Starting long dormant MG Montego EFi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting long dormant MG Montego EFi

I have been contacted by a gentleman in France who has come across an interesting car

"Hello,
    I come to you for some advice, I am French and I am interested in buying a MG MONTEGO 2.0 EFI, it is not the most prestigious MG but it is a car that has become rare, even very rare in FRANCE and deserves to be saved. This MG MONTEGO is from the year 1986 with only 18 000km and has not been driven for a very long time, it will have to be restarted in the rules, for lack of sufficient technical documentation, what precautions should I take with this type of engine (I do not know the exact type) and in general? are the parts easily available?
    I THANK YOU IN ADVANCE for all the informations and advices you can give me about this model"

You can tell this is a computer translation but I think the advice he needs is reasonably clear. I have the suggested the obvious one of turning the engine by hand to make sure it isn't seized but is there anything else you would recommend. He doesn't own it yet so is probably not in a position to change the oil or do very much too it at this stage. The fuel is probably stale as well.

Nick

It is quite likely that the fuel pump could be stuck, a tap with a mallet might persuade it into life, other thing I'd be wary of is the timing belt, at 18000km it may be the original one and might be ready to fail after34 years...

Comment

If the engine isn't siezed I would recommend, new cambelt, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, waterpump, plugs, fuel pump relays and check connections to see if corroded in the inner wing, check the distributor cap, rotor arm and all leads. You can put a fuel intake pipe in a can of fresh petrol and through a fuel pump and the overflow into an empty can so you don't drag up all the rust in the tank. The engine will be an O series, updated from the early type so the crank timing should be the pointer on the oil pump to the indent on the crank pulley, and the cam timing will have two holes to line up either side of the hole on the cam cover etc. Tensioner will also be easier to replace. Once thats done I would turn the engine over with the coil lead off to make sure all oil has circulated, then connect and hope for the best. We also have a couple of members in France btw. Parts, depends on what's needed, engine parts can easily be sourced, body parts not so much but there are body parts out there. If he needs any more info nick, get him to message me
      Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 13th January 2020, 16:57.
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
      2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

To follow on. Ecu maybe dead so check to see if the car has spark, would also clean up the rear crank sensor as that maybe dirty
        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
        2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Both, that is a great help, I'll pass it on and Jeff, thanks for the offer to help. He hasn't joined the forum but suggest he does so.

Comment

Working...
          X