Rear shock absorber quandry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear shock absorber quandry

When I purchased #436, I was aware that it was running lowered suspension. Looking at it now, I find that the rear shockers are Monroe Original items fitted just with lowered springs - a potential MOT failure.

The quandry is do I revert everything back to standard ride height, meaning replacing the front struts and all four springs or is there a supplier of suitable rear shocks that have the correct spring platform height or piston length for the lowered springs and thereby keep most of what I've got.
    Membership Secretary
    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Why would the lowering springs using the original shocks fail the MOT. They shouldn't if it is done right.
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Should be fine my Monty turbo was running standard shockers and 2 inch moto build spring 's when I got it and it was fine for two years, but I then fitted standard spring's to make it more comfortable and because I got fed up replacing or repairing the sump every couple of months

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
        Why would the lowering springs using the original shocks fail the MOT. They shouldn't if it is done right.
        Originally posted by hairyone View Post
        Should be fine my Monty turbo was running standard shockers and 2 inch moto build spring 's when I got it and it was fine for two years, but I then fitted standard spring's to make it more comfortable and because I got fed up replacing or repairing the sump every couple of months
        With my rear dampers fully extended, the springs are loose between the top and bottom seats. This is the potential fail point as the MOT test on coil springs will check for "following jacking, the spring ends do not locate correctly when the vehicle is lowered into the normal running position without assistance". I suppose it will depend on the rigorousness of the tester wether it is allowed or not.
        Membership Secretary

Comment

If it rides ok you could drill some small holes in the cap and platform and put cable ties round the spring. Motobuild used to recommend this with the two inch lowered springs

Comment

Originally posted by Sussex Pete View Post
            With my rear dampers fully extended, the springs are loose between the top and bottom seats. This is the potential fail point as the MOT test on coil springs will check for "following jacking, the spring ends do not locate correctly when the vehicle is lowered into the normal running position without assistance". I suppose it will depend on the rigorousness of the tester wether it is allowed or not.
            So long as they do not (or cannot) fall out of the cups accidentally then they'll be perfectly fine.

If in doubt drill a hole in the spring pan and use a stout cable tie on each spring end to stop them coming out. This is perfectly MOT acceptable.
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Pete,

Just for information, finding original shocks / struts will be very difficult if not impossible, many people advertise struts as Turbo but in reality they are efi ones.

I forget the measurements of the turbo ones but I'm sure someone will be along soon to confirm!

C

Comment

Maestro Turbos do look much better lowered, although given the choice the best compromise is 1 to 1.5 inches.
                Cornering is definitely improved with 2 inch though!
                Ian
                Ian Drew
                MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                MG ZT V8
                Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Based on the comments above, I spoke with the tester at my local MOT testing station. His comment was that it is acceptable for the test to wire the springs to the seat. He suggested that baling wire was probably the best solution, with a couple of turns around the spring and to only do it to the top seat. So thats what I'll be doing when the suspension goes back in.
                  Membership Secretary

Comment

Working...
                  X