Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lower ball joint

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lower ball joint

    The lower nearside ball joint requires replacing on my L reg 1.3 Clubman, I have a couple of spares, but am confused by ones for sale on Ebay, shown either left hand, or right hand side, the ones I have seem to be symetrical and should fit both sides, could someone enligten me please.

  • #2
    hello, they are definately side specific.

    Comment


    • #3
      hello i thought it was only the early models that used
      different ball joints for each side.
      and was the same type on both sides on later models

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't think they ever changed the basic suspension design.

        Comment


        • #5
          It depends on where go to buy them from.
          I have sets that are the same each side and others that are side specific as the rivit holes are slightly off centre.
          All claim to be original
          1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
          1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser finished
          1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
          2004 Rover 75 Conny auto
          2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

          Comment


          • #6
            They changed the design early on in the life (to alter the camber possibly). So very early ones are different to the later (majority) of cars.
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

            Comment


            • #7
              up to VIN 242414, use GSJ225 on both sides.
              After 242414, use GSJ224 on RH and GSJ223 on LH side
              midget1380@btinternet.com

              Comment


              • #8
                I have a pair of new ones if anyone needs them. I inadvertantly bought 2 sets & used neither lol.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Many thanks for all the replies, now I can see why it is so confusing,
                  I think I will remove the faulty one and see if the spares I have will fit,
                  Regards,
                  Mike.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by evansm View Post
                    Many thanks for all the replies, now I can see why it is so confusing,
                    I think I will remove the faulty one and see if the spares I have will fit,
                    Regards,
                    Mike.
                    can you not read your VIN number then?
                    confusing? what could be simpler?
                    midget1380@btinternet.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I think the change point was 1987. D reg.
                      M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                      Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Either way, have fun grinding and drilling them out.
                        I found it easier to take the whole wishbone off so I could get some ooomph on both sides but you can do it without
                        Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 10th October 2013, 11:54.
                        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser finished
                        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                        2004 Rover 75 Conny auto
                        2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Can you fit later ball joints to an early car? Any difference in the layout of the boltholes? And do the later cars drive any differently to the early ones as a result?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mgdavid View Post
                            can you not read your VIN number then?
                            confusing? what could be simpler?
                            I am quite capable of reading my VIN number, however none of the spares I have, tie in with part numbers you have indicated.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Benb12 View Post
                              Can you fit later ball joints to an early car? Any difference in the layout of the boltholes? And do the later cars drive any differently to the early ones as a result?
                              As long a you do both sides I would think it doesn't matter, but you may want to check the tracking after.
                              1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                              1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser finished
                              1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                              2004 Rover 75 Conny auto
                              2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X