Mongeo Countryman Td to L series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bodgit0_0 View Post
    I have already half grafted a perkins prima TD in to the Lada on an LDV gearbox (LT77) and machined a new output to match the Lada T-Box.

Looking at more useable lower reving power as its going to be used off-road a lot.

Just looking at all options before I tidy up the conversion and stick with whats fitted.

Cheers.

Lee
    That sound interesting, get some pics up. ETV, will know the production years and models, alternatively you could simply do a search on google. It is the hgf and more reliable power that is the main benefit from the L series over the Prima. It can be tuned to 135 which equates to around 240nm so it will pull! With no loss of relaibility, the sweet spot of tuning if you like.

Comment

If you want it to be rugged then the non intercooled is probably the more robust (less electrics). The only cars that didn't come intercooled as standard were 200/400 models ending with a D rather than a Di. All 600's were intercooled, as were the 25/45 etc.

The only thing to watch with them is that they come as standard with a smaller clutch than the intercooled models, 215mm vs 228mm. If you redrill the flywheel for the larger clutch or swap the flywheel and clutch from the intercooled models then the clutch is generally ok for 200ftlb and some make it to 240ftlb.

The prima and the L series use the same gearbox (PG1), so you shouldn't need to do much work to make it fit, the only headache will be the fuel pump belt and its interface with the bulkhead. This is why there are prima powered landys out there but not L series ones I believe.

The L series and prima are very similar in non intercooled form. The L series has a smaller turbo giving more usable power, and is probably a little quieter, but other than that they are similar, so that if you fitted the smaller turbo to the prima you'd probably not notice a lot of difference between them.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I had a nightmare weekend. Timing was lost due to the tensioner bolt somehow working loose, lost the lids off 3 valve buckets and the head was written off. Jez had another engine reserved for a project which was no longer needed. I posted on MG Rover org as there is a good diesel section there, here is the outcome though:

Ok, car back up and running with an engine taken out of a v reg'd bubble genuine 56k as I found the service history in the glovebox. It was an SD but I have SDi'd it while the engine was out, and I have to say I am glad it was!

You virtually have to strip the rear of the engine so be prepared if you are going to make the conversion.

Anyway a couple of pics:

The engine:

The modestly proportioned i/c!! (it is the only one I had to fit!)

In situ:

Only problem is an oil leak from the oil pump crank seal, and the vac pump. Too late to sort now, they are only slight so will be sorted early next week.

This is one car that actually benefitted from the scrappage scheme!

Comment

is that the one u came to me in ??? it sounded ok the old lump or was is dead?

Comment

yes, that is some time ago now steve! That old engine died unfortunately. Oil starvation I think as the bores were quite scored.

I am sorting out another shell as the current one is a bit tatty now with an awkward bit of corrosion around windscreen, both bumpers dinged up, tailgate rusty, windscreen needs replacing, and there is more!

It has done me well though.

Comment

have u still got the shell from l707gud? that was a good shell wasnt it ???

Comment

Yes, but annoyingly the rear arches very quickly rusted up, a hole appeared in the drivers door. Whoever did the arches didn't do a good job of rust proofing. It is a shame I couldn't find the space to dry store it as it would still be ok. It has ended up as the spares countryman sadly.

Comment

it wasnt me that did them they must have been done like that even before i got it. didnt that have a tow bar on it ?

Comment

I love the idea of an Lseries in my monty and i may do the swap. What i was wondering is would it be possible to swap just the manifolds from the L to the prima, this would get you the drivability of the L without all the hassle of a full conversion and leave you with the option of intercooling. naturally there would be a few challanges such as the exhaust and boost piping but you wouldnt need to fiddle with wires or fueling ( unless you went for more power and intercooling). Would be great if possible

Comment

I'm fairly sure the manifolds are quite different, but it would be perfectly possible to use the L series turbo on the prima with some suitable adapters and down pipe made up to suit. This would give better driveability.
                      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

This is a project I started and didn't finish. I do have a head I started gasket matching to the L series manifold. You could then attach the gt1549 direct to the manifold? Let me know if you are interested. I don't want much for it.

Originally posted by monty_dom View Post
                        I love the idea of an Lseries in my monty and i may do the swap. What i was wondering is would it be possible to swap just the manifolds from the L to the prima, this would get you the drivability of the L without all the hassle of a full conversion and leave you with the option of intercooling. naturally there would be a few challanges such as the exhaust and boost piping but you wouldnt need to fiddle with wires or fueling ( unless you went for more power and intercooling). Would be great if possible

Comment

Originally posted by monty_dom View Post
                          What i was wondering is would it be possible to swap just the manifolds from the L to the prima,
                          I was going to use a L series turbo in my prima for the earlier boost, I can show you an easy way of using the prima manifold to intercool, you just turn the turbo elbow through 90 degrees and connect your boost pipes on.

This should be food for thought:
                          http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9851

Comment

Hi Countrydude,

I am hoping to do an L-Series conversion to my Countryman. I know your project was a few years ago now. Would you be able to repost the photos as they no longer display and would be very helpful. Is your L-Series Monty still with you / on the road?

Regards, Matt.
                            1985 Austin Montego 1.6HL Estate 'Uncle Monty'
                            1994 Rover Montego Countryman 2.0D 'Colin' - L-Series in progress
                            1994 Rover Montego Countryman 2.0D 'Nessy'
                            1994 Rover Montego Countryman 2.0D - L-Series Converted

Comment

I am not sure "countrydude" has been active on the forum for some time? That last post was 2010.

Comment

E_T_V converted a Maestro camper to L series,..same job only with more room in front of Rad on a Montego...there is, or was a blog somewhere, I thought it was on here http://www.roverdiesel.co.uk/ , but can't find it...if it is still there it will save you a lot of thinking / wondering time! I found it http://www.roverdiesel.co.uk/forums/...php?f=16&t=206. other link to main site might beuseful to you anyway...
                                Last edited by Doctordiesel77; 5th December 2017, 20:38.

Comment

Working...
                                X