drum brake to disc brake conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drum brake to disc brake conversion

Has anyone ever made this conversion? I want to upgrade the braking. I know I need the bushings, brake calipers and brake discs, any advice or help to do it?
    the thread of the hoses is the same? Will the handbrake cable be long enough?

Your best bet is Rover 200/25 (or the MG version of) stub axles of a rear disc braked model they need machining to bring the track back to normal, then it’s new cables and pipes plus hoses, and your probably want a larger bore master cylinder

Comment

and the distance between screws is also 95.25? Where did you get that threaded suspension? wonderful work friend, thank you very much @Paul72

Comment

No, their 100mm PCD so need redrilling. The Suspension is Gaz I've added a photo of the Front Set up I'm using,

Comment

It's very beautiful, where have you got the shock absorbers? Do you know if the modification of rear axles of mg tf would need a lot of modification? @Paul72
          Last edited by Juanmacandel; 16th May 2018, 15:13.

Comment

As the MG TF is rear engined the rear suspension completely different, so a lot of work would be needed.
            https://www.gazshocks.com is the web site where I got the Suspension from, theres a few people on this site with them fitted

Comment

Ok, thanks, can you give me a short explanation on how you adapted your front and rear brakes @Paul72? I'm from Spain and the translator leaves a lot to be desired. I want to improve my monty
              Last edited by Juanmacandel; 22nd May 2018, 16:13.

Comment

Hi when you did the swap did you by any chance note the distance between bolts that keep back plate etc on axle .as i have a van and wish too swap car hubs on i think its a straight swap if size is the same

Comment

hello, cleandave2 if you can do the conversion to brake disc I would like you to guide me, thanks

Comment

Hi cleandave2. I changed my van to use car front and rear hubs a few years back. The back plates do not go straight on due to the spacing being different. I rotated the backplates a bit and redrilled holes in the van to match the holes in the backplate. There is JUST enough room to get the nuts on the back around the van cross member.
                    I hope that makes sense!
                    Ian
                    Ian Drew
                    MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                    MG ZT V8
                    Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Erm a little bit ive done the fronts easy whole car set up .the backs are weird my van back plates are/have a perfect square 4 hole bolt on set up .which when taken off leaves a bit of another back plate fixed too stub axle ....did you move this around and redrill it ...my car back plate has a kind of same thing but the 4 bolts have 2 the same distance apart and 2 set in closer together so i dont think i could redrill that plate as its all one part with the stub axle which seems to be knocked into the beam ..the easy way i think is too have my van rear drums redrilled too take the car studs so mgtf wheels bang straight on ..hope this all makes sense as ive lost myself now lol

Comment

Testing my memory now.... I THINK 2 or 3 of the holes in the car back plate line up with the holes in the van rear beam, I then just redrilled the missing hole/holes. This resulted in the car backplates being rotated slightly to get them all to align. IIRC the drivers side was rotated anti-clockwise a little, so the top was then at the 11 o'clock position. It was simple enough to then bend the copper brake pipes by hand to get them to fit in to place correctly.
                        With the new hole drilled in the back plate it was VERY tight to get the nut on the back due to the large diameter of the van rear beam.

Once I had decided the route to take, it didn't take too long to do.
                        Good luck!
                        Ian
                        Ian Drew
                        MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                        MG ZT V8
                        Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

I've got the stubs, discs and calipers of a Rover 25. What modifications do I have to make to suit my Montego? What cables and brake lines should I use? thank you
                          Last edited by Juanmacandel; 6th November 2018, 10:34.

Comment

Someone??

Comment

Text removed
                              Last edited by Sussex Pete; 2nd February 2021, 14:43.

Comment

Working...
                              X