A day out in the Lake District

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A day out in the Lake District

Myself, Rich Smith, and ChrisM had a day out in the Lake District today to see the sights and have a look around for places to visit on this years M&MOC Great North Run.

Despite it being a relatively cloudy day, the rain disappeared the further north we went. The dull day did nothing to spoil the fantastic views. We started by travelling north from Windermere on the A592. This was a very scenic route and gives some excellent views over Ullswater. We landed in Keswick for a nice pub lunch and a stroll around town. I can’t imagine how busy it must get in the height of summer – it wasn’t particularly quiet today! We also had a quick visit to the Cars of the Stars museum. For a relatively small place, it has some nice exhibits, such as Mr Bean’s Mini, FAB1, K.I.T.T, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the A-team van! Marvellous stuff!

The B5289 south out of Keswick is an excellent, if long drive. It includes the Honister Pass which is very bleak – the sheep seem to like it though. Stopping at the bottom of the pass in the valley was a bit of an eye-opener. There is a small stream next to the road and on both sides it quickly rises up to vertical cliff faces on a scale quite hard to comprehend.

Heading west eventually brings you to Egremont. This area near the coast is a bit eerie – being pretty much the land that time forgot. Things didn’t improve much once we got to Sellafield and Drigg (BNFL’s personal landfill site!) Don’t go for a swim here! :laugh:

The scenery picked up a bit more near Ravenglass, the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway runs into the hills from here. Not long after you get the Hardknott Pass – a serious test for your car! Thankfully, ‘TFC has just received a new radiator and new brake disks and shoes! The climb is seriously hard going. You will be pushed to get up the Pass in anything other than first gear. The bends are very sharp and passing places limited. Once your actually get up to the top – going down the other side is just as much fun, setting your brakes alight on more sharp bends and perilous angles of descent.

Coming down off the hills, you end up in Ambleside and Windermere next to Lake Windermere – both are very picturesque places. There ended a thoroughly enjoyable day. My Monty performed admirably for what was a seriously hard slog in places.

The area should make for the best M&MOC Great North Run so far! The Lakes, if you have not been before, is one of the most scenic areas of the country and well worth the drive. Look forward to it later this year…
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Austin-Rover; 30th March 2005, 21:21.

Some more pictures...

Attached Files

Comment

Hmm someones car now needs a wash!
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Here is one of my own pictures for a couple of years ago when me and bev visited the lakes.

The photo was taken from a large bolder in the middle of the stream in the bottom of the valley. eaither side of here are almost sheer cliffs. once we got to the bottom were come up along side one of the more remote lakes, where we were treated to what seemed a personal fly past by the RAF .

Anyway it will make an excerlent GNR 2005 cant wait.
        Attached Files

Comment

Lets hope you got the important bits sorted, a campsite that doesn't mind us being noisy, and a decent pub
          Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

That was a fantastic trip! I can't wait for the Sh..Great North Run weekend :toothy:

I was impressed at the way TFC performed today after his service, too!

Great pics Rich, I eagerly await the rest of them!

Comment

Great North Run (GNR) recce

It was a good day out, luckily I managed to avoid driving :laugh: .

Another highlight was running in formation with a very nice F-reg Austin 1800 Mk I in damask red for about 15 miles up the M6, exchanging waves as we peeled off the motorway for Kendal. We overtook them at an indicated illegal on TFC's speedo, then slowed a bit and they came haring past. We then settled down to the same sort of speeds as before - it's good to see old cars driven in anger, I reckon . We will have to see if we can find them at BMC/BL Day :laugh: . We have some pics of the car, I believe.

I have a few ideas for campsites and hotels, but as for a pub for lunch on the GNR I will sort that when I am next there (the day before probably). It will also be busy as it is a summer weekend. The 'Cars of the Stars' museum in Keswick was ok, but parking wasn't easy and will be nightmarish when we are there next.

The main thing that struck me, especially in the Honister Pass (the photo with TFC looking tiny from side on) was the sheer scale of the location - it blew us away!

The GNR will be a good 'un this year, looks like a circuit of about 100 miles.
              Rich Smith

"Joe", aka "The Ryton Express", aka E838 VJO. Peugeot 309SR main car
              "Kryten", aka A560 SCW. Left hand drive MG Maestro 1600 'R' second in command
              "Fleagle", aka F929 NNA. Montego 1.6L saloon stored, status "doubts set in"
              "Cracow", aka CCW 925Y Maestro Vanden Plas - the oldest known to the Club stored, status "will fight another day - eventually"

You can email me here

Comment

Originally posted by e692wtt
                We overtook them at an indicated illegal on TFC's speedo, then slowed a bit and they came haring past. We then settled down to the same sort of speeds as before - it's good to see old cars driven in anger, I reckon .
                Well, I don't know which speed you where driving then, but from my experience a speed of 80-85mph is a 'natural' cruising speed for the 1800... Don't under-estimate the abilities of these (now) old cars, e.g. one of my Maxis was happy to deliver an average of 88mph on a 130mile trip, that's not flat out. Naturally a 1.3 Maestro with 5speed box should deliver the same and more with ease.

Your pictures confirm that one of my next hols will be spend in Lancashire (where I have been often in my child days) and Lake District. And I must say that father's Austin 1800 S seems the natural choice to go there thanks to the strong engine.

But this year we'll tackle Land's End using a VP Princess 1300 automatic, which will hopefully do itself proud along the 2000-2500 miles of driving I expect

Somehow the Maestro is still sort of 'new' and 'modern' to me...

Regards,

Alexander
                http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index....berbouckef.htm

Comment

I'm used to seeing 'old'* cars being drive gently down the motorway on the way to shows at speeds around 60mph, so seeing this 1800 going a lot faster made a refreshing change.

Funny you mention that 1800s have a natural cruising speed of 80 to 85mph, that's about the same speed we were doing (an indicated 90mph most of the time, that's about 83mph on my GPS).

Rich's Montego 1300 'TFC' (the car we were in, B-reg from 1985) is twenty this year, so is roughly half the age of that 1800. But we were saying, as we left the motorway and the 1800 behind, that in fact the 1800 is probably a more advanced motor car than our Montego due to its hydrolastic suspension and features like the 'night dipping' rear lights for example. Your 1800S would certainly be amongst the best cars for driving over the passes we tackled yesterday due to its handling and (as you say) strong engine.

An early 1800 has always been on my wish list - it moved to the top yesterday!

*how does one define 'old'? I still think of L-reg cars from 1994 as new, but think my E-reg monty is 'old' (and my Y-reg maestro Vanden Plas is 'definitely old' :laugh: ) - for me, the early 1990s is the 'cut off' I think, perhaps when cars stopped rusting seriously like they used to, and petrol cars were fitted with catalytic converters?
                  Rich Smith

"Joe", aka "The Ryton Express", aka E838 VJO. Peugeot 309SR main car
                  "Kryten", aka A560 SCW. Left hand drive MG Maestro 1600 'R' second in command
                  "Fleagle", aka F929 NNA. Montego 1.6L saloon stored, status "doubts set in"
                  "Cracow", aka CCW 925Y Maestro Vanden Plas - the oldest known to the Club stored, status "will fight another day - eventually"

You can email me here

Comment

I'm used to seeing 'old'* cars being drive gently down the motorway on the way to shows at speeds around 60mph, so seeing this 1800 going a lot faster made a refreshing change.
                    I know, it always causes some attention when people see a Maxi, 1800 or even a 1300 driven at these speeds or faster. I vividly remember last year after the meet at Longbridge, when I drove our VP 1300 down to Devon at a relaxed 80mph (this one does 100+ if you want) and was overtaken by a large late '20s compressor Bentley

an indicated 90mph most of the time, that's about 83mph on my GPS.
                    Just like my Maestro since I put the speedo from a 1.6 into it...

Your 1800S would certainly be amongst the best cars for driving over the passes we tackled yesterday due to its handling and (as you say) strong engine.
                    Well, I did cross Yorkshire dales and Peak Distrikt with said 1800 S 3 years ago. Great tour! (see pic). Last year the Rover 216 GTi we took for to the BL-day in addition to the 1800 felt really slow and gutless at the typical day-to-day driving rpm-range.

An early 1800 has always been on my wish list - it moved to the top yesterday!
                    Try an S! This is IMHO the optimal 1800. Not as smooth as the standard 1800 with it's single carb, but the strong engine really transforms the car and matches the rugged character of the concept. And the stronger engine is a bonus on todays roads - try to join the M1 towards Cambridge in heavy sunday evening traffic from the old service area without slip road

Regards,

Alexander
                    Attached Files
                    http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index....berbouckef.htm

Comment

when is it

Hi all when is the run and will there be any maestro turbos there thanks

Comment

There will if you go, Ben
                        Regards
                        John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                        MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

*how does one define 'old'? I still think of L-reg cars from 1994 as new, but think my E-reg monty is 'old' - for me, the early 1990s is the 'cut off' I think, perhaps when cars stopped rusting seriously like they used to, and petrol cars were fitted with catalytic converters?
                          I think you're onto something there Rich. I'd like to add one more clause to that definition: if it has a carb then it's old!
                          You can contact me by clicking here.
                          Owner of E760 DRY - Mk. 2 Shantung Gold Maestro Vanden Plas 2.0 EFi

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. - Sir Peter Ustinov.

Comment

Old cars

Faggot is the oldest car currently on my street.* Does this mean anything?

*It runs better than most! :laugh:
                            Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
                            VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
                            J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

Originally posted by ben 58/505
                              Hi all when is the run and will there be any maestro turbos there thanks
                              Hi Ben. I think the GNR itself will be on the weekend before the August Bank Holiday

Comment

Working...
                              X