Fantasy Engine swaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonR
    Hahaha. You're not seriously suggesting we buy an XJ220 and then brake it for spares are you?! You know the furore that kicks off if someone threatens to break a Maestro on this forum - imagine what the Jag fans would say if you did that ;-)
    Well to paraphrase what some people say when a car is broken - my £120,000, my car, my fantasy :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V
      Aim is for 150bhp and 260ftlb. Should be fun
      Should be doable, plus you should be able to get about 45mpg+ doing it, something an o series owner can only dream of.

Great engine the L series only prob was cam belts need doing every 48000miles. Good luck with it

Comment

Nope, the older L series need belts ever 84k which makes them far easier to live with.
        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by henocsr

Great engine the L series only prob was cam belts need doing every 48000miles. Good luck with it
          83,000 on the early ones with the automatic tensioner
          Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

That was before they start playing with the injection timing and turbo boost. Wouldnt want to take one to 84k have seen what was left in a Freelander after 60k and the belt broke

Comment

Early L series in the 200/400/600 got auto tensioners and 84k intervals. Later 25/45 etc got a manual tensioner and 48k intervals. Belts rarely break on the 2/4/600's.
              www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
              www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
              www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Going slightly off topic, whilst experencing an idle moment (one of many!), I had a thought - the letters in the word 'Maestro' can almost be applied to engine series letters that can be found under the bonnet (factory produced or otherwise!), there have been M series, A series, the R and S series were developed from the E series (a little tenuous, I concede!), T series, and O series...
                As for fantasy engine conversions, theres definitely a few I would love to try, but are utterly pointless - G1A (1.3 OHV) from a Peugeot 309, with twin carb set up from a Matra-Simca Bagheera would be interesting (to my warped little mind!), I have a secret liking for the Volkswagen 1.8/2.0T engine as well, which can be used with the 020 gearbox, though I don't think it would last very long.....! I think my favourite though would have to be to strip a Calibra 4x4 turbo for it's running gear and somehow graft that into a Maestro, has to be a Calibra though as I have too much respect for the Cavalier version! Not only that, but there is a bloke that lives round here that thinks the Calibra is the best thing since sliced bread, and it would be a bit of a double whammy to have a) have 4wd and 210bhp on a Maestro (albeit mechanically challenged!), and b) to break a car that I despise so much!:laugh:

Comment

Ricky, you wouldn't be the first - there was an MG Metro at MG Saloon Day 2006 which had been converted into a 6R4 with a bodykit and an engine in the back. Presumably the budget didn't stretch to a proper 6R4 engine so they'd used a Calibra engine instead.

Comment

With all this talk of GM engines and Turbo Diesels ,I thought id have a go myself. This morning I got a donor vehicle but I can quite get it to fit

Its 140 litre 3000bhp, im sure my standard brakes will be ok
                    Attached Files

Comment

Love that photos!
                      Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
                      VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
                      J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

Towbar, towhook and a Bugatti Veyron.

1989 MG Maestro Turbo no.399

1994 Maestro Clubman Turbo Diesel

Comment