Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power steering

Can power steering be retro fitted to a non powered steering car

Yes it can, you'll need a rack, piping, pump, replacement steering column end clamp, possibly a replacement pulley, belt, steering column cover on the floor, engine brackets to attach the pump. What engine size do you have?
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

My car is a 2.0 Turbo Diesel, from what you say I think getting stronger arms would be easier, I have had this car 20 years so think it is OK as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by thart View Post
        My car is a 2.0 Turbo Diesel, from what you say I think getting stronger arms would be easier, I have had this car 20 years so think it is OK as it is.
        Sounds like it, being a diesel the pump isn't the same as an efi etc so much rarer

Comment

Thank you very much Jeff, your knowledge is far greater than mine, I am getting on a bit at 85 but I can still still turn the steering wheel OK Cheers Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by thart View Post
            Thank you very much Jeff, your knowledge is far greater than mine, I am getting on a bit at 85 but I can still still turn the steering wheel OK Cheers Tom.
            Couple of extra pounds in the front tyres might help a bit. I do that in my Zodiac and consul

Comment

As Jeff says quite a few bits needed to do the conversion. In a bizarre twist the diesel pas pumps, which rotate the opposite way to all the rest are quite easy to get hold of (Rimmers still have them), but the other bits would be a bit harder to find. As well as increasing tyre pressure, it might be worth making sure that you have the narrowest tyre option fitted, I'm not 100% sure, but think there was a choice between 175 and 185 on Maestro and 185 or 195 on Montego. A decent tyre place should be able to advise what other options there might be, generally going down a size means you need to increase pressure, which makes steering even lighter. My diesel van has 175 15s on & steering is not much different to the car with 195s and pas..

Comment

Thank you very much Jeff and Doctor Diesel, this is all very interesting, the tyre pressure increase is my favourite for the moment, but when the tyres get changed I will certainly do as you say DD.
                Many thanks for all this help, it is most kind of you, all the best, Tom Hart.

Comment

Working...
                X