Gearbox oil - 1989 1.3 A+ engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox oil - 1989 1.3 A+ engine

Hi. I can see this topic has done the rounds quite a bit but wondered if there was any definitive answer as to the correct gearbox oil for my 1.3.

Yes, the Haynes manual says SAE 80EP but my driver's handbook is all over the place! It's a 2nd edition handbook (AKM 6138) and says on page 43 use engine oil 10W/40 but then recommends EP 80 on page 44. If that wasn't enough the drivers information wallet contains two amendment pages for the handbook, one (AKM 6269) saying use EP80 and the other (AKM 6138/1) saying EP80 for top up and EP75 with anglamol for a refill!

I've found "VW" on a bracket so reckon it's a VW box.

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

The latest information from a Rover manual is SAE75 oil with 4% anglamol additive meeting GL4 level of performance and top up with SAE80. This ties in with the last amendment page you have.
    Membership Secretary
    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

i would never use engine oil in a gear box

Comment

Thanks for the response gents

Comment

Originally posted by BIGDAVE View Post
          Dont buy a mini or a four stroke motorbike then!!

Comment

Originally posted by BIGDAVE View Post
            That was what was originally specified for the PG1 gearbox in our cars! (well most of the larger engined ones!).
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

yes your right we had 2 minis and 2 metros and yes they used the same oil as the engine.but you had to change the oil at the said service.gearbox ep80 oil not very often

Comment

I've used decent synthetic 10w40 in my Turbos gearbox and had no problems.
                Ian
                Ian Drew
                MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                MG ZT V8
                Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Range Rovers used engine oil too, I think if you stick to what makers say as a minimum spec, you'll not go far wrong...apparently MTF94 is the latest recommendation for PG1 in maestro / montego, and various Land Rovers that used to have a variety of recommended oils...so far I've never had any problems with any of them, whatever oil they contained...

Comment

After much searching of the web and losing the will to live, I've gone for Miller Oils' EP 80W90 to GL4 and MIL-L-2105 specification which was one of three they recommended after emailing them. I reckon with the low annual mileage I do It's won't make a huge difference and it matches one of the handbook's pieces of advice at least!

Interestingly, the handbook for my 1979 Chrysler Avenger says use 20W/50 engine oil for the gearbox and offers no alternative so engine oil for some gearboxes is obviously fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X