No announcement yet.

The Rally Maestro project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brilliant. Thanks for spotting that Gary, Ive snaffled it up - its on its way. py

Comment

• Well, having nabbed Gary's suggested air-filter, a more serious concern has raised its head. Should the drive shafts be about horizontal with the road? Looking under the front of the car, the drive shafts are angled down to the hub-centres quite a lot. In fact, a lot. Is this bad or are we worrying unduly? We got well over an inch of extra ground clearance from taller tyres. We got half an inch straight away going up from 13 to 14 inch wheels of course. We have uprated springs, but they are longer. The thought now is that we need to get uprated springs, but standard length, to bring it down to make the drive shafts horizontal. A cost we could do without. That will lose us the nice ground clearance.

....Hmmm, what to do?

(Countrydude's brake-calipers 4-pot jobbies arrived today, thanks).

Comment

• The ledbury cars didn't seem to suffer any issues (they used 14 inch wheels and the diesel springs), so I'd not worry unduely. Ideally they should be level, but in practice most cars aren't. So long as they are still within the range of the CV joint movement they should be fine.
        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

• Originally posted by Philip Young View Post
          We have uprated springs, but they are longer. The thought now is that we need to get uprated springs, but standard length, to bring it down to make the drive shafts horizontal. A cost we could do without. That will lose us the nice ground clearance.
          What you could do with checking is the amount of rebound movement you have in the set-up, because from the pictures the front suspension looks like the damper rods could be close to full extension? (the ride hight, & how the wheels tuck under in positive camber)

With the the car on the floor in its normal condition and in the wheels pointing straight ahead, measure the distance between the top and bottom spring seat pans. Then do the same with the front jacked up with the weight off of the suspension. If the two measurements are the same or close then the damper rod is nearly fully extended.

With the suspension like this the dampers & top bearings will quickly destroy themselves over rough terrain as they will be topping out every time the wheel drops into a pothole, the handling will be also compromised.

If there is a problem would the standard diesel engined springs & dampers not be a cheaper solution, albeit with a little less ground clearance?

Comment

• Good sound info here - thanks for that! We are going back to the drawing board. The diesel springs option was tried (see earlier) and found to be too strong for the 1.6 engine, just dunno how they work on the Ledbury's perhaps there are diesel springs, and, diesel springs, but we found them just too tough. We are getting some standard height but uprated springs made. We need to get some Bilstein shocks sorted - does anyone know the rates of the works cars? We tracked down John Dalton to his home in Coventry who did a great deal with the car when at Austin Rover but he doesnt keep this kind of techie detail.

Anyone out there with the knowledge?

Comment

• Originally posted by Philip Young View Post
              We need to get some Bilstein shocks sorted - does anyone know the rates of the works cars? We tracked down John Dalton to his home in Coventry who did a great deal with the car when at Austin Rover but he doesnt keep this kind of techie detail.

Anyone out there with the knowledge?
              You could send a PM or an email to Pablo Raybould as he was involved with the works rally Maestro's and does have some info. Not sure what info he does have but it is worth a punt, I suppose?

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/member.php?u=2970

Comment

• all quiet on this, what is happening?

Comment

• Yes, it has been a bit quiet. Will be going to the workshop to pick up the latest info on Monday afternoon. Have been away, having just driven 5,000 miles from Tanzania to Cape Town - getting over a bit of jetlag and general weariness before getting back into the groove. Land Rover Disco (modern one on loan) ran like clockwork, despite the 17 computers that like to talk to each other now and then.

What else. Well... Got an email from Hen saying we should expect the sumpguard ordered last April to land during the week - I got an email from Tony Fowkes saying nothing has arrived. So it goes on...do I now qualify for a special club medal for patience?

Pablo replied following the tip earlier, helpful bloke but no he doesnt have the rates for the Bilsteins, a pity, as I used to know Tony Pond and Im pretty certain he would have put in hours and hours of testing to get the car set up nicely. Does anyone out there have any Bilstein shocks by any hope? |Pablo is off on the Scally Rally - he didnt say if it was in a Maestro or Montego, a banger rally across Europe).

Those interested in Leyland cars in general will be interested to hear that the guy with the Triumph 2.5 running on two SUs reckons a rolling road test has shown he has 135 bhp at the wheels, and is pleased with the preparation coming together. Should give the Peugeot 504s a run for their money, if it holds up around the back end, that is (Stag diff etc fitted). Entry list has closed, more info on the rally at www.londoncapetownrally.com

The girls reckon they will beat him.... brimming with optimism. See www.girlsacrossafrica.com

py
                  Last edited by Philip Young; 10th September 2011, 21:49.

Comment

• I think some members on here did try to warn you about his track record!

Comment

• Thanks for that ETV - I placed the order before the warnings arrived, but, obviously did so in great faith that he might want to redeem himself. Will post an update and send you some pics when I get back from the workshop on Monday.

Comment

• shame but no surprise about hen, he is a fool, more surprised he was allowed to trade openly again really!!

I think I have seen some old links to bilstein shocks but never actually seen any for sale. It is possible you could phone them and send a shock over as they would have a shock body, it would just be a case of welding the right hub flange on. Depends how into your project they seem I guess to how much they will help. I'd try that first. The only other thing I would say is Gaz suspension are a good company to deal with. They do still produce a coilover kit for the maestro.

Comment

• Try leda suspention i have them on my maestro rally car and there very good handles like a go kart

Comment

• As the rally this car is destined for isn't a tarmac one I'd suggest that perhaps the standard springs and shocks may well be suitable as they are fairly soft. (off road rally springs and dampers are a lot softer than tarmac ones).

Ride height is good on a maestro to start with. The diesel springs/shocks will give a little higher (particularly at the front), but the springs are stronger hence a bouncier ride.

It is one of those things where I'd simply keep the original dampers and fit a few different springs to see what suited.

Obviously a nice set of Leda or Gaz suspension would be nice but it isn't cheap.

Comment

• yes I agree with dan, coilovers are great but for rally you don't want the short travel much stability approach. A higher stance is best for ground clearance. I'm about as high as I can go on my leda's and there is around an inch or less at the wheel arch. Worth asking Gaz if they can check out the poundage on your existing front springs, and make some more suited to your needs.

Comment

• Latest after visiting Tony Fowkes (followed by a mug of tea in nearby Ace Cafe, what an amazing place), is that his son has put in a sheet of 4mm lexon perspex stuff as a back window and its lightened the rear hatch a great deal. Every little helps. Odyssey gel/leisure battery fitted. Needs a clamp, or a box for it tho. Its too noisy so a bigger silcencer box ordered up from Jetex Exhausts (its 2 inch throughout). Booking a session on a rolling road to get it set up - lots of little things now, with the biggest job being suspension, two-core rad is MG Mal comes up with one, and, er...a sumpguard, but Hen is updating me on that tomorrow.

Every time I drop in to see the lads on the car the two-door look along with the paint work quality never ceases to surprise - this really is an terrific job.

Comment

Working...
                                X