No announcement yet.

ANTI ROLL BAR LINK - Solved!! I think.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if another smaller rubber bush will do. Slip this over arb and tight fit into the VW bush. ie 16 or 17mm od with say 12mm id? Rubber to rubber should have better friction and so not slip out?
    sigpic
    63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
    'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
    '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
    '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
    'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
    '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
    'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

13mm ID rubber tubing should be a tight fit onto end of arb!? Pretty much a standard size and loads on ebay @ £2.95 per m. This in turn should be a tight fit into VW bush? I'm not ready to try yet, but if anyone else does, let us know.
      sigpic

Comment

Good idea that, but I reckon the wall of the hose will be too thick and the hose will be too soft to get a tight fit inside the rubber bush.

I bought solderless pipe connectors today (10 for 2 quid) - the diameter of the tube is a great fit in the golf bush, had to press it in with the vice; albeit a bit short. Took it to the bar and, as expected, it was a bit loose; so I packed it out with a half round of 15mm tube - quite tight - I shall get the verdict from the tester tomorrow. If it gets the from the tester I shall just have to rob an original from the Maestro for the day!

Comment

Look forward to the verdict! If it don't work, try that 13mm tubing and let us know! Could even try 13mm silicone tubing instead. Mind you, I think rubber coolant hose is quite tough. We'll get there in the end. Wonder if there are any thinner 13mm hosing available, say with 1.5mm walls?
          sigpic

Comment

Been making Marine grade stainless ones for over 6 months now, Making a new batch now as already sold 10 pairs!
            £50 each with poly at the same shore hardness as rubber,
            People are amazed at the quality of them when they see them.
            A lot of effort went into replicating the originals dimensionally hence the folded ends yet raise the quality of the product.
            Attached Files

Comment

Are the club going to buy some in bulk for the members
              Sure & steadfast.
              BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
              1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
              1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Why would they when they are publicly available anyway?
                Wouldn't make sense to tie up club funds in stock that people can buy for themselves anyway.
                www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Even though they look fantastic, at £50 each I can't see many people buying. If the price came down with a bulk buy we could probably get together on this, but at the mo the Mk2 golf items are so cheap and solutions almost found for the rubber problem.
                  sigpic

Comment

well i am def not paying £50 each. I been out of full time empolyment since oct 2007 and as a carer get peanuts
                    Sure & steadfast.
                    1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Had another idea. How about using sheet lead strip wrapped round ends of arb to form a tight fit into VW rubber? Once in place, the edge of the lead could be bent up around the back of the VW link to stop it slipping out. If it is tight enough it shouldn't slip out, but the lead could even be stuck to the arb with silicone during wrapping.
                      Last edited by Jumturbo; 6th March 2009, 20:05.
                      sigpic

Comment

This sounds great.Can somebody state clearly what needs to be acquired and the modification ? i.e- 1 MK 2 golf anti roll bar bush....then....

Comment

Is it absolutely necessary to have both ends of the arb bush flanged .If the force is going towards the front .Couldnt we find a bush to fit similar to the rear axel bush with a rubber flange on the end.Grind off one of the steel flanges to enable the new rubber or other material to be pushed in.?
                          Sure & steadfast.

Comment

A replacement bush probably doesn't need to be double flanged, as long as it can't wriggle out the back. Looking at the VW links I bought, the actual 'metal' hole in the link is about 34mm diameter ( say 35mm bush needed for a tight fit). So if we can source a 35mm bush with a 12mm hole and about 35 to 40mm long this should do. Powerflex may do one. If this don't work, I reckon wrapping the 'narrow' arb ends in sheet lead to make a tight fit in the VW bush will work, especially when you can flange the end of the lead easily. Mattr, what are you not sure about? All your doing is swapping the Rover drop link and bush for the VW item, but you don't need the rubber spacers that come with the VW link. Only problem is, the hole in the VW rubber bush is about 15mm dia as opposed to 12mm in the Rover bush, so we need to make the Rover arb a tight fit in the VW bush.
                            Last edited by Jumturbo; 6th March 2009, 20:06.
                            sigpic

Comment

I asked them today about montego bushes but we were at cross purposes as they dont do anything for montego.I then asked about maestros as maestro/montegos ones are the same .Have not yet had a reply.But i didnt give any diamention as i didnt know them .If there is more requests from us it might get the response we want if they dont do the the size of bush we want.
                              Sure & steadfast.

Comment

I'll have a look on Powerflex's website. They probably do various universal poly bushes, but I know they're not cheap. Probably min £10 each. I reckon the lead idea will be best.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X