Exhaust Back box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Wanted] Exhaust Back box

I'm trying to source an exhaust back box for my 1990 Maestro 2.0 efi. Any body either got one or can advise me on an alternative model that will fit. I've looked at a 1.3 and can't see any obvious differences, pipe diameter measures the same, just the tail pipe seems a bit longer on mine.

Are you sure it is the same diameter as the smaller engines? I thought 1300 and 1600 were about the same, but 2.0 was bigger.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXAN6057-...y/172968517632 should be the right one, same firm does 1300/1600 ones which are a few quid cheaper. If you are planning to keep the car for a long time might be worth looking at getting a stainless one made up...not cheap, but only to buy once..

Comment

2.0 injection has a bigger bore, 1.6 won't fit
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
      2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
      2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Thanks for the info. Today I ended up having a system made in stainless. I posted in the technical section, but I've copied what i wrote there.....'Last week the tail box fell of my 2.0efi Maestro! The tail box is now unobtainable so an alternative had to be found. I ended up at a local Exhaust builder, John Ashley Exhausts, in Walsall. Today I took the car in, at 9.30. By 3.00 they had hand built a new centre section and tail box in stainless. They built them by hand, putting the pipe in place, marking and bending, then fitted a hand made silencer box, then worked to the back of the car. The rear box was a bit of a challenge being so small. The fitter cut down the two halves of a silencer outer shell, fitted a perforated inner tube, stuffed it with sound deadener, welded on end plates, then fitted that in place. He made up a tail pipe, but wasn't happy with the standard diameter, so made up another one in 2" pipe. It was great to watch the whole process. The total cost was £260. I have no financial interest in the company but would heartily recommend them to anyone looking for a system. Chatting with the owner he told me he has some mild steel systems on the shelf made of 2" tube with ,I think he said 2!/4" tailpipe. He would be happy to talk cost on 01922 615671 or 07973 540145.'

Comment

Not too horrendous in the end then, and it should last for years..

Comment

I have just been extremely lucky on the exhaust front. Been getting a bit of work done on the turbo over winter by the lad that looks after it for me. Baffles on the the rear back box were goosed so that was one job on the list. Was going to go the stainless steel route but by chance a brand new mg montego turbo backbox was found sitting on a unit shelf 20 miles from home, been there since the 80's! Cut the tail pipe down a bit and on it went. You just don't now whats still out there!
            MG Maestro Turbo #500
            BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
            Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
            Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Very true, I know of a local motor factors which has just taken boxes and boxes full of maestro / montego discs, drums and wheel bearings to be weighed in for scrap as they have been sitting on the shelf for 30 years! Yes I did shed a little tear when I found out!!!

Comment

Well at least parts are still cheap for our cars unlike fords, backbox cost me all of a tenner. But to weight in new parts for scrap is madness. Surely even from a business point of view a few spare minutes spent putting up auctions on eBay would have had them sold for a lot more than scrap. Weren't maestro discs and pads used on mgf's and later rovers as well? Its a shame the club doesn't have spares no more. Its a big ask but if a club member had storage/unit etc lots like the above if found before scraped could be bought up with club members subscription money and sold back to members for a reasonable cost but at profit generating more money for the club. Parts like the above might still be readily available but if that keeps happening they will end up like the rare parts, unobtainable unless very lucky. And ten years from now we will all be wishing something was done.
                MG Maestro Turbo #500
                BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
                Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
                Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                  Well at least parts are still cheap for our cars unlike fords, backbox cost me all of a tenner. But to weight in new parts for scrap is madness. Surely even from a business point of view a few spare minutes spent putting up auctions on eBay would have had them sold for a lot more than scrap. Weren't maestro discs and pads used on mgf's and later rovers as well? Its a shame the club doesn't have spares no more. Its a big ask but if a club member had storage/unit etc lots like the above if found before scraped could be bought up with club members subscription money and sold back to members for a reasonable cost but at profit generating more money for the club. Parts like the above might still be readily available but if that keeps happening they will end up like the rare parts, unobtainable unless very lucky. And ten years from now we will all be wishing something was done.
                  I think the only other thing that the pads fit is a Reliant Scimitar SS1, discs may well fit other 3 3/4" wheel pcd, so you could be right about pads being hard to get in 10 years time, I tend to stock up on any that I see that are cheap...but a lot of places seem to try to get a higher price for them, then scrap them when they fail, which seems a bit daft, as you say...

Comment

That'll not happen, finding free storage is one thing, finding someone who has that and willing to get parts, store, sort, list, promote and sell in their own time for free is another
                    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

I have offered free storage and help on numerous occasions, the latest being the plea from Tanya in the latest bulletin for a stamp licker, just up my street that!! Again I will offer;

I have some land near Huddersfield, I have a couple of 20’ storage containers on there half full of my crap! I am very willing to put another container on there which the club is free to store parts etc.. there is also 7 acres in which to park the odd vehicle, this would be outside and I don’t want it looking like a scrap yard but within reason a few cars could be stored there. The land is an investment for my retirement if I need it or as a nest egg for my daughter. I am 43 and she is 6 so neither of those will be happening for a long time.

Depending on work commitments I am willing to give time to the club, I don’t know what’s needed, to be honest I don’t even know who does what within the club but I am here and will offer my time. So if anything needs doing please email me and let me know and if I can help I will.

I am certain there are lots of other members who could and are willing to help out but are not aware any help is required. So please committee members if you are short on help, storage or anything then just put the message out on here or write to us, I don’t use social media for reasons I have moaned about before.

Comment

The shop has just been sold Andy and I know the new owners but didn’t know they were buying it until now which is about a month after the deal was struck and a month for them to gut the shop and most of the old stock!

Comment

There is the third way too, you could buy the parts and count them as part of your nest egg, the longer you waited, the more of a nest egg it would be. The club spares and the club members saving parts for the benefit of other club members are both plans that have been tried before, neither was a complete success as far I know....

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
                            There is the third way too, you could buy the parts and count them as part of your nest egg, the longer you waited, the more of a nest egg it would be. The club spares and the club members saving parts for the benefit of other club members are both plans that have been tried before, neither was a complete success as far I know....
                            The problem is knowing how frustrating it is to source that rare part you need to finish a project I wouldn’t have the heart to sell any of the parts for profit. If I have anything and it cost me nothing and someone else needs it they can have it free, if it cost me a fiver then it would be a fiver! I also wouldn’t have the time or inclination to stock pile my own parts (although I do seem to have a fair amount at present!). I have to say I am still in shock at the club not holding / selling off parts and it not being a success.

Comment

Working...
                            X