This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forum

ok i have been using this new forum for a while now,but i dont have any love for it i find it hard to use/navigate and slow to load is it just me?
    or was the old forum not that bad.
    Tony Hague

A clear enthusiast - or a nutter?

I'm with you on this Tony I've been trying to but just can't take to it yet. Not sure about the layout and it's definitely slower for me as well

Maestro turbo No. 108

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce Ti (daily driver)(Vesuvio grey)
    Mazda MX5 RF LE (Soul Red)
    Honda CBR 600 FW (weekend toy)

Instagram & Facebook - mgmaestroturbo108

Comment

I am the same it is shocking. Points for me:
      1. Lots of server errors
      2. Slow
      3. Not intuitive
      4. Private message functioning confusing if it works which it does not at times.
      5. Template awful - hard to read and lots of wasted space.
      Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

I did like the business like appearance of the old one.
        CURRENT FLEET:
        1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
        1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
        1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
        2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
        1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

I preferred the old site too, so much easier and clearer.

Comment

Originally posted by The Express Valeter View Post
            I preferred the old site too, so much easier and clearer.
            I agree , the old site was far better , I don`t spend much time on here now .

Comment

yes ive not conviced either i liked the other pages

Comment

I find it very slow and I really struggle to find my way around it.
                The old one was fine to me

Comment

I have given it a few weeks now but I have to agree with Russ.

In addition, I find the "private messaging" function particularly confusing with many PM's just disappearing!

Comment

The PM system doesn't work properly at all. I find you can't start another line, it just puts strange symbols in the text and when the recipient gets the PM the text is all over the place.

Comment

Can you give me more info on the PM system issues? Perhaps send me a screen print of what is happening and on which browser you're using? I can then raise it with vBulletin.

Can you let me know of any server errors you received and what you were doing at the time?

Comment

Can we not just downgrade the forum again? There was a reason why all major forum stuck at version 3 of vbulletin. It just appears not to be fit for purpose.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/vbu...letin.1855705/
                        Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

I disagree. Version 3 was a massively outdated version of the software and no longer updated.

The biggest issue is security, and using a 12+ year old piece of software is never going to give you peace of mind - indeed a vulnerability was found on this very site using the old version.

Comment

Your link is also over 2 years old at which point I would have agreed that an update to v5 would not have been sensible.

I would, however, have still suggested a move away from v3 to v4.

v5 has now been a public stable release for 3 years, so perfectly viable.

Comment

Originally posted by Beaker View Post
                              Can we not just downgrade the forum again? There was a reason why all major forum stuck at version 3 of vbulletin. It just appears not to be fit for purpose.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/vbu...letin.1855705/
                              One of the main reasons we, as the committee, wanted to upgrade the club's web pages was to integrate the membership database. With the old version, members who had joined the forum, had to be manually updated with the corresponding details - a time consuming task when I was aware of the link! Carrying out this integration was not possible with V3 so we had to look to upgrade to the current version for this feature. It is still not a straightforward task, but we are moving in that direction.

Also, the old version was not capable of displaying the forum pages correctly if it was viewed on a tablet or smartphone, something the current version has built in. In this respect we are trying to keep abreast of how users today maybe viewing our web pages and to show that we are as up to date as possible.

Finally as Jean indicated, the criticisms of V4 in your link have not been updated in over 2 years and it even reported that V5 had not been tested (so how can the reviewer criticise it?) and had little take up (probably due to it being fairly new at the time of publication). A lot can happen in that time in the world of IT in that time - some of it good, some of it debatable - coupled with the old adage of not being able to please all the people all of the time.
                              Membership Secretary
                              Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
                              2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
                              1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Working...
                              X