Power Steering problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering problem

My power steering doesn't do anything when stationary, as soon as I start to move the car it seems fine maybe a little heavier when turning left. No noises or anything. In fact i didn't think it had power steering but I have been told the car has it. The car is not with me at the moment so I cannot check. Does it sound like the usual way for the power steering to fail. its a 1989 MG Maestro 2.0 efi.

Thanks,
    Wayne

Power steering should be working when stationery, is there any fluid in it and is it actually connected to the pulley, if so is the belt slipping?
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

i will check when the car comes back to me tomorrow. the garage also recons the servo isnt right on the brakes. they say it feels just like the old school brakes without servo assist. I am assuming the car should ha modern brakes on it and there is some sort of a fault.!

Comment

Originally posted by routledge75 View Post
        i will check when the car comes back to me tomorrow. the garage also recons the servo isnt right on the brakes. they say it feels just like the old school brakes without servo assist. I am assuming the car should ha modern brakes on it and there is some sort of a fault.!
        The brakes are not the best on Maestros/Montegos. Servo assisted discs on front and drums on the back
        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
        2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

I think that could be the problem right there! garages nowadays know what a drum brake is! When I drove the maestro it seemed ok, that said i also own a triumph spitfire which has the same setup with drums on the rear. The brake pedal is just to make you feel better. it doesn't really do much.

Comment

I have checked the pulley and pump. I do not seem to have a pump. We the Maestros ever made with out power steering?

Thanks,
            Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by routledge75 View Post
              I have checked the pulley and pump. I do not seem to have a pump. We the Maestros ever made with out power steering?

Thanks,
              Wayne
              Yes, power steering was extra on most models, if it isn't there it'd explain lack of assistance when stationary!

Comment

Well I never! I had an Mg years ago and it had power steering. I am glad those days of optional power steering have gone! Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X