Sorting out my MG1600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorting out my MG1600

The other day, when I was missing the use of my MG Maestro 1600, I decided to try to put it back on the road. It has been SORNd since Spring 2009 and as I will have owned it for 10 years in April, I think it deserves to be used a bit more.

So I spent some time fiddling with it today and made a list of what it needs. After charging the battery I got it to start quite easily which is always a good sign so I now have a short 'to do' list:

Replace missing driver's door mirror - spare mirror in my garage
    Re-affix rear view mirror - sticky pads ordered today
    Repaint door frame on drivers door - satin black tin in garage
    Fit driver's door bin - old one on the back seat
    Stick grey vinyl back on rear door trim - glue ordered
    Buy two front tyres as they look just below the legal limit
    Order a new exhaust centre section as old one is blowing

And if I get time, I'll sort out the aerial and maybe fit one of my spare Philips stereos so I have FM. Then I'll insure it (I have a quote for £87) and then put it in for an MOT.

I also washed it so I'll post some pictures in the morning when I've got them off my camera.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by matthewsemple; 17th January 2011, 09:24.

I did'nt realise it was off the road, still looks good so will be good to see it sorted

Comment

If you need a hand with anything Matt i am off work for the next week so can help anytime.

Comment

hi,
        thats one nice looking mg 1600 i have always quite liked them. i often wondered what happend to this car as i used to see this car around the kingswood area of bristol. nice see it again!!

cheers matt.
        1993 rover montego countryman TD

Comment

I didn't realise you hadn't used it for so long.
          A most under-represented model of MG on this forum.
          Please keep us up to speed with the progress
          Regards
          John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
          MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Hi Matt - another Matt in Bristol on the forum! There are also two Zircon Blue MG Maestro 1600s in Bristol both on an A-reg. I rarely go to Kingswood so there is a chance that you have seen the other one that is still in regular use.

Oli - if you'd like to come over and have a cup of tea and look at the cars, that would be great. Are you any good at fitting aerials? I'll send you a PM.

I don't think it will take much to get it through the MOT although you never know what they could turn up.

Comment

Sounds good, drop me a pm when you get a minute and we will arrange something - let me know when you are free.

Cheers.

Comment

more tinkering

I spent a bit more time sorting out my MG1600 today. I noticed that there is a hole in the centre section of the exhaust so I am going to have to order one of those. The front tyres are probably borderline too as there is not much tread at the edges.

I checked all the lights and had to sort out a blown fog light bulb and some corrosion on the cluster circuit. Now all the lights work on the whole car. I also topped up the fluids and did a bit more cleaning and tinkering.

My Summit interior mirror pads have arrived but I haven't refitted the rear-view mirror. Also arrived in the post this week is a rust remover product. I ordered Rapide Rust Remover. Has anyone used this? It says you have to mix it with water and immerse the part in the solution overnight. This is a bit tricky when it is a rust patch on the sill I want to treat. Can I paint this on like Kurust?

Comment

Hi Matt

Good to see the car back. I had to do a same sort of thing last year to get my MG1600 back on the road, but for me it was well worth it even if its was just for the silly smile after the first time it had a serious run on the open road. - John

Comment

Good to hear from you John and good to see that your MG1600 is still around. One day we'll get them both together for a picture as they would make a great pair being the same colour even if they are different under the bonnet!

Comment

Originally posted by matthewsemple View Post
                      It says you have to mix it with water and immerse the part in the solution overnight. This is a bit tricky when it is a rust patch on the sill I want to treat. Can I paint this on like Kurust?
                      You could try but it probably won't work as well as immersion. Kurust is a convertor, which is a slightly different approach to a remover.

Tell you the truth, as rust removers go (not convertors), plain old Aldi's malt vinegar is as good as anything. I used it last Spring to de-rust the airbox clamps on MGT 396:

Before:

Immerse for 24 hours:

Run under the tap & quick scrub with a £1 squishy sandpaper block:

Painted:

Doesn't say anything positive about what it's doing to your innards does it
                      Another side effect is during the process you have this uncontrollable urge to eat chips
                      Regards
                      John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                      MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Hi Matthew - there was nice a zircon Blue MG1600 (R) at this years BL show, me and its owner ( sorry I can't remember his names) we spent some time comparing it against my S series MG and it was surprising how different the two cars were under the bonnet. Maybe one day we could get all three cars togther. John

Comment

Yes the S-Series is very different engine and all the MG1600 gubbins is re-arranged which makes it an interesting layout plus you have the carb-cooling fan.

Update on mine: progress is slow! But I have received my exhaust centre section which is now in the garage awaiting fitment. I will probably get the exhaust & tyre place to pop it on when I get the tyres as it will save me scrabbling around under the car in freezing temperatures.

Comment

MG1600 Update

Update on my MG1600

I have got two new tyres fitted - had to pop the wheels in the boot of the ZT to take them to a tyre fitter whilst the MG1600 was on axle stands. I have also refitted the rear view mirror and a driver's door mirror. There was also a faulty rear light caused by corrosion in the cluster circuit so that was cleaned up and now works. So that is all the MOT-related stuff.

The car also has a (massive) new battery that I originally bought for the MG ZT but never used. It is an 096 size with 75Ah which helps start the engine.

I haven't done some of the cosmetic jobs like door surrounds, the trim on the rear door or the driver's door bin that is broken - but all that can wait.

I topped up all the fluids yesterday and gave it a good wash. The exhaust centre section has not been fitted yet. (I am going to do that on the way to the MOT testing centre).

The car is now insured and MOT is booked for 10am tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by matthewsemple View Post
                              Update on my MG1600

I have got two new tyres fitted - had to pop the wheels in the boot of the ZT to take them to a tyre fitter whilst the MG1600 was on axle stands. I have also refitted the rear view mirror and a driver's door mirror. There was also a faulty rear light caused by corrosion in the cluster circuit so that was cleaned up and now works. So that is all the MOT-related stuff.

The car also has a (massive) new battery that I originally bought for the MG ZT but never used. It is an 096 size with 75Ah which helps start the engine.

I haven't done some of the cosmetic jobs like door surrounds, the trim on the rear door or the driver's door bin that is broken - but all that can wait.

I topped up all the fluids yesterday and gave it a good wash. The exhaust centre section has not been fitted yet. (I am going to do that on the way to the MOT testing centre).

The car is now insured and MOT is booked for 10am tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed!
                              Best o luck with the MOT Matt
                              1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                              1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                              1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                              2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                              2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Working...
                              X