#436 Breaks Cover!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #436 Breaks Cover!

For the first time in nearly two years, #436 is outside in preparation for fitting the doors and engine. No room in my garage to work on the LHS of the car and its a squeeze on the right, so fitting doors in the (comparative) warm and dry is not an option. Everything is focused on getting it as complete as possible ready for the NEC show next month. Its had a significant amount of money spent on it, so I hope that it will all be worth it in the end. Those of you who read my article in Monstro will have seen how the car was at the end of 2015 - far cry from how it is now.

The interior is about 80% complete, tailgate glass should be fitted this week, along with drivers door. That then means I can fit the dashboard and check the electrics. If they pass ok, then it will be front seats in and finish the roof lining. Small problem found today with the new bigger discs, should be resolved this week as well, which means I can finish the brakes by filling the system and bleeding.

I think I'm on target, but still encounter issues that set me back a few hours.
    Membership Secretary
    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Quite a detailed operation going on there Pete - tease us some more with a closer engine bay photo before the actual engine goes in pleeeaaase.

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

looking good pete, it be worth it in the end :-)
      MG Maestro turbo 437
      367 Bhp

Comment

Looks great Pete good luck in getting it ready for next month I hope you make it. Looking forward to finished pics as well.

Maestro turbo No. 108

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce Ti (daily driver)(Vesuvio grey)
        Mazda MX5 RF LE (Soul Red)
        Honda CBR 600 FW (weekend toy)

Instagram & Facebook - mgmaestroturbo108

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Brock View Post
          ...tease us some more with a closer engine bay photo before the actual engine goes in pleeeaaase.
          Is this the sort of thing you were thinking of Mike, or do you want to see a specific area? Oh, and the 2nd picture is what it was like after I removed the engine two years ago
          Membership Secretary

Comment

Nice work Peter. An inspiration to us all.

I do like the before and after photos.

Comment

Thanks Pete - looking well indeed. I highly recommend a website to document your restoration.

Comment

Looking great Pete. cant wait to see the finished photos
                MG Maestro Turbo #500
                BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
                Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
                Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Big step forward today with the fitting of the engine - at least to the point the crane can be removed! Pictures show the start of work at 10::00 and then 7 hours later with the engine installed, except for the rear mounting and ready for the ancilliaries to be connected up. The picture with the red crane was the engine being removed on Christmas eve 2014!
                  Membership Secretary

Comment

Always a worry when putting the engine back in, paint is lovely and you don't wanna scratch it. Great job Pete
                    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

You can see the light at the end of the tunnel now Pete... Mechanical work always very easy on our maestro/montegos - compared to modern cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Brock View Post
                        You can see the light at the end of the tunnel now Pete...
                        Someone may have just blown the candle out, as I encountered what may be a fairly serious setback yesterday. Having fitted the radiator, the opportunity was there to fill the cooling system, including basic anti-freeze at over £5 a litre (HOW MUCH????!) Got it about 3/4 full and noticed water leaking from the rear of the block. Pinpointed the source (hopefully the only one) to the thermostat housing. I'm sure that I tightened the bolts for this. With the correct figure being only 8lbs/ft I don't want to overtighten them to cure the leak, particularly as the top bolt is into a thread insert, as the original bolt had been sheared off during earlier ownership. Its also nigh on impossible to get a socket onto the bolt heads in situ, with the heater pipe connection, servo and fuel pipes all getting in the way!

Also waiting for the floor to dry out so I can crawl underneath and make sure that I haven't got a problem with the new core plugs in the same area. If I have, that could mean a no-show at the NEC!
                        Membership Secretary

Comment

Teething trouble Pete, hopefully not too many for you. you should also on the first fill use only tap water until all leaks are sorted. Then drain and re-fill with coolant
                          1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                          1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                          1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                          2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                          2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Sussex Pete View Post

Pinpointed the source (hopefully the only one) to the thermostat housing. I'm sure that I tightened the bolts for this.
                            Well that was interesting! After a couple of dismantling and reassemblies, I eventually found the problem to be the top housing bolt. Although it was tightening, it wasn't clamping the housing to the block completely. I guess this was caused by the thread insert. So a quick shortening of the bolt threads and all appears to be OK now.
                            Membership Secretary

Comment

Well it made it to the NEC as a (visually) finished car. The problem with overfuelling and failing to get the engine started, compounded by a leaking brake caliper, meant that it was a non-runner at the show. For those who didn't make it to the show this is how the car looks today: Click image for larger version

Name:	20170330_073921.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	320365
                              Membership Secretary

Comment

Working...
                              X