EFI or Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFI or Turbo

I’m busy selling old Ford junk from the garage and my Montego fund is growing. When I was 17 I drove my mum’s all-white 1987 E-reg Montego EFI and loved it. I am now faced with a dilemma as to whether to look for an EFI … or is the Turbo so much more exciting to drive that it’s worth saving more and holding out for one? Can anyone tell me if there is much of a difference in how they drive and how fast they are relative to one another?

I’ve got a 1995 Rover 420 Gsi Tourer and I didn’t want to be disappointed with the performance as the Rover is quite pokey at 136hp.

Based on my 30 years experience of these cars and my sons using his Turbo atm
    If you're going to use it, an EFi is more reliable than a Turbo but if you know your way around how a Turbo runs it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Turbo does have the ooomph factor in a straight line and is much more fun but doesn't have much top end, the EFi can hold it's own against most modern cars.
    Driving a Turbo you'll get many boy racers wanting to race you although both have a presence on the road now and you'll get many thumbs up for both.
    Are you after an early or late Turbo as early models to command a better price? IMO Later cars are put together better but something was lost on the facelift cars in fun appeal
    Prices for both are on the up but Turbo's command a premium as you probably know.
    Prices for spares are the same but some Turbo engine parts are getting harder to find as are radiators and you'll have to have a Turbo exhaust fabricated.
    MPG Turbo you'll be lucky to get 20, EFi should get 33.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Interesting points Jeff. EFI might suit me better. I know nothing about turbos but have a little carb experience from my XR3. I’m after an earlier car - up to E-reg from an aesthetic and nostalgia point of view I like the red grid dashboard background and old heater controls, plus the older trim - I actually prefer the (I think) Marle Deco??? Our EFI had the non-turbo front air dam which I also like. I quite like the ‘86 onwards alloys but I’m partial to wheel trims as well. I don’t much care for the lattice alloys - I think they look great on the Advantage and later cars but I like the older look. Problem I suppose is finding the right car. Would love one in white but would consider any early colour.

Comment

All depends on your budget and if you want a mint car, one that needs minor work or one that needs lots of work. Marle deco was early only and now the seats will have a little sagging material. Later now have the red stripe either missing or damaged. Metric wheels and tyres are not for everyday use. Dish alloys are now rare

Comment

I think Jeff summed up pretty well. I have a Montego VP EFi and although it's not fast really by modern standards the EFi has an instant torque response and makes a nice noise when you give it revs. Still want a turbo at some point but not sure I could part with the VP so it might never happen. I also prefer the earlier cars. Just a bit more 80s cool. What's your budget?

Comment

I spent 6 years bare-shell restoring an XR3 and like that I know it’s rust free and I understand how it all works in case it goes wrong. I think I’m either after something in lovely nick, or an utter shed I can strip and build from bare shell. The issue with the latter is time. I’ve got a 1990 Mercedes 420SE in bits on the drive and I get no spare time for that so maybe a really nice one is best. I offered a guy £8750 for his imperfect Turbo which he accepted then welched on. Not sure if he still has that car but I didn’t appreciate his approach so I’d be loathed to offer him money again even though I loved the car.

Ideally I’d like to spend less as it’ll be an occasional car for dry days. Maybe £5-6k.

Comment

If you're after a project mg montego 2.0i my son has one he will be selling later in 2023?
              Red face-lift of you're interested, if not its no problem

Comment

Hi Jeff. The timing is right but I might hold out for an earlier car I think. Depends how often they come up I suppose. Please do let me know if you hear of any other cars coming up. I think my priority, if it’s a project car, will be having a complete interior, even if it needs work. I’ve done the headlining in my Rover 400 so I’m a bit of a dab hand at that job at least!

Comment

Not a problem. You should have put a bid in for my old mg montego with digidash dash as that went quite cheaply at mattewsons. headlining I did a how too a few years ago on here. Quite an easy job and satisfying once done.
                  Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 30th December 2022, 18:31.

Comment

Yes, I missed out there. It looked a lovely car. I’d been fixating on getting a Turbo so despite my love of the digi dash I didn’t bid. Cars don’t seem to come up for sale too often so I definitely regret missing it.

Comment

Best of luck finding one. They are getting rare now but you never know

Comment

I am sure something will turn up if you are patient. I waited a long time for the spec and colour I wanted. £5-6k will get a half decent EFi or a project Turbo

Comment

Fingers crossed. I’ll keep looking. Thank gents.

Comment

Working...
                          X