No announcement yet.

Re: Forum to become members only.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think deleting posts is a drastic way forward.

You know; I had some concerns about this too - but in the end you find it difficult to argue against it with falling membership and increasing costs.

Maybe the way forward could be for you guys that feel so strongly about it to join up at this reduced rate of £12.00 - (which is crazy to think over half sometimes a third of what some clubs charge) and get involved - turn up at the next AGM - and fight your corner there - from inside the club as a member.

This club belongs to its members, and it goes forward only with the backing of a majority of members - don't like it - then join up and change it!

Andy
    CURRENT FLEET:
    1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
    1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
    1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
    2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
    1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

Originally posted by davidashdown View Post
      More incentives to join is what is needed not this!
      We're working on those

A full and varied events calendar for 2015
      A much improved spares service
      Colour Monstro

There are more, and we are working as fast as we can.

Comment

I would echo Andy's reply.

I wanted things to change within the club, so I got off my backside and got involved. I joined the committee last month's AGM.

I knew it wouldn't be easy (I've served on my committees for various organisations), but I accept that and do what I believe is the best thing for the club. Currently it is hugely time consuming, but I know it will be very rewarding. I'm passionate about these cars, preserving and promoting them, and firmly believe that being a part M&MOC is the best way to achieve that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanya View Post
          I would echo Andy's reply.

I wanted things to change within the club, so I got off my backside and got involved. I joined the committee last month's AGM.

I knew it wouldn't be easy (I've served on my committees for various organisations), but I accept that and do what I believe is the best thing for the club. Currently it is hugely time consuming, but I know it will be very rewarding. I'm passionate about these cars, preserving and promoting them, and firmly believe that being a part M&MOC is the best way to achieve that.

Except it wasn't decided at an AGM it was a committee decision taken without asking the majority of the active membership, so arguing the case would have been pointless.

Also you cite increasing costs but they are very small. I know I've started clubs and seen the accounts, the overheads are minimal.

I would be very interested to see the membership stats following this change as I for one will no longer be a member.

Could you please also advise what the procedure is for removing my content.
          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I've been part of this community for 10 years, and in that time it has been, without doubt, the best car-related resource I've been involved with. Whilst I applaud the motives, I think this particular decision is a real backwards step and a great shame. Having been on the committee previously I understand these decisions are not taken lightly, but I think more consultation should have taken place.

In this day and age it is not good enough to expect members to turn up at an inconvenient location to discuss things at an out of date procedural meeting - instead this very forum is exactly the right, err, forum, for such discussions! We have had a 'Members Only' sub-forum for quite a while, and I think much more could have been done to utilise this, whilst still opening certain areas of the forum to the public, rather than go to a completely closed shop.

I couldn't agree more with RichardH about the Allegro Club and how off-putting a closed forum is. I joined this forum before I owned a Maestro, and without it I probably wouldn't have bought one and joined the club - I'm sure if things had been different I would've bought an AllAggro too, but there you go, maybe I should thank them

As I have now been Maestro/Montego-less for a couple of years, I do not get as much out of the club side of things as I used to - and as such I have been debating about whether or not to renew my membership when it expires in the new year. I think I have now made up my mind (and I wonder whether other 'marginal' members will feel the same, whichever side of the ownership fence they are on). I will be very sad to lose access to the forums, and lose the last connection I have with these vehicles and the great many friends I have met through these pages.

I wish the club well with the future whatever happens, but sincerely hope that the situation is re-evaluated sooner rather than later.

Cheers,
            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisM View Post
              <snip>I think this particular decision is a real backwards step and a great shame. Having been on the committee previously I understand these decisions are not taken lightly, but I think more consultation should have taken place.
              <snip>
              We have had a 'Members Only' sub-forum for quite a while, and I think much more could have been done to utilise this, whilst still opening certain areas of the forum to the public, rather than go to a completely closed shop.
              <snip>
              Agreed, I have to ask who was present at the committee meeting that unanimously voted this in. I want to know who has voted on this decision. The minutes are not in the appropriate section of the forum.

The members only forum was a reasonably happy halfway house I thought and works well on several other forums I use. It did need to be expanded upon hugely but it should be a useful resource that people are willing to pay to access. It simply needed more work. That way you got a resounce that people were paying for (and also adding too). And the more general forums attracted people in, caught their interest and hooked them into signing up for membership.

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
                Agreed, I have to ask who was present at the committee meeting that unanimously voted this in. I want to know who has voted on this decision. The minutes are not in the appropriate section of the forum.

The members only forum was a reasonably happy halfway house I thought and works well on several other forums I use. It did need to be expanded upon hugely but it should be a useful resource that people are willing to pay to access. It simply needed more work. That way you got a resounce that people were paying for (and also adding too). And the more general forums attracted people in, caught their interest and hooked them into signing up for membership.
                The meeting was only last Sunday, and I know that the secretary is currently typing the minutes up. Hopefully they will be available shortly.

However, as I was at the meeting, I can confirm attendees

Simon Heap (Chair)
                Linda Heap
                Steve Osgood
                Oli South
                Andy Whitta
                Rich Gelder
                John Corbett
                Tanya Field

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Whilst I am a member, I do not agree with closing the forum to non members.
                    There are quite a few people on here who are not members but are absolute fonts of knowledge when people have trouble with their vehicles. Its been mentioned in a previous post that some people only use the forum to get their cars through an MOT, well isn't it the duty of the club to ensure that as many MMs as possible remain and are not scrapped prematurely? Also if a non enthusiast comes on the forum for help he or she is more likely to offer the car on here rather than scrap it.
                    Finally surely this place is a shop window for the joys of MM ownership

I think the committee should reassess this issue and if possible but it to a vote of members as I think the club will collapse

Comment

I suggest an EGM to be called (held via the internet)to discuss this matter. Are there 10 members who are willing to petition for this? If so add your names below:

Beaker
                      Last edited by Beaker; 2nd December 2014, 18:10.
                      Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Beaker View Post
                        I suggest an EGM to be called (held via the internet)to discuss this matter. Are there 10 members who are willing to petition for this? If so add your names below:

Beaker
                        E_T_V
                        Name added

Comment

Originally posted by Tanya View Post
                          The Spares Service currently cannot really be described as one, more of a Spares Non Service. This is not the fault of the person who has run the spares for years, as she asked to be relieved of this at least a couple of years ago - she gave more than fair notice. This has been a failing of the committee overall, and is now being addressed. We have a new person on spares who I'm sure will post up an introduction here sooner or later. We now have a plan to move the spares early in the New Year. The Spares Service will be suspended while the re-allocation happens, but the membership will be kept fully informed.

The plan is in fully inform and involve the membership with the spares reallocation, once a firm date has been set. They will be welcome to come and help if they can/would like to, and look through the spares at the same time. More details to follow.
                          Sorry for the off-topic post, but I take issue with the phrase "Spares Non Service"! I freely admit that I don't have anywhere near as much free time as when I took on the post 15+ years ago and haven't provided as good a service in recent years as the membership deserves, I haven't entirely disappeared off the face of the earth, can speak for myself, and do still try to provide what service I can when I can. In the meantime until the handover happens, please do continue using the contact form on the website (email is by far the easiest method of contact rather than being put "on the spot" on the phone when I may not have time to research parts).

Carry on...
                          A closed mouth gathers no foot

Maestro Vanden Plas
                          Maestro Camper Van
                          Maestro 1.3L
                          Fiat 500 Sport 1.3JTD

Comment

So 8 people have decided the way forward and it is not open for any further discussion? Doesn't sound like a club I want to join!
                            I realise some decisions have to be made but I would have thought something as big as this would have had a consultancy period.
                            As a non member I guess my opinion is irrelevant however you'd think the members that are paying would be consulted before sealing the clubs fate.

Comment

Originally posted by Maria View Post
                              Sorry for the off-topic post, but I take issue with the phrase "Spares Non Service"! I freely admit that I don't have anywhere near as much free time as when I took on the post 15+ years ago and haven't provided as good a service in recent years as the membership deserves, I haven't entirely disappeared off the face of the earth, can speak for myself, and do still try to provide what service I can when I can. In the meantime until the handover happens, please do continue using the contact form on the website (email is by far the easiest method of contact rather than being put "on the spot" on the phone when I may not have time to research parts).

Carry on...
                              Maria - I am sorry and no offence was meant. I was answering questions about the spares service, as I am quite offended asked. It is a complaint from the membership, and that is absolutely not your fault, as I hope that I made clear.

However, despite your very best efforts, which are hugely appreciated, the current situation is not working. Hence the complaints. No reflection on you or what you do.

I think you've explained to the membership the best way to contact you at the moment.

Comment

Just thinking out loud here...

Risky move for the only forum left dedicated to these cars. Good on paper but not in reality.

This is just going to create a barrier for potential new forum users as said previously.

One other thing I think of is the future for mmm's. If people cannot access a forum without paying to see what these underrated cars are really like and what people do with them, how will we get new fans of these cars? This will only help towards making the only people interested in these cars in the future, the people who have always been interested in them and will prevent the arrival of new fans after the the point where the forum goes private. What potential newbie to mmm's will pay to join? Goes back to the "try before you buy" scenario. It will die out with the cars as time goes on if not immediately.

I dont think these cars are popular enough to have a private forum for. Just look at the amount of posts per day..

The members section is a good idea as it encourages people to join and get more involved but doesnt force them or alienate. This is as far as it should ever go in my opinion.

Im also on the mk1 golf owners club forum (not payed and not forced) They set up a donation system on the forum to help with the income to run the club/forum which seems to work really well. I have no idea how much it costs to run these things so Im just putting it out there as a suggestion. Is this an idea we can use on this forum? Just a thought

Also, id like to add that I appreciate all the work behind the scenes carried out in peoples own time to make these clubs and forums happen but sometimes the wrong decisions are made and I think this is one.

Ross
                                Last edited by g200mss #146; 2nd December 2014, 18:32.

Comment

Working...
                                X