No announcement yet.

The Rally Maestro project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I did think they were pricey, but if Phil Young is pushed for time, I thought he might be interested. I joined the forum, as part of the search for some wheels, for some Barum winter tyres that I got off Fleabay. I was inspired by tales of Swiss haus fraus, in Polos on winter tyres, running rings around Chelsea Tractors on summer tyres, being taken on skiing holidays. Last winter I enjoyed driving past BMW and Mercs, spinning their rear wheels, in a car that cost less than a couple of their tyres. "Should have bought a Maestro mate!" And that was on crappy old (too exciting) summer tyres.

I have lurked for a while... BTW thanks to ETV and others, for all the help over the last few years from the archives.

Don't you get sick of saying, "Have you ever driven one, or even been in one?", to the Top Gear generation. I know I do. A yoof 106er didn't like it when I pointed out that my car was faster, cheaper, more spacious with much better MPG!

Comment

• I gave up looking for Maestro stuff in scrap yards about 7 years ago!
      Me too, but then I have my own "personal Scrap Yard" LOL.

Apparently the owner of the local yard to me is a bit of a brit car nut, and had two stro's come in and be immediately transfered to his house!.

It's almost like an old style yard, as they dont automatically crush older motors, and even have an accliam in there at the mo.

Mal.

Comment

• Ive got cheesegrater alloys in 14 inch in good nick, but we need steel ones for a reason - you can tap out a dented rim. This is going over several deserts, one is like driving from London to Edinburgh down a farm track littered with thousands of house-bricks (lumps of volcanic rock), this desert is in north-kenya, and to get there, probably the hardest roughest day of the whole event, the roads in Ethiopia have to be driven the length of the country...these are pretty horrid, like driving over scaffold poles, corrugations mysteriously set up on dirt roads caused by trucks. Everything shakes apart, your eyeballs go all blurred even. We are mulling it over, some in the prep-shop say the Minilite whels on the car will be fine. Its running 175 tallest possible profile van tyres (Falken 80 profile jobs, cheap!),,,,,as much air between rim and pot-hole will help. Will send some photos to ETV to put up this weekend.

Comment

• Another more piecemeal way to get the steel 51/2J 14 wheels is to go after MGF 'spacesaver' spare wheels. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nk....c0.m270.l1313 They are the same wheel. The benefit is that they are very likely to be in A1 condition. You don't see MGFs running with three alloys and one steel. It might cost more though.

Also, you can get tyres with a rim protection moulding on the side wall. I don't know if these are only for low profiles, or if there are high profile versions, for, ahem, the average lady driver.
          Last edited by PhilBill; 27th October 2011, 21:22. Reason: Added Ebay link

Comment

• Interesting idea there - but the offset is a bit different on the MG F? Will they be 14ins?

Comment

• Have looked at that, but still not sure if the space saver MG TF wheel is 14 inch, my other half has one in the garage so will have to look in the boot (is the front spare wheel well the boot, we also have space at the back), and get the wheel out to check. Didnt Rimmers have a batch of these on special offer sometime back? Dammit! As for Morris Minors, they handle best on the 4.5 inch van wheel, which is hard to get, with 165 tyres, put wider tyres on and it axle-tramps at the back a lot more...and its not so nice and chuckable, it becomes over-tyred. We are going off topic now tho.

We have to use 14 inch on this Maestro. Its got nice high ground clearance (massive) which is good.

Going to see MG Mal Sunday, some snap decisions may be made then.
              py

Comment

• Yes 14 inch. The ebay MGF steels have 175/65 14s on them. I read on this site from the archive that MGF steel spares, are 5.5J 14 Maestro/Monty wheels. My Maestro Clubman TD came on 175/70 14s originally. I switched to 185/65s. The Minor pictured on MGF steel spares was on Marina hubs.

The site search link I put up of 'MGF wheels' didn't work don't know why, sorry. I just had a quick look, and pulled what looked relevant. You could search and have a look at the other search returns.

Comment

• Interesting comments on Polyflex stronger bump-stops for Montegos on another thread on this forum - do they also fit the Maestro, if so, Im tempted to get a set.

Comment

• Montys have the same front suspension as maestros. And the monty saloons have the same rear suspension as the maestro too. Only the self leveling montego estate rear suspension is any different (the non self leveling suspension is the same as the maestro)

All have various spring rates and damper rates and a couple of height options but they'll all physically fit.

So yes the poly bumpstops will fit.
                    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

• Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
                      Montys have the same front suspension as maestros. And the monty saloons have the same rear suspension as the maestro too. Only the self leveling montego estate rear suspension is any different (the non self leveling suspension is the same as the maestro)

All have various spring rates and damper rates and a couple of height options but they'll all physically fit.

So yes the poly bumpstops will fit.
                      ...you forgot to mention the vans are different - back end...
                      midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

• D'oh yes very different. Try fitting leaf springs to the hatchback I really should know that shouldn't I!

Comment

• I've had some enquiries as to what the effect of swapping the gearbox to a PG1 gearbox. Well here are my figures/calculations

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Final
                          K6 (EFI) 2.923 1.75 1.222 0.935 0.765 3.937
                          1.6 VW 3.45 1.94 1.29 0.91 0.71 3.94

Tyre size 175/80/14
                          Revs 6000rpm
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Dan, looks like if the clutch arrangement can be worked out then it's well worth going for the stronger box, and using Turbo shafts will negate the problems anticipated with the VW box.

Will the flywheel need to be changed as well as the box?

Or can the original clutch arangement be kept.

mal.

Comment

• All change I'm afraid, clutch, flywheel, starter, engine adapter plate - I think (not sure on the engine mounts - the efi either uses some mounted to the box), the gear linkages, the gearstick itself. A quite involved swap. I'm not sure the original shafts are that unreliable. It is just the bolts that tend to work loose.

Comment

Working...
                              X