Passenger side front wheel won't rotate, looking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passenger side front wheel won't rotate, looking for advice

So my Maestro's been stood for a little while and while obviously it won't start, thats not the problem that concerns me at the moment.

Three of the wheels turn fine including the drivers side front, however the passenger front won't. I thought it might be a rusted brake pad of seized caliper but no - with the wheel off, the disc will move a inch in either direction, but no more.

I'm assuming that something else has seized but am hoping for a steer as to whether it's the diff (My assumption) or something else.

The car is a B reg 1.6 MG. Any advice or guidance as to how I might free it up would be most welcome. Thanks.

Have you removed the caliper and checked the carrier isn't catching on any rust from the disc? And is the car in neutral?
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

could just be the wheel bearing, the diff shouldn't have suffered from standing, I'd be tempted to put it back on its wheels& either tow or push back & forward to free it off, then check for noise/roughness. yours will be 2 piece bearings which are quite cheap anyway.

Comment

get both wheels off the ground, if you can then turn the wheel you have a problem!

Comment

Thanks everyone, much appreciated, i'll follow up when i've had a chance to investigate further along all these lines.

Comment

Working...
          X