Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hector's (new) House, aka recommissioning of M16 Maestro.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hector's (new) House, aka recommissioning of M16 Maestro.....

Relocated from one end of the country to another, I'll keep posting as work is done..;

Busy busy John .
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
      Busy busy John .
      yes...I should have listened to those warnings about there being no rest for the wicked ha ha ha

Comment

A few bits of welding done on scuttle and rear pillars.., all using galvanised steel about twice as thick as the original material, so should last well..

Comment

A bit more done today.

Comment

Carried on rustproofing and got all of the lights working, only fatality was a front indicator bulb holder...the tag had rusted and snapped off when I was taking the lead off to apply vaseline...the new one will not be doing the same trick, unless someone removes the vaseline of course...

Comment

More fiddly but time consuming tasks completed...a few more to do before monday though....

Comment

Oil pressure switch failed, so a new one had to be fitted, timing belt looks ok, has only done 12,000 miles, but idler and tensioner look a bit rusty and are a bit noisy. Water pump feels ok, but may as well be replaced when the belt is off, new one needs to be modified to clear engine mounting.

Comment

The auxiliary belt tensioner was a bit noisy, so replaced it with a t series timing belt tensioner, which has a bigger bearing and was a straight swap, only needing two washers to make it fit, unfortunately the new belt was longer than the old belt, so ended up using a belt from the T series as fitted to some Discoveries and rerouting it, to give more lap on the pulleys. Another modification was fitting a Prima timing belt tensioner instead of the top idler which seemed to have been catching the engine mounting...Power steering pipes got the kurust treatment as they were a bit brown. The new oil pressure switch was not as simple as it should have been, old one was incredibly tight and new one leaked...the housing had a small crack in it and threads were shorter on new one, so I had to be inventive with a grease nipple, a hacksaw, some loctite and an o ring, to prevent me from having to make up 'Hector's house' closing lines of the 'ho ho ho, I'm just a drippy old Hector' sort ! Sprayed a bit of waxoyl around too changed oil and filter, using 5w40 fully synthetic. Since the block had been drained I took the opportunity to switch to waterless coolant, which should apply less pressure to the heldite on the modified water pump flange. Seemed a bit smokey at first, possibly due to old fuel mixing with new, luckily this cleared by the time it was mot time, replaced fuel filter too, just in case...

Comment

Almost forgot to refit seatbelt stalks (oops!), ended up setting tracking at 2am, but got everything back together in time for mot... Hector is now back on the streets again...in need of some polish and a bit of interior refitting, but the interior will be left until I'm convinced that there are no water leaks...the polish will be a stopgap measure before a respray, but that will be left until every trace of rust has been treated and is definately gone...I have seen a lot of resprayed cars go down with acne after a year or two...

Comment

Since POL was cancelled, just went for a quiet trundle down a few country roads around here...and no-one can prove otherwise The Roachburn colliery memorial seemed like a reasonable place to take a couple of photos, it was rebuilt to a schedule by one of my friends on the centenery of the disaster. Hector was semi-rebuilt by me in time for the anniversary of the Longbridge closure, so sort of appropriate, I thought..

Comment

Haven't kept up to date on here, but have done a few trouble free miles since my last post..now serviced & back on the road for the summer.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Was a nice day, in parts anyway, so called in to help a fellow club member out with a hard to find part for his prize winning van & had a drive up a hill or two..This is only car I've ever owned that would go up Kirkstone pass in third gear without any fuss and at a speed governed by common sense rather than by gravity .
                          Attached Files

Comment

and a few more pictures for good measure!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Great pics, and looks like you enjoyed the drive out
                              1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                              1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                              1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                              2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                              2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Working...
                              X