No announcement yet.

Adjustable EFI ECU (Motobuild)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

with one of these ECU can I run an efi engine with turbo?

Comment

personally anything that says motobuild in on or beside it I would not trust.... I ran an efi ecu with a mapfueler 2 and 2 large cossie injectors when I originally ran my efi turbo8v it worked well but went flat at 4000rpm.. I cannot see any way motobuild had that level of tech to achieve this claim.. there efi turbo car only achieved 150bhp, and I believe the car didn't run very well at that.. the best they ever done was a 270bhp @27psi on one of there race cars, and that was a carb engine.. mine @ its best was approx. 290lbft of torque @14psi and going flat at 4ooo rpm.. the clutches were the weak link, a sport 200 turbo clutch shattered on the motorway with less than 100 miles on it.. I currently run a mems1.9 management wasted spark system.. which I hasten to add has reduced the power output but made it much more driveable, this course of action was in preparation for the emerald management which would set up the engine to be as good as it can be.. but a lot of other work in the back ground to cure a lot of known issues with the 8v engine.. regards ricky
      Last edited by thamestyres; 27th October 2017, 18:58.
      home of the "mad maestro"
      rover sterling kv6 and four tailpipes on lenso rs5's
      1935 Morris 18/6 being rejuvenated with xj6 parts

Comment

thanks for the info thamestyres!! Where can I find that adjustable ECU and larger injectors?
        Will the efi turbo have less fuel consumption? how did you get that power

Comment

http://howertonengineering.com/wp-st...016/02/MF2.pdf and http://www.burtonpower.com/bosch-fue...-yb-sc623.html might be good places to start. I do not know anything about them though, just know where they are, but I guess that if you look the information up there, then Ricky will be able to answer any other questions.
          good luck
          John

Comment

Thanks doctordiesel77. These injectors are compatible with the Montego EFI?

Comment

I think that is the sort of thing that Ricky had used with the mapfueler 2, but that is all I know, I think that these sort of alterations will need to be set up by an expert, I would guess that they will not be cheap... would make a very fast Montego though

Comment

Very interesting, could Ricky make a detailed description? You may find other members interesting too. I also want to make my montego fast, thank you very much

Comment

i would not use the adjustable ecu it almost definitely would not work... in the original set up I used the original efi ecu and a mapfueler 2.. this was frought with problems, power was either on or off and was hard work but good fun to drive.. if you use the std efi ecu setup you must use the std injectors, then the mpafueler has 2 injectors on the inlet pipe which spray into the inlet tract through the throttle housing.. if you use the std exhaust manifold from the turbo engine you need to modify the inlet manifold to take the injectors, the exhaust and inlet manifolds need to be wrapped to insulate them from the heat that is generated, then when all the system is working as it should you can then fit the emerald ecu and set it up properly depending how far you go with the setup and manifolds will depend how much boost you can use, mine is sorted to cope with 20psi from a t3 cossie turbo and if the emerald was to be fitted and setup with that boost it could return a possible 300bhp, there are lots more upgrades than what has been mentioned here... this can be much simplified nowadays by having both the manifolds made would probably improve the outcome slightly.. but not a job for all but the very brave... i currently run a mems1.9 wasted spark system, fitted in readiness for the emerald, it is currently running 200bhp and 230lbft it is fairly smooth through the whole range but you can tell its not right with the 16v map.. regards ricky

Comment

Originally posted by Juanmacandel View Post
                    Thanks doctordiesel77. These injectors are compatible with the Montego EFI?
                    anything on the maestro will generally fit the montego, they use the same floor plan and electrics, mostly just body shape is different... regards ricky

Comment

Originally posted by Juanmacandel View Post
                      with one of these ECU can I run an efi engine with turbo?
                      Short answer. No. This was for tweaking the fuelling on EFI cars.

If you REALLY want to make an EFI 8V O series turbo then you are best off with a programmable ECU, (Whichever your local mapping person is most familiar with. Then a whole lot of fabrication and expense. And it'll still be slower than fitting a more modern 16v engine.
                      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

very useful, how did you put the additional injectors and the second mapfuel? I'm from Spain and I do not understand my English, thank you

Could you make me a detailed list of all the process and necessary materials? I would be very excited to have the information for a day to do my Montego faster

Comment

I would like to keep the montego engine so as not to lose its essence

Comment

Few people have done this so you are unlikely to get a list of bits to buy/make.
                            Most people who want more power fit the very similar and 16V T series engine. This has fuel injection as standard.
                            If you want to fit fuel injection and a turbo then you are going to be doing a lot of work with very few (if any) people to ask the advice from that have done it before.

There are many aftermarket engine management systems around that could be adapted to work. Emerald, Megasquirt etc etc. You'd then need to get a manifold and turbo installed and then get someone experienced with that engine management type to set it all up to run properly. Whilst this is all possible it is not cheap and is not easy.
                            I think you really need to ask whether this is something you have the skills and budget to attempt.
                            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

What car does the T-series engine come from?

I want to get about 150 hp and not have a large consumption so I think a turbo injection can come well

Comment

Easiest and probably cheapest way to get 150 hp. would be to buy a complete engine and gearbox from a Montego or Maestro turbo, then finding parts and putting it together would be much less difficult. They were 150hp from the factory.and use a relatively simple carburettor set up, some of the engine parts were different, I guess stronger than the efi engine, E_T_V will know more about these differences than I do. I would be tempted to aim for a lower output, say 120hp, with efi and no turbo, just to try and keep it easier and more reliable, but that might be because my other car is a diesel Land Rover .

Comment

Working...
                                X