Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Events for 2015 - what do you want?

Hello everyone,

I'm now sharing the Events Co-ordinator for the Club with Andy Whitta.

I thought it might be useful for those of you who don't know me to have a little bit of background about me. I live in Oxford and between 1988 and 1991 worked at Cowley, so at the same time as Maestros and Montegos were being produced. I met my husband Jason there, and he is still working at Cowley, now for BMW making MINIs. I own two Maestros and a Montego and we several other cars in our family with have been produced either at Cowley or Longbridge. I'm actively involved with events either at MINI Plant Oxford (which is where the Body Plant at Cowley was) or in the local area. These events both celebrate Cowley built cars and raise awareness of Cowley's history and the cars that were built there. I get to meet lots of former Cowley employees who worked on Maestro and Montego, and who are full of stories which are great to hear. I also started the Cowley Convoy in 2011 which runs convoys from MINI Plant Oxford to the Pride of Longbridge and the BMC & Leyland Show.

I'm keen to widen the event that the M&MOC attend as a club, and I would love to meet as many members as possible. So, when I say events, what do I mean? Well, there are different sort of events. There are social ones, the type where there isn't necessarily a car show, but you meet up of a drink and a chat. There are the outdoor shows where the club organise a stand, typically these are the BL Day at Peterborough, the Pride of Longbridge, Tatton Park (we share a stand with another club) and the BMC & Leyland Show and then indoor shows which tend to be at the NEC, Manchester and Bristol. There are also navigational rallies, and I'm sure many other types of events, and way to get out and enjoy your Maestros and Montegos.

Generally speaking the social events are local and can be held in the evening or at a weekend, usually at a pub. These can be monthly meets, or less frequent and it maybe better to join with another car club. If you would like to have a social meeting in your area, or would like to start one, please let me know. I think that there may already be a few informal meets going on, so it would be good to get a list of these together. I'm very happy to start a meet in the Oxfordshire area, if anyone is interested.

For the outdoor events, generally we can accommodate most members' cars. However, a few of the shows do have a limitation on numbers, but we will make this clear when we post about an event.

For the indoor events, these are usually limited to a few cars. Cars need to be in place usually for two or three days, so you will need to bear this in mind if you would like to offer to bring your car. Generally these cars need to be in very good condition, and normally fairly standard. However, how who you feel about seeing a nicely modified car on a stand at an indoor show? I welcome your views on this.

I will do my best to get along to as many events as I can, so if you see me, please come and say hello and introduce yourself. For the events that I can't get to, I will do my best to get to the stand equipment there and help and support in anyway that I can.

For insurance reasons, everyone who bring their cars on to a club stand at events need to be a member of the M&MOC.

Anyway, enough of me prattling on.

What do you want to see in the way of events from the club in 2015?
    What events would you like us to attend?
    Would you be prepared to put your car on a stand at an indoor show?
    Would you be preferred to help man the club stand? (in a rota system, so you still get to see the show)
    Would you like the club to hold a basic navigational rally? (nothing hard - even I can manage them)
    How else would you like to be involved with club events?
    What other event ideas do you have?
    In short, this is your club, so what do you want?

I'll make a note of the comment in the thread about the NEC Classic Motor Show, and add them on to here. We have a committee meeting next weekend so it would be good to hear your views, ideas etc by then. Between us all, I'm sure we can get a good calendar of events together for 2015.

Thank you,

Tanya

Tanya I think you have some great ideas and looking forward to 2015! One of my observations is that there has been a lack of info on the forum at times and I missed a few things before I was on the Facebook pages so keeping regular updates on here would be great - I know its not easy but if we can!

Given I live up in Edinburgh I failed to make any shows down south this year - had to cancel Tatton at the last minute. I did BMC day at Gaydon last year and really enjoyed it and would like to do that and/or BL day if I can next year.

I know there are a few members in Scotland and some who show their cars - if there is enough interest perhaps we could make this club events - although they would have to be managed locally.

I'd be happy to help you out with organisation and other stuff if it can be done 'remotely'. I am down south fairly regularly but not often with the car. Would be interested in indoor shows (albeit Mavis is a little crusty in places) and rally etc.

Sorry rambling post!!
    1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
    1989 BMW 316i
    2013 BMW 320d Touring
    2014 Nissan Leaf. Shhhhhh

Treasurer
    Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Just a point in the post above re Facebook Page. Would it not be a good idea to have a visible link on here somewhere to the Facebook Page? I didn't even know there was a Facebook Page till about 2 weeks ago. Then a link on there to here if there isn't one already.

R.E Events. It would be nice if there was something in the South/South East.

Comment

Originally posted by The Express Valeter View Post
        R.E Events. It would be nice if there was something in the South/South East.
        I'm up for a meet in this area as well. It would be good to know how many of us there are in this area and how spread out or localised to try and gauge the possible success.
        Membership Secretary
        Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
        2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
        1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

We used to show at Bromley Pageant of Motoring. The last time we did was 2009. Then there's Knebworth which we used to participate in until 2003 when we were told our cars weren't old enough to be classics (Their cut off date was 1980 - don't know whether it still is).

Road runs: We used to have a "Great North Run" in places such as Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Wales etc but that died a death due to lack of support.

Would be really great to get more enthusiasm and support for these shows/events.
          M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
          Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

A few years ago (November 2011 to be exact) I picked myself off the floor and got back on the wagon. I sold my last Monty to Sam, and went more than two years sober. I genuinely believed at the time that CMV would be my last Monty and that I would move on having owned these cars constantly since 1996. I didn't visit a car show during this time and my membership of the club lapsed. However, as we all know, these cars are so darn addictive and I found myself missing them. December 2013 saw me fall of the wagon again, and now once again I have two Montegos (and another coming next year), one of which I owned before. Things have changed a lot in the time that I was away and suddenly these cars are rarer than ever and they are finally getting the attention they deserve. I have never been very involved in club matters/events etc in the past but I am more than happy to contribute where I can now.

If I can be of any assistance in any way, please let me know.

I believe that there are very few enthusiasts for these cars in East Anglia. Cars never surface for sale or otherwise around here so I'm not sure how any local meets would be of any benefit in my area but I'd be excited to be involved in anything else that would assist the club and help to raise the profile of these desperately underrated yet superb cars.
            1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

Hi Tanya!

I would be more than happy to show either or both of my Montego's. I don't mind travelling as long as I can get back in a day!. I live in East Leeds and go to a number of events in Yorkshire and Lancashire. I don't know how many other members are in this neck of the woods though!.

Ray
              MG Montego efi C928TBL - Moonraker blue
              Austin Montego Mayfair C943KOE - Clove brown
              MG Maestro 2.Oi H352MOF - Black

Comment

Hi Tanya,

I think you have some great ideas here for shows. Clearly, as has already been highlighted by a few others, the key issues are the need to a) prominently announce these events using a number of medias (this website and Facebook) and, b) to also extend the geographical area the club is willing to travel to in order to have an official display and give as many members as possible the opportunity to attend in some capacity.

Regrettably I do not have my MG Maestro in a rebuilt state yet and no firm timeframe has been set yet for work to commence, so it is highly unlikely it will ready for next year's organised events. However, I will likely be attending Pride of Longbridge and possibly the BMC and Leyland Show next year in something else (built at Longbridge).

Good luck with it all as it is clear that there has been a reduction in Maestros and Montegos attending organised events in the last few years, including the MG Saloon Day. There does need to be an active calendar to get people back on board in some capacity.

Comment

did we use to attend a show where there was a swap meet of 2nd hand/new parts too,
                  i remember many shows we went to where we was there camping for the weekend , and had so much to drink on the night before the show we never got up in time to be at the show...neen park?
                  Tony Hague

A clear enthusiast - or a nutter?

Comment

I have a reasonably nice MG Maestro (pictured left for the unfamiliar) which I think has had about four outings this year, one of which was its MOT. I know - shame on me! Clearly lack of use won't do it any good, and there's a line of thought that says what's the point of my keeping it at all if just for sentimental reasons?

I think you could argue that one of the functions of a club like this one should be to encourage me to get it out a little more often, so to speak! I'm not going to run the Maestro for daily errands because I have another car for that, and whilst I like to bring it along to a couple of favourite static shows every year I find that's enough for me nowadays. I know there are those who like to be at a show somewhere with their car just about every weekend from April until September but I don't think my fiancé would let me get away with that, somehow!

From my point of view I'm more than happy for my car to be used on a stand at an indoor show should it ever be needed at any point in the future, given adequate notice of course to allow me to plan around work commitments and ensure it is presented in its best possible light.

Ultimately cars are for driving and the absolute highlight of the events calendar for me always used to be the 'Great North Run' which has been mentioned above. The format was that we would meet in an area with some great roads and scenery to die for, enjoy camping (or a local hotel in my case!), followed by a day's touring and pub lunch en route stopping at various places of interest. I would like to see the return of this next year if there is the interest, and I actually have a few ideas for an improved format and itineraries that could make for a really enjoyable weekend event, based on similar events I've attended with other motoring groups. I don't mind taking on organising such an event if I wouldn't be treading on anyone's toes and it could be absolutely anywhere in the country, however I don't have the time or inclination to do so if it's just going to be me and one other car!

Agree with comments about the need to have a calendar planned well in advance and properly promoted to ensure maximum attendance. One trick I tried when I was webmaster was a "Next Event" banner on the homepage of the website - not sure how much difference that made.
                    Jonathan Sellars

1987 MG Maestro 2.0 EFi
                    2011 Jaguar XJ

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                      We used to show at Bromley Pageant of Motoring. The last time we did was 2009. Then there's Knebworth which we used to participate in until 2003 when we were told our cars weren't old enough to be classics (Their cut off date was 1980 - don't know whether it still is).

Road runs: We used to have a "Great North Run" in places such as Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Wales etc but that died a death due to lack of support.

Would be really great to get more enthusiasm and support for these shows/events.
                      I took my MG Montego to Knebworth this year. I was invited by the Metro forum to display it with them & most of those were Mk2 examples so well after 1980. The car & the Metro's were well received so it may be worth contacting them for next year!!

The show had a good turn out & I think I was in the only MM car there.

Why has Bromley not been done? I was there though it was 2010 as I didn't get my Montego till March 2010.

My only concern is after all the work I have done to my car I will not take it out if rain looms & it goes on SORN over the winter. If I could justify & find room for that Moonraker Blue Mayfair then I would tidy up the few small scruffy bits but would not go to town on it so would use in not so good weather but no salt lol.
                      Last edited by The Express Valeter; 26th November 2014, 22:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                        I have a reasonably nice MG Maestro (pictured left for the unfamiliar) which I think has had about four outings this year, one of which was its MOT. I know - shame on me! Clearly lack of use won't do it any good, and there's a line of thought that says what's the point of my keeping it at all if just for sentimental reasons?

I think you could argue that one of the functions of a club like this one should be to encourage me to get it out a little more often, so to speak! I'm not going to run the Maestro for daily errands because I have another car for that, and whilst I like to bring it along to a couple of favourite static shows every year I find that's enough for me nowadays. I know there are those who like to be at a show somewhere with their car just about every weekend from April until September but I don't think my fiancé would let me get away with that, somehow!

From my point of view I'm more than happy for my car to be used on a stand at an indoor show should it ever be needed at any point in the future, given adequate notice of course to allow me to plan around work commitments and ensure it is presented in its best possible light.

Ultimately cars are for driving and the absolute highlight of the events calendar for me always used to be the 'Great North Run' which has been mentioned above. The format was that we would meet in an area with some great roads and scenery to die for, enjoy camping (or a local hotel in my case!), followed by a day's touring and pub lunch en route stopping at various places of interest. I would like to see the return of this next year if there is the interest, and I actually have a few ideas for an improved format and itineraries that could make for a really enjoyable weekend event, based on similar events I've attended with other motoring groups. I don't mind taking on organising such an event if I wouldn't be treading on anyone's toes and it could be absolutely anywhere in the country, however I don't have the time or inclination to do so if it's just going to be me and one other car!

Agree with comments about the need to have a calendar planned well in advance and properly promoted to ensure maximum attendance. One trick I tried when I was webmaster was a "Next Event" banner on the homepage of the website - not sure how much difference that made.

We tried to do the Great North Run a couple of years ago, but it got no interest at all - I don't know why, Chris Mansfield had volunteered to run it and it was planned for the North East. I think we put it down to fuel costs and the fact that we were in the middle of the worst recession of recent times.

It would be well worth a try to fetch it back again...

Andy
                        CURRENT FLEET:
                        1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
                        1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
                        1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
                        2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
                        1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

I am definitely up for reinstating The Great North Run, i am also greatly in favour of more social events including camping and the obligatory BBQs, drinks etc! I miss those days.

I would love to do a monthly South West meet, anyone reading this interested?

Comment

P.S. Jon, you have one of the best MG Maestros in existence.

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                            I have a reasonably nice MG Maestro (pictured left for the unfamiliar)
                            Reasonably nice? What does that make the rest?

Comment

Thanks, Oli. Though I'm constantly amazed by the quality of some of the other cars in the club in recent years.

The road runs were organised fairly informally by members from the North West area which has always been quite strong but never promoted that widely. I guess if they became too big they'd be difficult to manage anyway. I think I would initially want to find out how many would actually be interested and what they'd expect from it in terms of length, format, cost, geographic area and so on and take it from there if sufficient enthusiasm exists. Or perhaps that kind of thing just doesn't appeal to many, I really don't know? Certainly from my point of view driving events are the most appealing, and there's already a fairly good spread of shows covered except perhaps at a more local level - which is where growing areas comes in. But that is difficult and won't happen overnight.
                              Jonathan Sellars

1987 MG Maestro 2.0 EFi
                              2011 Jaguar XJ

Comment

Working...
                              X