Maestro Turbo metal fuel pipes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maestro Turbo metal fuel pipes.

Hi all. I intend to replace all of the metal fuel pipe under the bonnet, so it's mainly the pipework going between swirl pot, pressure regulator and the carb. I have a few questions.
    1. Is stainless steel suitable as I understand it is more brittle than mild steel?
    2. I have looked everywhere for a reasonably priced way of adding the beading to the end of the pipe. Best I can find is a bench machine for about £150. Thoughts?
    3. Why did rover mix imperial with metric, 1/4" and 8mm. Superstars.

Cheers,
    Ian
    Ian Drew
    MG Maestro Turbo '400'
    MG ZT V8
    Rover 75 V6 Estate

I have used one of these https://www.buildingsuppliesdirect.c...RoCmf8QAvD_BwE. on steel pipes on Land Rover ACE ..it didn't like it but didn't break, price of tool was negligible compared to price of pipes. other option is to get brass fittings for correct sized pipe, use fitting to squeeze olive onto pipe, then remove fitting, last nut will be to cut off of course. but has worked when I've done it. I think the size mix was because a lot of it was designed pre metric, then the eec/our government starte getting heavy handed with demands to go metric, so everything had to change. Not sure why they bothered when the USA stayed imperial, I guess a lot of faceless businessmen made a lot of cash out of it... Interestingly the standard metric pipe thread is still bsp, changing it would have been too much of a nightmare even for the lunatics running the show.... Not sure about stainless, people have used it I think, copper will be easier to deal with, if a little less shiny.

Comment

I'm good with the flaring it's putting a bead in the pipe that is stumping me. The bead being the bulge in a pipe that stops a rubber pipe sliding off when attached with a jubilee clip or similar. Flaring tools are cheap, as your link suggests, it's the beading ones that aren't.

Cheers,
      Ian
      Ian Drew
      MG Maestro Turbo '400'
      MG ZT V8
      Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

I used to take pipes to my local engineering fabrication company, They always did a great job for not a lot of money, never had any problems with stainless steel
        Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 21st June 2019, 14:15.
        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
        2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Working...
        X