The Rally Maestro project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for that.

Someone looked under the bonnet today and reckoned the long thin advance-retard pipe from carb to the Black Box should have a one-way return valve in it, and this one doesnt have anything at all. Where will I get one of these from, anyone?

Was told it can see fuel go into the box of electronics which sounds a bit dire.

Comment

• As standard it doesn't have anything in it. The later cars had a fuel trap in it to avoid oil/fuel getting down the line and contaminating the MAP sensor inside the ECU. This was rivetted to the near where the wash bottle sits on a bracket with the pipe from the engine going to the bottom and the pipe to the top going to the ECU. All it was was a small plastic tube, no valves in it at all (otherwise that'd upset the ECU).

The earlier cars didn't have it but the later ones did. Make of that what you will!
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

• Originally posted by Philip Young View Post

Was told it can see fuel go into the box of electronics which sounds a bit dire.
        That is a fuel trap, designed to do just that. It was found that over time fuel vapour could eventually find its way into the ecu pressure sensor and damage it. It was not fitted on early cars, it was introduced on most rover models around 89MY. It would be worth fitting if you can source one but it is pretty unlikely to cause any issues if you can't.

Comment

• GAWD! We need one. Being a January '86, it too early to have received this vapour-trap. Has anyone got one to help this project?

We also need some brake pads a touch harder than standard, any suggestions?

Comment

• New one on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-Maes...item20bec228e7

Comment

We also need some brake pads a touch harder than standard, any suggestions?
              Philip I offered you a set of Ferodo 3466 material pads about 2 months ago and they are still on the windowsill in my office, yours if you want them...
              midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

Thanks for that.

Someone looked under the bonnet today and reckoned the long thin advance-retard pipe from carb to the Black Box should have a one-way return valve in it, and this one doesnt have anything at all. Where will I get one of these from, anyone?

My father's MG EFi did way over 200k miles without a fuel trap, so I assume you should be fine. The only thing you really should never do is fitting a one way valve, as this will keep the ignition timing either fully advanced or fully retarded all the time depending on the way the valve is set in.

Regards,

Alexander
                http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index....berbouckef.htm

Comment

• Originally posted by mgdavid View Post
                  Philip I offered you a set of Ferodo 3466 material pads about 2 months ago and they are still on the windowsill in my office, yours if you want them...

Thanks, hope you got my PM and email, as you are only down the road you need to come and see the beast.

One-way valve - Im tempted to just leave alone, we have more than enough to do....but fear the very severe shaking on terrible roads could put fuel vapor into the ECU? MG Mal reckons he has tracked one down on ebay but they clearly dont like me, I cant get into it at the mo. Its not a good day.

Comment

• The bad roads should not be the problem with the vacuum line (about catching fuel - it might fall off ). Too rich mixture, many cold starts etc should be of more concern if the problem is actually one.

Regards,

Alexander
                    http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index....berbouckef.htm

Comment

• Too rich? Too many cold-starts? Its had a lot of that, just recently, its been running rich and we hope a trip to the rolling-road on Monday will cure it for good.

MG David is coming to drive the car on Monday evening, bringing a set of harder brake pads. Hopefully he will part with his comments after we have driven round the lanes.

Comment

• Good idea and as he has driven race prepped maestro/montegos then he should be able to comment on things that may improve it further.

Comment

• Philip,
                          Ref our conversation about which dampers for Maestro rallying, is this of any help?
                          http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ent=tune22.jpg

Also, would you and/or the car be free for a visit to this place:
                          http://www.ceme.co.uk/
                          where a youth Motor Education Project will be doing a Media morning on Fri 9 Dec? They maintain my Maestro and so we could have a look at each others cars at the same time. If it's of interest, I will ask if we can invite you along...
                          Last edited by John C; 26th November 2011, 18:10.

Comment

• Monday: Just back from the rolling-road at Bradleys, (Shipton under Whychwood near Wilton) and this has brought us a big sigh of relief all round. At long last, the Maestro rallycar project is feeling that its performing as it should. A change of needle by Tony Fowkes, and now a good session of adjustments, has produced another 4 bhp gain, just from a screw-driver, and, a much snappier throttle response, smooth delivery from low revs all the way up, and it was singing its heart out through the lanes on the way back. An excellent morning. There was 96 bhp at the flywheel, 76 at the wheels, which might not sound much but has transformed the car, given what we started out with.

Dave Smith (MG David to you) is coming to drive it tonight and it will interesting to hear his verdict...thats it for now, another update later on, then.

Comment

• Excellent. The pics will follow shortly. The only advance comment is that you should get rid of the original fuel pump. It is probably the component most likely to give you issues on the cars adventures.

Comment

• Photos courtesy of Gerard Brown

http://www.gerardbrown.co.uk/
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X