Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Austin Montego HLS (B372 EEG)

Yes, that's right...HLS.

Thanks must go to Richard (montego-turbo) for agreeing to part with his spares car. He didn't know what he'd bought at the time, but we've managed to strike a deal which ensures this HLS gets a second chance to get back on the road, and he gets some of the parts he needed for his own restoration project.

This is the first HLS I've ever seen in the flesh in my ten years of being in the Club, and I reckon it's the first one we've seen on here since the Zircon blue example Ed had.

Here's a couple of pictures to get you going, some more showing its condition in a bit more detail will follow...
    Attached Files

Very well saved Rich, looks like youv'e a little bit of work there, looking forward to seeing this project progress!

Ray
    MG Montego efi C928TBL - Moonraker blue
    Austin Montego Mayfair C943KOE - Clove brown
    MG Maestro 2.Oi H352MOF - Black

Comment

Im glad its got a second chance, nice to see it properly. And not passing it at 50mph ,in an overgrown farmyard

Comment

Wow, they don't call you Austin Rover for nothing!

That could take a fair amount of work - but as you say the last 2.0 HLS was saw was the blue one that, err, 'disappeared from the radar' several years ago...
        Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
        VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
        J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

As promised, a few more pictures in detail.

I know that the car looks pretty horrid 'as is', but look at it a little closer and it's not all doom and gloom ( I hope!)

To start with, the worst parts by far are the rear wheel arches. The offside one being the worst of the two, with rot to the inner arch extending all the way up to the filler pocket. It's bad, but not being a visually critical area, hopefully not too hard to make a sound repair.

The next bit that makes you go 'eeeuurgh!' is the front end. Thankfully, though, it's all bolt on stuff. The ventilated front wings will take a one way trip to the skip along with the bonnet. Unfortunately, the only spare wings I have come with side repeater holes...

Moving on to the doors, n/s/f, n/s/r and o/s/f doors are all rotten. Some more than others, and the o/s/f door may live to fight another day. Frustratingly, the o/s/r door is totally rot free...but some daft sod has taken a flying kick to the top of it!

Now we move on to what makes this car not as bas as it looks...

The seams in the door shuts, barring the one at the bottom of the n/s B pillar (which has a minute amount of bubbling) are all in excellent condition. The rear screen surround, apart from a couple of scabs above the rear screen (they all do that, sir) is rot free. Around the boot aperture is similarly rot free. Also, the boot floor and wheel well. The suspension turrets...same again!. So far so good...

The engine was heard running on Tuesday on eight year old petrol. The mere fact it ran was a good sign, and on its arrival with me today ten litres of fresh petrol saw things much improved, and once warmed up (dicky auto choke suspected) it settled down to a fairly smooth idle.

I think that the first jobs will be to strip the interior out and also check the area around the bulkhead and under the wiper scuttle panel. If I don't find anything scary under the carpets and in the bulkhead then I think it will be worthwhile to start moving forward with some restoration work...
          Attached Files

Comment

More...
            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

im glad you have it as they seem to be a rare model all the best with it mate will be pleased to see the finished product i must say considering being sat in a field for 8 years its in bloody good condition as grass was fairly high around it i feared the worst for the underneath but have to say really supprised as its in better condition than my d reg turbo which sat on tarmac thanks for the parts to help my turbo again all the best with it mate

Comment

My goodness, you've got it bad, Doug... Good luck, well done for taking on such a project!

Comment

That's actually quite good in many difficult-to-repair places, which is reassuring.
                    I've never seen a Maestro or Montego with front wings so rusty before.
                    A bodyshop could easily plate the indicator-holes on your late-style wings. I'm hazarding a guess that they'll be the wrong colour so you'd have to respray them anyhow, so the bodyshop could plate them at the same time.
                    EDIT: Loving the BL 'flying plughole' dealer sticker from Crown Garage. That would even have been old and outdated when it was fitted!
                    Last edited by G51 NAV; 11th August 2012, 20:49.
                    Regards
                    John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                    MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

I've seen early wings on Ebay fairly recently.

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV View Post
                        That's actually quite good in many difficult-to-repair places, which is reassuring.
                        Exactly my thoughts. Lets hope I don' find any hidden horrors!

Comment

Originally posted by Austin-Rover View Post
                          Lets hope I don' find any hidden horrors!
                          Remember, though, it's Targa Red...

Comment

Don't look that bad Rich, looking forward to some updates on it.
                            1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                            1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                            2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                            2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                            2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Wow, what an exciting project. I will look forward to updates on this with great interest. I'm sure it won't suffer the same fate as my old HLS.
                              1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

Working...
                              X