Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone just bought a Rover Montego 1.6LX saloon so I have joined the club. It’s a very genuine 1 owner car 81500 miles and has a current MOT, drives ok. I want to do some bodywork and need to remove the rear window. Can anyone help with this? Thanks Jon

The hardest part is getting the plastic trim off in one piece, a set of trim removal tools, a scalpel and a lot of patience needed. I've found a multi tool to be good for taking the screen itself out, but you'll need to take all of the trim and parcel shelf out of the interior to get the tool in, anytime I've used the cheesewire type screen removal tools it has ended in disaster!

Comment

You'll need to remove the inner rear cover trims and parcel shelf first then remove the outer side, top and bottom cover trims. To get the parcel shelf out you'll need to remove the rear seat side bolsters and rear seat belt lower bolts. If you put the rear seat down you can see what I mean
      The side trims can be removed as John says with a trim removal tool getting under the trims carefully and gently levering them out a bit at a time. The side, top and bottom trims are held in 2in metal clips so can be removed before tackling the screens if you lever the trims off. You need to remove the side trims first then top and bottom trims.
      Using cheesewire will always make the screens explode as it gets forced behind the metal clips and strains the screens so you'll have to cut the bonding with plenty of stanley knife blades cutting into the bonding and going round the metal holding trims.
      If you take your time it can be done but don't rush or force it. The last ones I took out took me 6 hours in total with a lot of sweat and cutting blades

Post 126, 273, 274, 296 and 297 should help you a little https://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/...-with-digidash
      Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 16th October 2023, 19:27.
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
      2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
      2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Working...
      X