X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some MG Maestro Brake Questions.

My MG Turbo has finally gone in for the power upgrades I described here:

Gearbox and clutch options for 300bhp+ - Maestro & Montego Owners Club

Then I should imagine it will be going back in the garage till next spring which gives me 6 months to decided what to do with the brakes because it won’t be getting driven again till they are far superior than they are now.
    I really want to keep the original 15" alloys so the car looks completely standard even though the 16" Abingdon alloys and red AP 4 pots do looks very good. This would be a last option.
    I emailed PAW engineering about 4 or 5 months ago about their big brake kit and he said he was too busy.
    Now what is the difference between the standard mgf/tf brakes and the maestro brakes? I am sure I have read they are the same is this correct? If so would this kit fit my MG?

280mm FRONT Big Brake Conversion Kit with plain vented discs for ALL MGF & TF 7426762892326 | eBay

Also do any of the advertised brake pads for the mgf/tf's fit the maestro callipers?
    And on the note of callipers can you still get them brand new along with new rear drums from anywhere? Or use mgf ones? Next March I want a completed new braking system pipes and all to make sure I can get the nest results. Thanks Andy
    MG Maestro Turbo #500
    BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
    Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
    Rover 218vvc Coupe

Anyone?
    MG Maestro Turbo #500
    Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

If you want to stay on 15's then the way to go is the same as I did. PAW Big Brake kit, VW Corrado G50 discs and upgraded pads such as Greenstuff. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the standard wheels won't fit over the calipers with this set up, due to the caliper fouling the rim, but I may be wrong on that. So 15" MGF rims are fine and you may need 5mm spacers to make absolutely sure of clearance. The Corrado discs will need drilling for the Maestro wheel stud PCD, but otherwise is an almost direct swap.

TBH, if you are looking for that amount of performance, I wouldn't be looking at retaining original wheels or calipers, but would be going straight to 4-pot calipers and suitable MGF rims. There's not a lot you can do with the rear drums, bar fitting upgraded linings so would be researching a possible rear disc conversion and again going as big as possible
      Membership Secretary
      Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
      2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
      1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

I want a PAW set up but when I emailed them about 6 months ago they said they were busy but might do some in the future. I will send them another email. The seller of the above got back to me and said he has been asked if they fit maestros many times but they don't. Obviously the discs will but not the caliper bracket. The 16's and 4 pots will be my last option if I cant get a PAW set next year but I will be disappointed as I want it looking 100% standard from the outside/inside.
        MG Maestro Turbo #500
        Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

What about new standard parts calipers and drums, are these still available anywhere?
          MG Maestro Turbo #500
          Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Looks like they are. Search online for MG Maestro Brake calipers, as the EFi and Turbo both had vented discs. Rexbo, was first site I found. £44 each caliper. Brake drums are common across the range, so any Maestro is ok. GDB102 is the standard part number
            Membership Secretary
            Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
            2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
            1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Thanks for the information, just about giving them away the price of everything is unbelievably cheap! I wonder if there is much difference in the quality of the very cheapest and most expensive parts? Can’t find any uprated shoes for the drums as such, I have seen Ferodo ones which I know is a good make but don’t know if they are any better than standard. What to the race MG’s use?
              MG Maestro Turbo #500
              Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Working...
              X