Radiator Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator Question

So I bought a radiator off Ebay, misdescribed as a TD rad.
    It is 320mm high and 720mm wide (same as TD) but the core is only 18mm thick rather than the 30mm that appears to be the requirement for the TD radiator.
    Any pointers as to which model this rad is for?
    I've had 'Google' and no joy yet.
    The intention is to sell this one and put the profit toward the correct one, if anyone is in need.....

Might be for a 1.6, but fixing hole centres would be different, according to my parts list petrol & diesel 2.0 are the same radiator...which doesn't help much...Is there a part number on it?
    Last edited by Doctordiesel77; 8th December 2016, 22:15.

Comment

I've got a 1.6 radiator, but its only 590 wide. Other dimensions match. So, not sure which yours is, at 720 wide.
      Membership Secretary
      Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
      2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
      1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Thank you for your comments everyone.

Checked the measurements -
        Full width, edge to edge is 720mm
        Core width 620mm
        Full height 320mm
        Core height 280
        Depth 50mm
        Core depth 18mm
        Mounting egs centres 450mm

Without removing old TD rad, they appear same size except for thickness.

It has Serck trade mark on it but no part number- that would have been to easy!

Comment

Would guess it is a TD rad and you possibly don't have a TD rad fitted at the moment. The only full width radiators are EFI and TD. The 1.6 and 1.3 and 2.0 turbo got shorter ones.
          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Hmm. .... that's interesting. Might explain why the heater doesn't, and the temp gauge hardly moves! Perhaps the rad is a hot country part.....
            Has anyone got a TD or EFI rad they could measure the depth of the core for me please. Not the casing but the actual fins/channel part?
            Thanks in advance

Comment

Comment

Just measured core on my Montego td radiator, not easy to measure accurately, but seems to be 30mm thick, I measured my maestro van (2.0 non turbo diesel) rad too & if anything it was thicker, I should have an old one somewhere that will be easier to measure, but my guess is that it will also be 30mm plus. They are all a long way off 18mm.... I do seem to remember a thinner radiator coming off a car years ago, but can't remember if it was working ok, or if it was taken off for a reason.....I did have a C reg MG Maestro that had a diesel engine put in (as people did years ago ;-) ) and am wondering if it was the thin rad one... E_T_V might know more about interchangeability between Maestro & Montego radiators....parts list doesn't help much, as it only tells you whether or not they are identical...18 mm does sound a bit skinny...

Comment

The TD doesn't need a lot of cooling (as it doesn't generate a lot of heat). I'd bet the skinny rad will be fine. It is probably an aftermarket one (rather than OE), so the core might not be as 'generous' as the OE one.
                  www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                  www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                  www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Ahain, tjanks for ypur inpput guys, I was thinking of putting the skinny one in- great for this weather, but how will it cope in hot weather /standing traffic...

Comment

Should be ok, it must have been made for that engine, I've only ever heard a Montego Diesel cooling fan come on a handful of times...if you drive from Berlin to Hannover with 4 people & luggage at about 100mph on a nice hot summer day, then join a massive traffic jam, then you might wish you had an extra 12mm of radiator. When I did it I wished that the bottom half of the rad still had fins on & the passengers wished I hadn't turned the heater on full.....In normal use I don't think they ever get really hot, as E_T_V says, they don't put much heat out...if you are worried about it get one of those "laser" non contact thermometers and check the temperature of the bottom hose after a run...I doubt that it will be much more than lukewarm....I put a much smaller rad in a Maestro Td so that I could get an intercooler in & it coped easily (ie heater still lukewarm ha ha ha), I think it was from a Golf 1.6 or something similar.

Comment

I might just give it a go....

Comment

Working...
                        X