turbo 251 - rolling resto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok guys some small updates on 251 -

**fitted and correctly tensioned new alternator and power steering pump belts - this has solved the issues i was getting.

**fitted new timing belt and tensioner.

**fitted new headlining as per Jeff thread!

Comment

looks spot on that roof lining, only thing is makes other things look dirty!
      MG Maestro turbo 437
      367 Bhp

Comment

haha -- yeah your right - need to get that sunroof blind done!

its not perfect by any means but so much better than it was

Comment

Wish you were a bit nearer, you could come and do mine in MGT 396!
          Replacing it is WAY beyond me. Saw ages ago someone saying they found somewhere which did it for £120. Wish I could find somewhere that would do it near me for that price. I'd shake their hand off because I think the labour involved is easy worth that amount.
          Regards
          John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
          MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Looks spot on that Chris, was it completed without to much swearing ha.
            MG Maestro Turbo #500
            BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
            Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
            Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Nice job Chris but grab handles are upside down
              1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
              1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
              1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
              2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
              2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
              2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Fit all-vinyl sun flaps, easier to keep clean. That blind will respond to a good scrub with soapy water or upholstery cleaner, you could even try baby wipes first but be careful of your new headlining which looks absolutely superb by the way!
                M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by chris-durham View Post
                  Replacement aeriel fitted. And yes I forgot to tie some string to the end of the cable lol. So had lots of fun trying to feed it thru. After it was finally fitted I then released the mounting holes were not lined up, so I desoldered the brackets and swapped them, also fitted new unbutchered a pillar trim!

If your replacement aerial was too large, it would have been a Montego one as they're larger

Comment

ok guys another update

**after a trip to the barn i found some std suspension springs - used front and NOS rear - thanks Jeff/Mal

distance from wheel centre to arch lip
                    before: F = 310mm R = 315mm
                    after: F = 350mm R = 380mm

Now ive got reference values off of Norman who got:
                    F = 360mm R = 380mm

So its quite close now to a factory spec car. I also fitted NOS damper (also have NOS rear to fit at a later date)

heres how it sits now:

**next job was wheel alignment - so took to my local tyre place and gave them the details discussed in the other thread - drives a lot better now - but still not great - and it can only be down to the very soft budget tyres i had to put on it.

** if we look closely here- the eagle eyed - its clear to see why the exhaust is hitting at several places! its a stainless item on it - not sure of brand.

from the quick look i took - i think moving the centre section further back may help - a job for another day

Comment

Hi Chris - yeah they've got site right with the proper tyre profile - suspension ride height - with a slightly nose down attitude. Your ss exhaust resembles a Scorpion system going by the tail pipe? Looking well btw - can't be much to do now?

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

cheers mike - 3 urgent jobs to look at next...

1) re-fit exhaust - very very close to copper lines and hits in several places

2) very odd vibration - worst between 2500 and 4000 rpm - also seems worse when reving or light acceleration. I had it down to the very worn timing belt tensioner pully. From what i can gather its coming from the back of the engine....

3) misfire when coming on boost - it feels like ign related, but all of this is new except coil, maybe something to try. i plan to put boost back to std and work from there - re fueling etc....

1 and 2 may actually be linked anyway - i feel in general there is a LOT of vibration through the car - not sure if this brand of exhaust is to blame or not?

Comment

It wouldn't be a maestro if there wasn't a rattle from some where!! Behind the dash is the norm
                          MG Maestro turbo 437
                          367 Bhp

Comment

Originally posted by chris-durham View Post
                            cheers mike - 3 urgent jobs to look at next...

1) re-fit exhaust - very very close to copper lines and hits in several places

2) very odd vibration - worst between 2500 and 4000 rpm - also seems worse when reving or light acceleration. I had it down to the very worn timing belt tensioner pully. From what i can gather its coming from the back of the engine....

3) misfire when coming on boost - it feels like ign related, but all of this is new except coil, maybe something to try. i plan to put boost back to std and work from there - re fueling etc....

1 and 2 may actually be linked anyway - i feel in general there is a LOT of vibration through the car - not sure if this brand of exhaust is to blame or not?
                            Is it a virbration noise? If so it's normally the downpipe knocking against the xmember

Comment

yes, something else to check out - once i get under it

Comment

well a lovely warm evening to be lying outside under the mg LOL

after about 2 hours of battleing with it, the full exhaust is off!

so tomorrow or sunday i will try to refit it - correctly this time so it doesnt hit the copper lines under the car!

Comment

Working...
                                X