No announcement yet.

The Rally Maestro project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of little things currently occupy the workshop. John Clayton (JohnC on this forum), dropped in yesterday to meet Tony Fowkes and look round the car. Just sent him a note asking if he can pop up some photos here.

Now back from shopping for some bath-plug chain (for the oil cap and radiator cap). The devil is in the detail and is always the little things that make the difference (or let you down).

Mk3 seats now arrived (cloth recliners, the Mk2s were vinyl covered, not really up to sitting in temperatures of 40C, 120F plus in Saudi Arabia).

Only a few days of workshop time left now...

Comment

• Don't forget to secure the gear linkage rods with the same arrangement so if they fall off you can simply refit them.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

• One of the last-minute thoughts is to ad a fan, on the BACK of the radiator (so not impeding airflow), as a backup, additional bit of help, any thoughts on this - has anyone something to recommend? Various fans on the www.nfauto.co.uk "Car Builders Sollutions" catalogue, fan needs to draw or pull through, not blow of course). Ive seen Kenlowe fans fall to bits on rallycars so do wonder on this, but of course if there is only one main fan, and it gives up, its in trouble.

Someone has said put an extra Metro fan on, and they are reliable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Philip Young View Post
          One of the last-minute thoughts is to ad a fan, on the BACK of the radiator (so not impeding airflow), as a backup, additional bit of help, any thoughts on this - has anyone something to recommend? Various fans on the www.nfauto.co.uk "Car Builders Sollutions" catalogue, fan needs to draw or pull through, not blow of course). Ive seen Kenlowe fans fall to bits on rallycars so do wonder on this, but of course if there is only one main fan, and it gives up, its in trouble.

Someone has said put an extra Metro fan on, and they are reliable.
          if you really want to, use a Montego Turbo fan - these were moved to behind the rad because the intercooler was in front. But personally I wouldn't bother, as long as the cooling system is thoroughly clean and is in good nick together with the rad, these cars generally run cool.
          midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

• Yes so long as the front fan works now it'll be reliable. They only tend to pack up through lack of use. So check it works now. If it does it'll still be working in cape town!.

You can add another fan on the back if you wish but it will block some air from flowing through the rad. I bought a cheapy slimline from e-bay and fitted it to my project van (needed to be on the back of the rad due to the intercooler).

The thing most likely to give up on route is the original engine mounted fuel pump which I presume is sorted now.

Comment

• Philip Young invited me to visit the Maestro and add any input for its build, spares etc. and as a result I had the pleasure of meeting Tony Fowkes on Monday this week.

Tony was a mate and competitor of Tony Pond and we chatted at length about how we ended up as a works Mercedes driver, the profile he got when he came 3rd on the RAC Rally etc. -a fascinating chap.

http://www.tonyfowkesautomobiles.com...kes/4533128391
              http://www.rallye-info.com/driverprofile.asp?driver=288

Here's a pic of the 2 of us (I'm in black)
              Attached Files

Comment

Comment

• 2nd attempt at uploading more photos...
                  Attached Files

Comment

• and some more...
                    Attached Files

Comment

• My thoughts on the car, having now inspected it in person:
                      -The camera doesn't lie (at least in this case) -the car really IS as good as it looks in all the photos
                      -The build standard is stunning. Immaculate throughout, it is finished to the standard of a works car. It has some very nice careful engineering detailing e.g. heat shrouding on key components, fan to cool the carbs etc.
                      -The sump guard looks like it would be adequate for a Challenger Tank; a lighter one would be preferable (or possibly drill lots of holes out of it?). I found that the difference in weight between Austin Mini sump guards made of steel and alloy was surprisingly little 5.5kg & 5 kg respectively.
                      -The cream roof would be better as white to reflect more heat
                      -Consider a back up electric fuel pump (switchable)? Stage rally cars often have them.
                      -Don't forget to have 2 pairs of motocross goggles in there in case the car gets rolled and the crew have to knock the windscreen out to continue
                      Attached Files

Comment

• A safety and reliabillity note.

After some isolated cases of the battery positive cable insulation rubbing through and shorting out on the battery tray on 1.6 Montego & Maestro's an early Rover technical buliten recomended that the battery positive cable be re-routed to run over the top of the cold air intake duct.

I notice from one of the pictures that the mod has not been carried out. Pull the intake duct from the front panel, pull the battery positive cable up and away from the battery tray and then thread the intake duct under the cable and reconnect it to the front panel. Takes 30 seconds to do it.

Regards, G force

Comment

• I think Tony Fowkes is keeping an eye on this site. Ricky Page went into the workshop today with a few front suspension bits.

The front wishbones have have been given a bit of strengthening, and polybushes fitted. Fan for the back of the rad as a bit of back up to the standard fan is going in tomorrow (from Car Builders Sollutions, www.nfautos.com - check out their catalogue). Got some of the stronger anti-roll bar bushes from Rimmers, although the crew contemplate running on the rough stuff with no anti-roll bar at all...a popular move among Pug 205 drivers apparrently. Oil catch tank for the breather pipe also fitted, among little nips and tucks that are occupying the workshop at the mo.

This time in two weeks the car will be on the night-section to Dover... if you want to give the car a good once-over, Tony will be on hand to meet anyone at Brooklands on Jan 1.

Comment

• I'd still bypass the original fuel pump if you can (leave it attached to the engine to use as a backup) as If the diaphram fails in it (which they do) then the electric pump will fill the sump with fuel. Obviously not a good thing.

Otherwise looking good.

Comment

• strengthened wishbones

I doubt you'll need to strengthen wishbones as the standard item is pretty robust to start with .Whilst using an EFI on the Preston road rally which is really rough we've hit a fallen tree on one event and a very large chunk of concrete on another and both times the shock absorber tube and steering arm have bent but the wishbone and its mountings have been fine .

Comment

• CRAMAR -someone won the Preston in an MG Maestro a few years back:
                                http://chelmsfordmc.co.uk/Preston
                                -was that you?

I presume you are Craig Marven as mentioned here?:
                                http://chelmsfordmc.co.uk/cmc/Presto...akeResults.pdf

Do you ever get along to Chelmsford Motor Club events/pub meets? If so, I'll buy you a pint and we can talk about old school MG saloons...

Comment

Working...
                                X