Intermittent loss of power Monty Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent loss of power Monty Turbo

It seems that my problem with the loss of power isn't cured. I borrowed some trade plates today to take the car a run, was ok for a few minutes then it loses power, I was down to 5mph in 2nd gear, if you can keep the revs high its ok, but the revs don't build and its popping and banging, I kept my foot to the floor and eventually it picked up and then shot off again, then it happened again, I was approaching a slight incline and the car just could not make it up the hill so I had to stop there.

Things that have been done,
    New tank, fuel, filter
    Plugs, leads cap and rotor arm.
    Carb stripped and new choke O rings,
    Ive checked the vent valve and that seems to work as well.

I got it to my mates unit and got an airline down the fuel lines and in the carb and blew it all out, it then ran sweet again, got it upto 70mph easily, my question is did I clear something? Or is it just ok again until the next time? Does anyone have any other suggestions? The problem seems to occur at around 2500rpm, if it gets past that its fine, but today once it got to that rpm the trouble started and you lose all power.

Any suggestions would be great!

Fuel pump?

Comment

Possible I guess

Comment

might explain why it went better after you blew the lines out ..... you've changed most of the other bits on fuel side, so might be worth a try. I had an SD1 that did a similar trick, had some weird bits of grit in the pump, small enough to jam the rotor intermittently, but too big to escape.. I found this out by cutting it open to see why it was doing it... It was very annoying as it seemed to be working if you pulled a pipe off to check it..

Comment

If its a turbo and the point at which the problem is seen is 2,500rpm that seems to point to the turbo coming on stream, so could it be the fuel pressure regulator not keeping the pressure above boost? Also may be nothing, but I didn't think the turbo was fitted with a fuel filter, so is that an add-on?
          Membership Secretary
          Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
          2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
          1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Yes it's been fitted recently, I believe the regulator has also been changed,

Comment

Balance pipe on the carb changed? If not then do so - it is just standard fuel hose. When it splits the carb runs out of fuel when the turbo comes on boost.

Same thing happens if the carb vent valve isn't working too - to test block it off with a bolt.

www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
              www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
              www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Ive replaced the balance pipe too, but it does feel like its running out of fuel when it happens.

Comment

Working...
                X