Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Events for 2015 - what do you want?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Thank you!

    Thank you very much to all of you who have commented. I've printed out this thread to take to the committee meeting tomorrow, and hopefully get the 2015 M&MOC events calendar going and published before the New Year.

    However, please do keep the ideas coming, and if you hear of an event that you think M&MOC should be at, let me know

    Comment


    • #17
      I would just like to agree with those comments above. I am sure Tanya, that if anyone can spice up the event calendar, you are the woman to do it.

      If I can make it, I am happy to help out at any event and also happy to offer my cars. I really enjoyed the Cowley Convoy to the Pride of Longbridge, showing the public that the Monties were out en-masse. I would love to attend more navigational rallies.

      I was a club member in 2006 but then had a few sad Montego-free years, so this year has been my first proper year attending events, and I have really enjoyed all of the ones I got to and I was warmly welcomed by other members.

      I know that it is never easy being a national club trying to balance the locations of the events, but having a club presence at most of the well-known ones throughout the season makes the social side of the club accessible. I enjoy the social aspect of being a club member as well as the online community/magazine and although being in the South West, am always up for a grand tour, so if we can get the Great North Run reinstated, it will have my support!

      One idea I would like to put forward for the officially attended shows is a standardised info sheet template for displaying in the windscreen at shows, most of us like to do it - but if we had one with the club logo at the top and a set list of specs, history etc it would get everyone doing it and make for interesting reading.

      Oli, a monthly South West meet sounds great, count me in.

      I look forward to seeing you all at an event soon.

      Matt.
      1985 Austin Montego 1.6HL Estate 'Uncle Monty'
      1994 Rover Montego Countryman 2.0D 'Colin' - L-Series in progress
      1994 Rover Montego Countryman 2.0D 'Nessy'
      1994 Rover Montego Countryman 2.0D - L-Series Converted

      Comment


      • #18
        For anyone living in the South West there are quite a few shows you could meet up at either as an organised club or as individuals. These include the Bridgewater Classic Car Show held in August and the annual Historic Vehicle Gathering at Powderham castle in July. There is also a free entry event held in August in Exmouth which in organised by the Devon Branch of the Morris Minor Owners Club.

        Regarding the Historic Vehicle gathering at Powderham Castle, I am one of the two principal organisers of the Modern Classics section covering individual cars of interest covering the period 1981 - 1999. We would be happy to have a few Maestros and/or Montegos along in addition to the immaculate MG Maestro 2.0i we get loyal support from each year. However, we normally limit the total number of a particular model (e.g. Maestro or Montego) to four examples as we are looking to maximise variety in terms of makes and models.

        The MMOC would be more than welcome to have a club stand at this event alongside the other 70 car clubs we get.

        Comment


        • #19
          David are you interested in a South West meet once a month, somewhere central to all of us?

          Comment


          • #20
            Is the club too small to have a weekend rally in the summer sometime? Maybe something could be worked out jointly with the Metro club if so. Both the Austin Counties Car Club and the Austin A30/35 Owners Club, which I am a member of, hold National rallies every summer, with an itinerary of events. Set up the tents on Friday, a road run and BBQ on the Saturday, and main show day and prizegiving on the Sunday. These national rallies are a big advantage of club membership.
            1985 Austin Maestro 1.3 Base (B662 DVX)

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Richard H View Post
              Is the club too small to have a weekend rally in the summer sometime? Maybe something could be worked out jointly with the Metro club if so. Both the Austin Counties Car Club and the Austin A30/35 Owners Club, which I am a member of, hold National rallies every summer, with an itinerary of events. Set up the tents on Friday, a road run and BBQ on the Saturday, and main show day and prizegiving on the Sunday. These national rallies are a big advantage of club membership.
              I like that idea. Currently we sort of roll that in with BL Day but possibly as we grow and become more active, it is something that we can aim for.

              Comment


              • #22
                Facebook link

                Originally posted by The Express Valeter View Post
                Just a point in the post above re Facebook Page. Would it not be a good idea to have a visible link on here somewhere to the Facebook Page? I didn't even know there was a Facebook Page till about 2 weeks ago. Then a link on there to here if there isn't one already.
                I know there is a link on our main website, but if you're like me, you tend to mostly use the forum so miss it. I'll ask if it is possible to add something to the forum, so that forum users can see it.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Proposed events/opportunities so far (we can all add to this)

                  Proposed events/opportunities so far. Please note the 'so far', as we can all add to it. I just haven't had time to investigate all the event ideas, but wanted to post something up.

                  Some of these may not happen, but I will start a 'confirmed events' thread before the end of the year, and keep that up to date.

                  If you have any questions/want more details about any of the events listed, please let me know. Some of these are Cowley events that I organise, but as Maestros and Montegos are Cowley cars, I need them at the Cowley events. I have my own I could take, but I would rather see fresh cars and different faces.

                  If the club has a stand/insurance liabilities, then it is club members only. Events that the club has no responsibility/insurance liabilities, then non-club members are welcome.

                  I hope you can follow my format. Event - date - how many cars - price.

                  *Indoor


                  Opening of Nuffield Place/Cowley’s anniversary (Cowley/Nuffield) – Monday 2nd March – one car – free

                  Austin & Morris Day – Sunday 8th March – everyone – Brooklands prices

                  *Practical Classics Restoration & Classic Car Show (NEC) - 28th & 29th March - limited

                  Proposed MG Run (Abingdon/Cowley/Longbridge) – Saturday 4th April – everyone – free (possible charge from Gaydon)

                  Pride of Longbridge (including Cowley Convoy) – Saturday 18th April – everyone - free

                  Drive It Day (everywhere) – Sunday 26th April – everyone – mostly free

                  Tatton Park – Saturday 30th/Sunday 31st May – limited - free

                  Bromley – Sunday 7th June – either 10 to 15 car stand or a 3 car stand - £5 per car

                  *Bristol – Saturday 13th/14th Sunday June – limited - free

                  BMC & Leyland Show (Gaydon) – Sunday 5th July – six cars free (need to discuss fair way to do this)

                  Hagerty Festival of the Unexceptional (Near Silverstone) – Sunday 25th July – limited – free

                  BL Day – Sunday 2nd August – everyone - £5 pre-booked

                  Cowley Car Festival – w/c 10th August, for a week. Various opportunities – free.

                  Cowley Classic Car Show – Sunday 16th August – everyone – free, donation requested

                  Tatton Park – Saturday 22nd/Sunday 23rd August – limited -free

                  *Manchester – Saturday 19th/Sunday 20th September – limited - free

                  BL Autumn Rally (Milton Keynes) – Sunday 27th September – everyone – free

                  *NEC – Friday 13th/Saturday 14th/Sunday 15th November – limited - free
                  Last edited by Austin-Rover; 26th January 2015, 13:28.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    NEC isn't in August Tanya
                    The club has insurance etc for club members only
                    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser finished
                    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                    2004 Rover 75 Conny auto
                    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
                      NEC isn't in August Tanya
                      The club has insurance etc for club members only
                      Ha ha - I've changed it

                      Yes, your wording of that is neater than mine. Thank you.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        One thought I have had is I deemed my car of no interest at shows like the nec as I guess you wanted them to represent "back in the day" however I was thinking earlier along the lines of ways to increase club membership, which got me thinking that maybe a highly modified t16 montego (although still fairly standard looking) might just draw in a new/ wider audience? Don't know what people's thoughts on that are? May be an audience you don't want? Just an idea.
                        As I live near Oxford and really need to get my car out there a bit next year hopefully I'll be at some of the cowley based meets if not a bit further afield.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by mgt16 View Post
                          One thought I have had is I deemed my car of no interest at shows like the nec as I guess you wanted them to represent "back in the day" however I was thinking earlier along the lines of ways to increase club membership, which got me thinking that maybe a highly modified t16 montego (although still fairly standard looking) might just draw in a new/ wider audience? Don't know what people's thoughts on that are? May be an audience you don't want? Just an idea.
                          As I live near Oxford and really need to get my car out there a bit next year hopefully I'll be at some of the cowley based meets if not a bit further afield.
                          Absolutely! I'm all in favour of having a modified car on our stands at these types of shows. We need to be more diverse and they do attract another type of audience.

                          It will be great to see you at some of the Cowley based events, and hopefully others too.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            not been any show's myself since 2009, but planning to do some next year be nice to show the last 2 years work i have put in to the car

                            Manchester one 100% has it near me
                            MG Maestro turbo 437
                            367 Bhp

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by charliecosworth View Post
                              not been any show's myself since 2009, but planning to do some next year be nice to show the last 2 years work i have put in to the car

                              Manchester one 100% has it near me
                              Great! We'd love to see you at the Manchester show. What car do you have?

                              I don't suppose you fancy doing the Practical Classics Restoration Show at the NEC next March - http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/sho...911#post179911. It would be great to have a restored car on the stand.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Tanya View Post
                                Great! We'd love to see you at the Manchester show. What car do you have?

                                I don't suppose you fancy doing the Practical Classics Restoration Show at the NEC next March - http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/sho...911#post179911. It would be great to have a restored car on the stand.
                                Tanya love to do it, but sadly has frank sinatra said ( i did it my way ) not 100% standard for the Restoration show.

                                my album

                                http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/album.php?albumid=197
                                MG Maestro turbo 437
                                367 Bhp

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X