Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayonnaise in oil separator and filler/breather tube & cap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayonnaise in oil separator and filler/breather tube & cap.

Driving out this afternoon and after getting about 1/2 mile from my garage heard a loud whine, I pulled over, it stopped, decided to return to garage, didn't hear anything anymore. Got back to garage looked under the bonnet nothing lose, fallen off or snapped but I did see mayonnaise on the top of the oil separator, the tube linking it to the oil filler/breather tube had come loose (maybe blown off?). Pulled the tube off and mayo in that too as was the breather/filler cap. This is new, wasn't there 9 days ago (last time I used car). Blown head gasket ? Has been weeping oil but that in itself wasn't a worry, I know they leak around that oil feeder channel. Can't see an obvious water leaks on out side of engine. Any ideas before we have to strip the engine down ? I'll post some photos tomorrow.

This time of year its common to have that. If you suspect headgasket failure, have you also checked the dipstick and expansion tank?
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
      This time of year its common to have that. If you suspect headgasket failure, have you also checked the dipstick and expansion tank?
      I checked the dipstick before driving off, nothing on it, will look again tomorrow along with expansion tank, thing is this noise I heard ?

Comment

With the whine, you may have picked up something on the road if it's stopped
        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
        2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
          With the whine, you may have picked up something on the road if it's stopped
          With a Maestro you to become paranoid about any noises or rattles

Comment

Been reading as much as I can about possible causes the major one for blowing off filler cap is worn rings. We did a compression test and that came out well. Plot thickens (pardon pun)

Comment

Cleaned off mayo where I could, checked oil filler cap, some mayo in it but I could blow through easily enough. Took the car for a 40km drive, stopped a couple of times to check. Hose from oil separator stayed on and seemed to be less mayo in the hoses and filler cap. Guess I'll need to clean through as many breather hoses as I can, not sure what I can do about cleaning separator, filler cap easy enough (besides I have a spare). Hopefully is was down to limited use and driving in cold/damp weather. To be continued................

Comment

Do your breathers run on the back of the engine or on the front? If on the front do they still have their thermal lagging on them?
                www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Not looking too good , looks like I lost a tiny bit of water from header tank, will top up and keep an eye on level.

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
                    Do your breathers run on the back of the engine or on the front? If on the front do they still have their thermal lagging on them?
                    They run at the front and still have their thermal lagging, have to say they do look a bit soaked in oil and/or hydraulic fluid.

Comment

Hi Soul Charger and fellow forum members,
                      I'm having similar issues with my Montego 1.6L auto and i suspect the root cause is many years of lack of use before i bought the car but once cleaned up will not return, at least as bad.
                      Did you manage to clean the oil separator in the end and if so how. What is the filling in the separator made of? I thought a good swill out with petrol? The pipe from the oil separator to the "T" piece on mine was clogged with emulsion and when i removed it from the separator itself it left a nice dollop on the drive. The top 1" of the separator was also full of same which i managed to remove with a vacuum device.
                      Can't seem to find a new separator unless someone on here knows of one for sale.

Finally is this problem just a cosmetic thing or could it affect the running of the engine in any way. It takes a while (5 mins) after starting from cold and keeping the revs up before the engine is warmed through and idles well enough to drop it into drive without it stalling. Shows 2.69% CO2 at the MOT and so within the 3.5% allowed. The "book" shows 2.5% + or - 1%. Have other solutions to this starting issue in the pipeline but wanted to rule the emulsion out as an issue first. Once warmed up the car runs great with no starting issues from hot and idles well in drive whilst in traffic. All lagging in place along with the later air bleed modification from the oil filler tube to air cleaner. Thanks in advance for any help

1993 Rover Montego estate 2.0 LXi

1987 Austin Montego 1.6L Auto + pas
                      1990 Rover Montego estate 1.6LX Auto
                      1993 Rover Montego 2.0 SLXi Auto

Comment

Originally posted by zephyr View Post
                        Hi Soul Charger and fellow forum members,
                        I'm having similar issues with my Montego 1.6L auto and i suspect the root cause is many years of lack of use before i bought the car but once cleaned up will not return, at least as bad.
                        Did you manage to clean the oil separator in the end and if so how. What is the filling in the separator made of? I thought a good swill out with petrol? The pipe from the oil separator to the "T" piece on mine was clogged with emulsion and when i removed it from the separator itself it left a nice dollop on the drive. The top 1" of the separator was also full of same which i managed to remove with a vacuum device.
                        Can't seem to find a new separator unless someone on here knows of one for sale.

Finally is this problem just a cosmetic thing or could it affect the running of the engine in any way. It takes a while (5 mins) after starting from cold and keeping the revs up before the engine is warmed through and idles well enough to drop it into drive without it stalling. Shows 2.69% CO2 at the MOT and so within the 3.5% allowed. The "book" shows 2.5% + or - 1%. Have other solutions to this starting issue in the pipeline but wanted to rule the emulsion out as an issue first. Once warmed up the car runs great with no starting issues from hot and idles well in drive whilst in traffic. All lagging in place along with the later air bleed modification from the oil filler tube to air cleaner. Thanks in advance for any help
                        Hi there, at first I thought it was a leaking headgasket but it turned out to be 6 years standing still and the temperature difference of the metal filler pipe and engine block. I did 2 things, first cleaned as best I could inside the filler pipe, did this with a length of stiff wire and a rag then took all the breather tubes off and cleaned all through them, I guess I got about 90% out. As the weather improved and I started driving out with it, after one 300 kilometer drive it had all gone and has not returned.I do not have later oil filler to air filter modification, wonder if I need it ? So all Mayo is gone went for a 180km drive Thursday and petrol consumption was 6.22 liters per 100km so I'm please with that. Good luck with yours.

Comment

Thanks for your considered reply. Others have indicated the oil separator contains nothing more sinister than a wire gauze so should be easy to clean out. Now on the list! New carb now fitted which has removed the poor starting from cold i.e i can drive away straight away after starting but has introduced a rich CO reading so that added to the list as well. As with your car decent runs out should keep the mayo at bay.

1993 Rover Montego estate 2.0 LXi

1987 Austin Montego 1.6L Auto + pas
                          1990 Rover Montego estate 1.6LX Auto
                          1993 Rover Montego 2.0 SLXi Auto

Comment

Working...
                          X