No announcement yet.

Montego Advantage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the time of the Advantage launch, ASDA were offering one (or more?) of each variant as a competition prize.

For every £20(?) you spent, you were given a sticker representing a jigsaw piece of an Advantage. You stuck these on a collector card, and if you succeeded in collecting all of them (8 IIRC) you won that particular model. (No cut and shuts were allowed, so nobody could win a Mestrego, before any of you ask )

Needless to say, one particular piece had a very small print run, thus restricting the number of cars available to win.
    1983 (Y) MG 1600
    1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
    1987 700 City 1.6 Van
    1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
    1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
    1990 Clubman D
    1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

I used to own a montego advantage in the mid 1990s a rare black one bought it from an auction 1990 h reg was a swan national rental car before I bought it had 79 000 on clock when I bought it only 4 years old kept it for 5 years what a car it was super hit to say it was non turbo lovely fast luxury piece of motoring wish I’d never sold it unfortunately my job change and I was doing more miles a day to and from work a 37 mile round trip 6 days a week made it no longer economical to run at only 25 mpg swapped it for a Ford Orion diesel but was never the same as the montego what made it super rare was the fact that at the time of it coming off the production line being one of only 1400 built rover had just stopped making them and ran out of the advantage decals to put on boot and bottoms of front doors so the only proof of it being an advantage was the advantage embroidered into the seats and having the mg turbo style spoilers and the white 15 inch alloy wheels on of course the log book it could shift though used to do 120 mph on the motorway at night if you weren’t watching your speed so comfortable to drive and powerful

Comment

If I remember correctly the registration was H591 BNC IN BLACK GREY CLOTH INTERIOR WITH WHITE ADVANTAGE EMBRIODERED INTO THE FRON SEAT BACKRESTS NEAR THE TOP OF EACH SEAT

Comment

Hi and welcome. I've had two Advantages but neither had Advantage on the seats
          1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
          1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
          1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
          2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
          2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
          2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Working...
          X