Sunroof dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunroof dilemma

Hit a right dilemma thus morning regarding original production sunroofs and later ones.
    I have the original steel panel sunroof cartridge for my 83 maestro, and intended to electrify it, BUT, the motor cannot be swapped out for an elec one.
    so here's the purists can scroll past.......

I've obtained a mint condition glass slide/tilt as thus later type is the only one that can either be elec or manual winding. So I either remove the glass and make a steel plate to go in its place, or just use the tinted glass panel.

AND after much deliberation, 3 fags, 4 brews and a toilet visit, the glass oanel has it.

so anyone in need of a mint early montego/maestro sunroof cartridge complete, let me know.

Pics of both below.
    Attached Files

I thought the early ones had a 'tilt only' sunroof & a different sized hole in the roof? This rings a bell though, so I guess you might already have posted about it...

Comment

Early had tilt and slide. Mechanism was slightly different though. You can add an electric motor to a later sunroof. Montego and maestro glass sunroofs are a different profile from memory, montego glass has a different curve
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
      2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
      2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
        Early had tilt and slide. Mechanism was slightly different though. You can add an electric motor to a later sunroof. Montego and maestro glass sunroofs are a different profile from memory, montego glass has a different curve
        Yes, the glass is definately a different curve, Norman showed me that one day! I'm sure my R series has a different radius on the corners of the hole though, not sure about the s series as it is up on a lift, out of my reach... The epc is very vague, I suspect that the microfiche mi ght be more help..

Comment

The early monty went straight in the hole, perfect fit in fact, but I never got round to adjusting it height wise, so I'd agree the actual curve in the centre is slightly lower compared to the later maestro glass panel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr bump View Post
            The early monty went straight in the hole, perfect fit in fact, but I never got round to adjusting it height wise, so I'd agree the actual curve in the centre is slightly lower compared to the later maestro glass panel.
            The curve on the roof is definately a bit different, the bit I wasn't sure about was the curves on the corners of the hole in the roof. The early Maestros (up to 1986) had what looked like an aftermarket sun hatch, then when the montego came out they changed to the slide/tilt ones & made everything interchangeable, apart from the curve on the glass. Sounds as though they kept the size of the hole the same as well tho' !

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post

The curve on the roof is definately a bit different, the bit I wasn't sure about was the curves on the corners of the hole in the roof. The early Maestros (up to 1986) had what looked like an aftermarket sun hatch, then when the montego came out they changed to the slide/tilt ones & made everything interchangeable, apart from the curve on the glass. Sounds as though they kept the size of the hole the same as well tho' !
              The sunroof opening is the same as is the sunroof tray on later models with a glass sunroof, the curve is different in the centre from memory as the roof has a slightly different curve on a maestro

Comment

Originally posted by Mr bump View Post
                Hit a right dilemma thus morning regarding original production sunroofs and later ones.
                I have the original steel panel sunroof cartridge for my 83 maestro, and intended to electrify it, BUT, the motor cannot be swapped out for an elec one.
                so here's the purists can scroll past.......

I've obtained a mint condition glass slide/tilt as thus later type is the only one that can either be elec or manual winding. So I either remove the glass and make a steel plate to go in its place, or just use the tinted glass panel.

AND after much deliberation, 3 fags, 4 brews and a toilet visit, the glass oanel has it.

so anyone in need of a mint early montego/maestro sunroof cartridge complete, let me know.

Pics of both below.
                That might be of use to Ray Greenwood for his early VP project

Comment

Working...
                X