Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practical Classics Restoration & Classic Car Show 28th & 29th March

Hello everyone,

I've enquired about a club stand at the Practical Classics Restoration & Classic Car Show on Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th March, and it looks like we might be able to get one if we're quick.

This isn't like the NEC Classic Motor Show. We don't need to theme the stand and carpet is questionable, although we do have it already if we need it. I can't think of any significant costs for the club attached to this show, but I may have missed something.

If we can get to this, I think it's a good one, and something a bit different!

I can set up on Friday and help man the stand on Saturday, but I'm likely to be elsewhere on the Sunday.

Here's the email that I've received from Alison today and as you will see, time is of the essence. Alison allocates the stands.

Dear Tanya

Good to speak to you yesterday, as promised a bit more information about the Practical Classics Restoration & Classic Car Show, 28 & 29 March 2015 at the NEC.

This is billed as the ‘season opener’ and aims to illustrate not only large restoration projects but also the servicing and maintenance that owners need to undertake to be ready to enjoy a summer of motoring in their Classic vehicles. Launched to great success last year, we are aiming to significantly increase the number of car clubs attending. Ideally we are looking for clubs who are willing and able to be carrying out some sort of restoration or maintenance/servicing activity on their stand, as well as a concourse display.

An ideal display would have an example in need of restoration, one being worked on at the show and one in excellent restored condition so that visitors can behold the whole story. You are free to come up with any sort of demonstration of a restoration or regular maintenance/servicing activity that could be undertaken on your vehicles. The only activity not permitted in the NEC is painting due to the fumes. Last year Clubs were undertaking everything on their stands from basic service checks through to finishing off activities such as replacing a trim or headlamps; right up to grinding and welding at the show! There are of course H&S precautions you will need to conform to if you are planning more ‘exciting’ activities, but we will be able to give you full guidance and advice.

Attached is the application form to complete and return to me as soon as you can if you would like to participate at PCR&CCS. We would provide an area for your display free of charge, all other elements are for you to arrange and pay for as you choose (e.g. accommodation , transport costs, carpet or electrics etc). The size of space offered will depend on the proposed display/activity suggested.

To get a bit more of a feel for the event the website is: www.necrestorationshow.com

I am doing another wave of stand allocations this week so it would be great to get your application back quickly so I can (I hope) allocate one to your club! If you can fax or scan/email it back to me that would be great. If you are unsure of the activity details, just an idea of the sort of activities you would be prepared to try to arrange to undertake at the show would be fine. Or indeed if you would just like to attend without any actual work happening on your stand this is also possible so long as the car/s you propose have a strong restoration ‘story’.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Alison

So, do you think the club should attend this one?
    Are you able to offer to bring a car? It seems the favoured format is one barn find type, one midway through a restoration, or a rolling restoration, and one a finished and restored car. However, I think if just applied for a two car stand, we might get it.
    If you bring a car, are you happy to help man the stand on a rota system basis and talk to the public about the work that you have done/planning to do?
    Would you be happy to do some small jobs on your car while it's on the stand, so we're an active type stand.
    Can you help man the stand on a rota system basis, even if you don't bring a car?
    Any other thoughts/views, but please be as quick as you can, so that I can go back to Alison.

I'm assuming that we will get an allocation of free tickets, to allow us to man the stand so there would be no ticket cost for those helping to man the stand

Please note, for insurance reasons, we can only have club members cars on the stand and club members manning the stand. However, non-members are very welcome to visit us

Thank you,

Tanya
    Last edited by Austin-Rover; 26th January 2015, 16:51.

I can help set up on the Friday and man the stand for one day if any help??

Also have a very rough condition turbo which is slowly being restored. If I can arrange a trailer it's yours for the use

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by sportingfiat View Post
      I can help set up on the Friday and man the stand for one day if any help??

Also have a very rough condition turbo which is slowly being restored. If I can arrange a trailer it's yours for the use

Andy
      That sounds fantastic Andy - just what we'd need. If you are able to bring your turbo, and providing we can find one more car (two would be lovely) which is either further along in the restoration than your or full restored, that would be great. Are you able to help man the stand at all on a rota basis?

Comment

Yeah manning the stand is no problem

better start looking for a towbar for my mg6 lol quick

Will send you my number if helps???

Comment

How do I get my car on the stand at this? Also, how would I go about it for the NEC next year? I would have thought the standards would be pretty impeccable, but my car is pretty much there condition wise and certainly would be with a bit of fettling.

1989 MG Maestro Turbo no.399

1994 Maestro Clubman Turbo Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by John S View Post
            How do I get my car on the stand at this? Also, how would I go about it for the NEC next year? I would have thought the standards would be pretty impeccable, but my car is pretty much there condition wise and certainly would be with a bit of fettling.
            First of all you join the club John as the NEC is members only
            1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
            1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
            2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
            2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
            2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

We have a stand!

Good news, we've have our stand application accepted for the show and I've signed the contract.

sportingfiat - are you still able to bring your Turbo? John S -do you have a car that you would like to bring? I'll message you both anyway.

I know that marthubb has a car that he would like to bring.

Does anyone else have a car that they would like to bring? Either post here or send me a message. We can take up to three, although the organiser is happy if we just manage to bring two.

Also, are there any of you who would like to come and help man the stand on one of the days, on a rota system? We only get allocated a limited number of free tickets for manning the stand and obviously those who bring a car will get a free tickets for both days. If you would like to help man the stand, please post here or send me a message.

I've attached the floorplan for the show - I wonder how long it will take you to find us on it! I'll give you a clue, look between 'Ask our Experts' and 'Silverstone Auctions'.

Just a reminder - anyone who brings a car or mans the stand needs to be a member of the M&MOC.
              Last edited by Tanya; 29th March 2016, 16:30.

Comment

Working...
              X