G535BUY Montego Estate GSi - petrol manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [For Sale] G535BUY Montego Estate GSi - petrol manual

We are planning to reduce from two Montego Estates to one! The 'G' Reg has been on the drive SORN for 18 months, but is now with the garage, as the ideal would be for it to leave us roadworthy and with MOT, so it could be driven away by purchaser... It needs a new starter motor and fuel pump at least and I am trying to source these now. The front left-hand headlamp was accidentally smashed, but there is a replacement ready to fit. The alternative is that an enthusiast takes on the work him or herself, but without MOT etc it would need recovery or towing with trade plates or whatever. We live in SW London.... I think the GSi model is now very rare so a great restoration project, as there is a lot still good about the car. Mileage under 100,000. Had new sills and rear wheel arches in 2017. Keen to make a decision soon, so feel free to reply through the website or better still to contact Julia on 07798 863 967

Looks a nice car from that picture, great colour
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

I am sorry not to have posted any further updates about G535BUY. The new starter motor and fuel pump were meant to arrive at the garage on Tuesday (3rdNov).... They haven't arrived yet (Thursday 5th) and Hermes don't seem to know where they are.... really frustrating. Will update when I can, I hope to get down to the garage tomorrow and take some photos, which I know would be helpful.

Comment

Update on G535BUY. Garage has installed the new fuel pump, but say that a new starter motor does not appear to be needed. However, they have still been unable to start the vehicle. Multi-functional relay definitely working, so that isn't the problem. (Obvious things like a new battery installed, dash board lights come on when ignition turned, so not a problem across the board.) They think it is an electrical supply problem, but unsure really. Anyone got any advice? The battery was disconnected most of the time that it was SORN on our drive. From my total lack of technical knowledge, I asked a really basic question about fuel-supply, which was.... could all the fuel have evaporated in that 18 months + that it has been on our drive, including in the hot summer sun? (Remember summer?) They don't seem to think so, but I don't think they have actually checked if there is any fuel, which seems really puzzling to me....Any advice welcomed! I took some photos while I was at the garage on Saturday which I will post below. Race against time now, as the garage has to leave their premises on Saturday....

Comment

Comment

Final 3 photos of G535BUY taken 07.11.20 at the garage

Comment

So, the questions we need answers to are:

Does the starter motor turn the engine (and at the correct speed)?
              Does the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds when the ignition is first turned on?
              Is the coil producing a spark when the engine is turning over? (This will prove out the crankshaft sensor, coil, ignition ECU and associated wiring).
              If a spark is available, is it getting to the plugs? (This will prove out the distributor cap and HT leads)
              If a spark is getting to the plugs, will the engine run with 'Easy Start' sprayed directly into the air intake? (This will confirm that fuel is NOT reaching the injectors)

I also share your concern that they have not checked if there is any fuel in the tank.......!
              1983 (Y) MG 1600
              1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
              1987 700 City 1.6 Van
              1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
              1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
              1990 Clubman D
              1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Did this car ever get sorted? Some good things pointed out but no answer? I see that it passed it's MOT so it must be running now but quite a few advisories. Possible welding needed on the structure and jacking points, all wheel bearings really, both rear shocks, both steering rack gaiters need replacing. All in one year since the last MOT in less than 500 miles, blimey. I see it also needed quite a bit of welding in 2014, is this now failing?
                Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 2nd January 2021, 13:54.

Comment

Hello Jeff, sorry for slow reply. G535BUY got a happy new home in December, with someone who has the practical experience & skills, including welding & wiring, useful for a car of this age! He's really enthusiastic & I can't wait to see it restored well at a show - late spring/early summer? -whenever that might be possible....It had new sills and rear wheel arches in 2014. I didn't think they had failed to be honest, but staying one step ahead of rust is an ongoing challenge in these cars.

Comment

PS G535BUY was SORN on our drive, uncovered for over 18 months, and I fear a lot of the deterioration happened in that time. It wasn't meant to last so long but 'stuff happened'...including my husband in hospital for a little while with COVID-19 (all fine now - happy ending)...& not helped by the garage who would have originally sorted out the car for us closing down....

Comment

very late reply to 'digital efi' message of 10th Nov..... thanks so much for all your very practical suggestions as to why G535BUY might not be starting. In the end, the garage realised the problem was that the wiring to the starter motor had failed. I was a bit surprised it took so long to discover that. They replaced the wiring .... then they were able to sort it.

Comment

Originally posted by SandJRaeburn View Post
                        very late reply to 'digital efi' message of 10th Nov..... thanks so much for all your very practical suggestions as to why G535BUY might not be starting. In the end, the garage realised the problem was that the wiring to the starter motor had failed. I was a bit surprised it took so long to discover that. They replaced the wiring .... then they were able to sort it.
                        Glad to hear all was sorted

Comment

Working...
                        X