Body Side Mouldings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Side Mouldings

With the shell fully resprayed I need to reattach the body side mouldings to the doors and front wings. I was advised to use 3M Badge Tape, but can't find anything like that as a specific from 3M. Has anyone else been through this process, and what product did you use - and more importantly did it work. I looked at one product (not from 3M) that appeared to be what I needed, until I found reviewers saying it failed in hot/sunny conditions. That may be (sort of) ok if it was a number plate, but side mouldings on a Maestro/Montego would be catastrophic! Any advide on this would be appreciated.
    Membership Secretary
    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Acrylic-...58KRFVT7W0C3Z1 I think that this is what you are after, best applied warm, so a hair dryer may be useful at this time of year....

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Acrylic-...58KRFVT7W0C3Z1 I think that this is what you are after, best applied warm, so a hair dryer may be useful at this time of year....
      Thanks for the pointer. As I need the temperature to warm up, so that I can work outside, just to hang the doors I hope that it will also be good enough for fitting the mouldings as well!
      Membership Secretary

Comment

It will certainly help, I worked at a garage for a few years & the bloke that did the bodywork always warmed the tape, the moulding and the car body up before he stuck it together, I don't think any of it ever came off, he just used the trim tape that Bowmans supplied, but they no longer exist, so I can't get to know what it was! 3m is usually good stuff though. I think summer falls on a saturday this year

Comment

Just thought I'd update everyone, in case they find themselves in a similar situation. While things appear OK with the link that Doctor Diesel provided, I found out that the product (4218P) is not known by 3M in the UK. The local 3M automotive sector sales contact indicated that their product 80322 is the one that is normally specified by manufacturers. It is 19mm wide and on a 20m roll, so should have been absolutely ideal.

However, I found out after having 2 rolls placed on back order with my local 3M outlet, that they are over £70 a roll! Nearly fell off my chair at that price!!

Immediately cancelled the back order and started searching for an alternative. I am now getting 3M product 80319. It is the same construction as the 80322, but its only 9mm wide. It should still be more than adequate, with two strips per moulding, and is about £23 a roll. Still a chunk of money, but in my view better that the mouldings actually stick to the car through all weathers and conditions, than using something cheaper that gives up the ghost in hot sun or the like!
          Membership Secretary

Comment

70 quid a roll wonder if anyone ever buys it at that price...the tape on Amazon is not exactly cheap either, not much different per square mm when you add it up...but, as you say, the tape that works is always going to be cheaper in the end than the one that doesn't..

Comment

I just used trim tape from my local motorfactor. Under a tenner a roll and nothing has fallen off yet. It isn't quite as strong as the original stuff but that is a good thing - after you've tried to remove the foam to re-use trims you'll understand!
              www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
              www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
              www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

You should get the wider stuff from a local motor factor
                Sure & steadfast.
                BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
                1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
                1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

I need the d/sided tape BUT I need the rubbing strips as well. where can I get them

Comment

Working...
                  X