Speedo going crazy !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo going crazy !!

Could use some help here. Out with the Maestro for it’s bi-monthly Winter runout, up and down the motorway at a steady +- 60mph. I’ve been to the dancing speedo needle for the last 4 years but it went berserk, screaming and speedo went up to about 120mph !!. I slowed down and at about 30mph noise stopped and it back to normal (just dancing J ) then I tried it a few more times and the same thing happened, went right up to 120mph lots of screaming noise. Anybody else ever have this? If so let me know what it was so I can save myself some time trying to pull everything apart. I have all the parts I need to effect a repair.
    Any help much appreciated.

I would change the speedo cable to begin with as it sounds though its getting stuck, ravelling up somehow the becoming unstuck and unravelling.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

I would change the speedo cable to begin with as it sounds though its getting stuck, ravelling up somehow the becoming unstuck and unravelling.

I will do that

Comment

If changing the cable doesn't work, theother possibility is that someone has overdone the grease on the cable & some has migrated into the mechanism, if it gets between the rotor and the stator (which isn't really a stator as it moves with the needle) it can try to move the stator much further than it should. Some Land Rovers used to do this because the gearbox oil migrated up the cable...only time mine ever went 'off the clock' ha ha ha. You'll see if this has happened when you unplug the cable, cure is dismantling and degreasing, or replace speedo head... I think that on a Maestro the cable is most likely suspect tho', as Jeff says.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post
          If changing the cable doesn't work, theother possibility is that someone has overdone the grease on the cable & some has migrated into the mechanism, if it gets between the rotor and the stator (which isn't really a stator as it moves with the needle) it can try to move the stator much further than it should. Some Land Rovers used to do this because the gearbox oil migrated up the cable...only time mine ever went 'off the clock' ha ha ha. You'll see if this has happened when you unplug the cable, cure is dismantling and degreasing, or replace speedo head... I think that on a Maestro the cable is most likely suspect tho', as Jeff says.
          I'm pretty sure there's been no greasing done, I've got a replacement speedometer too, will start with cable and see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
          X