more.

The clutch is probably the biggest limiting factor for mods as you'll start to hit the limit of what is possible with the small clutch that is on it. You can however relatively simply fit a bigger/stronger one.
        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I guess that if you could rig a modern variable vane turbo up, you'd get a bit more get up & go, but might end up being expensive this http://www.allisport.com/product-info/vnt-turbos/ has some information on the theory..mostly aimed at Land Rover engines...I have heard that they make a big difference to driveability on 300Tdi....not sure how they'd work on a Prima, the Land Rover TD5 engine is a 5 cylinder development of L series, which was a development of the Prima, but they are all 25% bigger than Prima.... I fitted an intercooler with no other modifications & seemed to gain a small amount of power &; a few miles per gallon better fuel consumption... In the dim and distant past I put a small Garrett turbo (from a 2.5 litre tdi with 4250rpm red line) onto a Perkins 6.247 (about 4 litre idi with 3600 red line), this made no difference to top end (too small to flow enough gas) no noticeable difference to fuel consumption, but improved performance at low revs and improved its cold starting performance (a side effect related to the old lorry driver's trick of blocking the exhaust on cold days I think)...using a bigger turbo on prima would have the opposite effect... if I had access to a variable vane turbo to suit the 6.247 I would probably have destroyed the transmission ;-)

Comment

If anyone seriously wants to add a VNT to a prima I know a guy who has developed an aftermarket controller for the VNT turbos (as the ECU usually controls them). He has had over 200bhp from the L series so I'd imagine a hefty improvement from the prima too
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Working...
            X