E10 Fuel Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E10 Fuel Help

Has anyone any thoughts/recommendations regarding the new E10 fuel? My Maestro is a Ledbury, 2000 registered, using normal unleaded.

Someone recommended Starbrite Startron additive, so I got some of that, other options are use only 'super unleaded' (continues to be e5) which is expensive, or replace any non ethanol resistant pipes and seals in the fuel system. On an SU carb there are not many seals, so may be worth doing, if you email http://sucarb.co.uk/ they should be able to advise. I guess we'll know better when the e10 has been around for longer & we can see what damage has been done...

Comment

Additives may be something to consider in relation to over winter storage. E10 fuel is more hygoscopic than E5 and so is possible to cause rusting of your petrol tank from the inside. Aditives should reduce or remove that possibility. If you do go down the route of updating all the rubber hoses in the fuel system, they need to be to SAE J30 R9 specification. SU carb plastic floats in the float chamber may need regular inspection. Other than that, if your annual mileage is fairly low, then sticking with Super Unleaded fuel might be the easiest option.
      Membership Secretary
      Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
      2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
      1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

esso synergy supreme 99 might be ethanol free in your area, you could contact them and ask.
        https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol

Comment

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will give them all some thought. I managed to fill up on the ordinary unleaded before 1st Sep. It is my only form of transport apart from my bicycle, which currently I can't use due to cancelled & postponed NHS hip ops. 50,000 on the waiting list in Portsmouth!! I really do need my car.

Comment

Portsmouth is in the ethanol free zone for Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99

Comment

Working...
            X