Africa Rally Maestro progress thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Piggy Bank View Post
    It was a great experience to see Nr. 15 in front of the Ace Cafe and all worth it to travel from our place.
    Back home the Van had done 1000km's for 40 liters of diesel.
    Fantastic to speak with all involved with this Cape Town Rally Maestro project and to do a wondering tour under and over the Maestro with comments from Phil, Tony and of course the ladies Gill and Jane and their supports.
    Thanks everybody for the perfect organistion of this event !
    I had no idea Piggy Bank is based in Holland, and to keep the money in the bank, the staff drive around in a green Maestro Van with an Austin flying A chrome bonnet badge (from an A35?). What a long trip just to get a plate of chips at the Ace Cafe!

With a trip from Holland in a Maestro Van you demonstrate to all the rest that the excuse "its too far to travel" is rubbish. Jane Edgington drove from North Wales.

I hope you called in at the Lenham Cafe (www.lenhamcafe.com ) on your way back home - the A20 is nicer to drive to Dover than just going down the motorway, and the photos on the walls would have given you lots to talk about!

Good to meet you, and thanks for coming over the water to see us all...

A pity a few more like you didnt turn up, it means the lads at Tony Fowkes Autos have a fridge full of ham rolls and cakes to eat this week. Three Cheers or the Dutch, eh?

Nice to see the John Clayton ex-works "celebrity racer" Maestro parked alongside the World Cup car - this car was driven by top flight Formula One stars in its day also by leading rally drivers like Tony Pond and its an important part of Maestro history. This and a few Maestro's in the car park (which was given over to us all exclusively for a couple of hours - all other visitors to the Ace were marshalled on the gate to go and park around the back!) gave us all lots of room.
    An interesting morning. The effort by Roger and Andy in clearing all their customer cars out of the bodyshop at Tony Fowkes Autos must have been huge - where did they hide them all? the most interesting part of the day was inspecting the floor of the rallycar on the ramp...as Tony says, "what a strong car this is...how under-rated!".

Philip

Would be grateful if John C and MG Mal could email me plse.
    Last edited by Philip Young; 12th March 2012, 08:23.

Comment

• Originally posted by Philip Young View Post

With a trip from Holland in a Maestro Van you demonstrate to all the rest that the excuse "its too far to travel" is rubbish. Jane Edgington drove from North Wales.
      I don't want to start a discussion on this really, but its 100% understandable - and not at all rubbish that people don't want to travel around to these smaller events. it's not the distance thats the problem, or the event - its the fuel. it would cost a lot of money for most to travel - for me I'm struggling to fuel my 60mile a day commute - so quite how I could afford this on top i don't know? And i'm not the only one in that boat....

for me the trip would have cost:

330miles at 37mpg = 9 gallon / 41 litres of fuel & at 137p/litre = £56

now Mr Osborn would have liked that - but I didn't...

I'm not having a dig, but it needed highlighting - its a lot of money to splash out during these dificult times.

Andy
      CURRENT FLEET:
      1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
      1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
      1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
      2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
      1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

• I posted on "the day" on the other thread Philip.

But have to agree, it was a great morning and distance is not an issue for the die hard owner such as "piggy Bank"

I have just received some pictures from Piggy bank, and once I have a minute I will post up the car related ones. (plenty of royce LOL)

Have replied to your email.

mal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Philip Young View Post
          With a trip from Holland in a Maestro Van you demonstrate to all the rest that the excuse "its too far to travel" is rubbish
          That's a bit broad-brush.
          Everyone's circumstances are different.

Remember to never judge a man til you've walked a mile in his shoes.
          If you then still think he's a w@nker, well at least you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
          Last edited by G51 NAV; 14th March 2012, 19:09.
          Regards
          John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
          MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

• For us it was not an issue of distance but just the opportunity to see this unique Maestro and to meet and speak to the people who made this ambitious project to a great success.
            Fantastic to discuss with Tony Fowkes and to learn from his tremendous skill and experience. To hear the stories from Gill and Jane and to get their autograph as cherry on the pudding were other unforgettable experiences.
            It all made my friend and me thinking back of the sixties when we together cycled to Grand Hotel Huis Ter Duin in Noordwijk (NL) for the start and finish of the Tulip Ralley and where we could see the BMC Works Mini Cooper S'es and meet the famous drivers and the team.
            We felt this as an once in a lifetime possibility, in particular because the car came in untouched, straight from the Rally. Thank you Philip.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Glad it was a great meeting.
              Looking forward to seeing the photos.
              I was one of the ones for which it was too far to travel for my particular circumstances.
              Maybe I'll get a chance to see it again another time.
              Though probably not at this year's MGSD for the same reason.
              Regards
              John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
              MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

• This car will be on display on our stand at this event if anyone would like to see it (and possibly meet the crew)
                http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18175

Comment

• I'm surprised Philip is letting it out in the fresh air.
                  Especially as he will no doubt be resting after his record breaking Capetown to London run.

Comment

• Good to see both Maestros at RaceRetro on Sunday, along with 3 MG Metro 6R4s.

Patrick

Comment

Working...
                    X