Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo 251 - rolling resto

hi guys,

I thought I would start a thread where I can centralise all my progress with no 251. Its going to be a rolling resto - its in average condition at the moment and is MOT'd. It will have to wait till next year this time to get its full rebuild - the garage is reserved this winter for my tvr and v8 westfield rebuilds!

heres a picture taken today

Last edited by chris-durham; 31st August 2013, 19:49.

** removed aftermarket pedals**

** removed boost gauge fitted to a pillar**

** fitted missing interior mirror**

** heavy misfireing when coming on boost and backfiring - found HT leads loose and corroded - replaced HT leads, rotor arm, distributor cap and BPR6ES spark plugs gapped to 0.85mm - this resolved the problem**

** vibration from exhaust - found metal bracket from tailpipe to car with no rubber - removed this, repalced exhaust clamps and repositioned to clear axle - more work required to get fit perfect**

** alloys removed to be refurbed and fitted with new 185/55/15 tyres**

** no oil in carb dashpot - filled with 10w/40**

** heavy clunking and creaking - suspected n/s/f anti roll bar bush to lower arm - dropped bar, cleaned, removed rust, lubricated bushes - refitted - noise still there!!**

** some play found in n/s/f bottom balljoint - looks original with rivets still in place - replaced - noise now gone**

** samco intercooler hose kinked - found brocken rubber bobbin mount - replaced mount and shortened join to carb -kink now gone**

** changed to BPR7ES plugs gapped to 0.85mm**

** front windscreen washer operates from rear washer switch - +ve feed to motor, no earth at motor**

Comment

Originally posted by chris-durham View Post
      ** front windscreen washer operates from rear washer switch - +ve feed to motor, no earth at motor**
      Last one is probably someone has swapped the connections on the washer motors under the bonnet.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

** faulty earth traced to broken wire near motor connection - new connectors fitted - both motors working**

** n/s/f door correctly adjusted to clear front wing - where paint has rubbed**

** front bumper brackets adjusted to reduce panel gaps**

before

after

Comment

The bumpers always sag in my experience over time.
          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Whoa nice blog, Chris
            I see it looks to have had an alarm screwed to the n/s suspension turret.
            Hadn't noticed before that the bumpers have been smoothed. Looks good like that. The strip on the bumpers always looks a bit odd without rubbing-strips on the doors.
            Regards
            John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
            MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV View Post
              Whoa nice blog, Chris
              I see it looks to have had an alarm screwed to the n/s suspension turret.
              Hadn't noticed before that the bumpers have been smoothed. Looks good like that. The strip on the bumpers always looks a bit odd without rubbing-strips on the doors.
              yeah i whipped the old bracket off last night - ive still the remains of the wiring to remove from it.

Yeah, smooth bumpers, to be honest not my taste! lol - if anyone wants to swap these for a non-smoothed set + id add cash - then PM me! :+)

I did consider contacting the guy on ebay thats selling the turbo kit - which is in the right colour but a bit far.

I want to get it back to looking factory if I can...

Comment

** a more basic job for tonight - my front door bins are missing - so some investigation revealed that when the doors were changed, the mounting holes were in the wrong place. so after drilling out and fileing them square - we had some new mounting points**

Comment

It's little things like that which make all the difference. That's excellent. I didn't even realise they'd made doors with different holes.
                  Regards
                  John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

yeah i just thought they needed to be refitted - so thought rather than just use self tappers, would make use of the original square plastic inserts.

There are tons of little jobs like this ive got to do... will just take time

Comment

** bracket that holds carb heatshield removed and captive nuts re-tapped - all refitted - heatshield secured**

** o/s/f door bin fitted to door as per n/s/f and rubber strip secured**

** my local parts place had a couple of std front shocks in stock - so i took them off his hands :+)**

Comment

Now with non-smoothed bumpers

Comment

Very nice! Does it have smoked rear lights? The yellow indicator seems toned down. Not that that's a bad thing…
                          Regards
                          John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

im guessing so - glad someone pointed that out - as i wasnt sure - will need to source a std set too - with any luck will have some matching door strips tomorrow

Comment

She's looking well Chris - hope you like them? I won't see mine until sometime tommorow. Not fitting them yet though as lots of work under car to do before weather really turns.

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

Working...
                              X