Crankcase Ventilation Restrictor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankcase Ventilation Restrictor

Reading recently about this 'top hat' shaped restrictor, I know that mine is missing. Its not stuck inside the pipe as that is new. With it being an NLA item, a) what are the likely signs while it is not present and b) has anyone got any suggestions about sourcing a replacement. I'm presuming that with mine being a 1990 car, I will need the 2.2mm version and not the earlier 1.8mm version, assuming that I have the air bleed modification is linked with the size change.
    Membership Secretary
    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

I had to make a steel replacement for one of these, I made a spare while I had the lathe set up and am pretty sure I can remember where the safe place I put it in is... If it is missing then mixture will be weak when manifold vacum is present, ie off boost, so setting mixture correctly at idle will result in it being rich on boost...I would guess at it making the job of setting the carb up into a total nightmare, but am sure that there are people on here that will know more about it than me. The air bleed mod is a pipe from air cleaner to crank case filler/breather pipe which prevents excessive crancase vacum from causing an annoying whistle from the rear oil seal, according to one of Rover's service bulletins....luckily one of the ones I got around to uploading http://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/t...ical-bulletins
    Last edited by Doctordiesel77; 21st January 2018, 01:12.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, John Looks like this is one more thing I need to do, so if you can find your spare and let me have some details I'll get at least one more remanufactured. Unfortunately Its not going to help with my current issue, which is too rich off boost and way to lean on boost. Hopefully my work on the piping will resolve that one! I've got the TSB No 13/1 but do you or anyone else have a copy of TSB 139, particularly coverung item 871 which exxplains the air bleed mod.
      Membership Secretary

Comment

I'll see what other service bulletins I've got, but don't think I've got that one. The air bleed looks to be fairly simple, but the number of pipes connected to the various breathers does make you wonder how they worked out how to set it up and get to a choice of 1.8 or 2.2mm holes in the restrictor. Your problem sounds as if it may be fuel pressure related, but I guess you'll have checked that?
        If you paypal me a fiver I'll post you my spare restrictor, I can easily make another if need one. I didn't have an original to copy, so just made it a good fit in the hose, which is where it needs to seal.

Comment

Thats very kind, John. Would you please PM me your Paypal address and I'll send the money over later on.

I'm hoping that I found my fuel pressure issue, but just to be sure I'm borrowing a fuel pressure gauge in the near future so that I can prove the system once and for all. Just about everything in that area is new, so where the pressure is failing at the moment is a mystery.
          Membership Secretary

Comment

pm sent...fuel pressure problem could be faulty new part perhaps? I've bought faulty things before...very annoying...gauge will at least tell you what is going on...

Comment

Working...
            X